Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First offroading trip...WOW (with pics)

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    You have no idea how much it bothers me to find areas out in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE where someone just decided to dump a bag of trash or leave a pile of beer bottles. There is just no excuse for it and it is those people who eff it up for everyone else.

Bart
    x2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    x2
    And better yet, for 4th of July I went camping with my dad and brother south of Kyburz along the Silver Fork of the American River (in California). There were 2 organized (fee sites) campsites along the river. Being 4th of July, both were full by the time we got there. But, there are plenty of area around there where you can freely camp in the National Forrest. We found a good spot and spent the weekend there. As per usual, I had a heavy duty trash bag for all of our garbage. A few times during the weekend, I went hiking along the river. As I hiked I would pick up garbage from other people. Beer bottles, cans, plastic water bottles, empty bait tubs, etc. I brought it all back with me to my trash bag. When it was time to leave, we packed up and I found the trash bag to be torn on the bottom and leaking a little. I didn't want it oozing all over my Trooper. Annoying. So, on the way out I stopped in one of the organized camping areas and asked the campsite steward if I could throw my trash out in their dumpster. All I got was SEVERE attitude from the lady. Now, I understand that I was not a paying camper at their site, and they have to pay to get their dumpsters emptied, etc. And all she would have had to do was politely tell me this, and I would have said ok, nevermind, but she turned into a raging beotch when I politely asked (yes I asked, I didn't just do) if I could use their dumpster. I was honestly shocked. Here I am trying to do the right thing and pack out my trash AND I cleaned up after other dirtbags only to be treated like a redneck, white trash scag myself. Nice.

Bart

VXorado, I didn't get the invite to go wheelin' with you. Next time you go let me know and I'll try and get over to you. Which trail did you do and is it over in the Eagle area? Maybe we should pick a day and meet at the top of Cottonwood Pass for a little VX geek out session.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Bookmarked

A former Jeep owner praising a stock VX over a lifted Jeep. This is something for the records for sure. All last week I had to listen to my friend from Chicago bitch about the Trooper (in that case, rightly so because it is a tired old 2.8V6) but at the same time I had to listen to him tell me that a stock Wrangler could out wheel any Isuzu and how a stock Jeep could do the Rubicon with no problem and how my VX could never do the Rubicon and blah blah blah...

Right on, brutha!

Bart
    Seriously,all you got to do is take him to moab next year,
    Dakar was just the begining.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Very nice shots you got there.

There's a nice thread named : Please post all rims & tires.

In that thread you can tease your self looking at so many set ups by members here & over seas.
    Thanks for the info, I will look it up and start obsessing over my future rims and tires.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    Nice pictures.

If you go with 18s, might I suggest going with the Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60/18. It's the perfect tire for the VX. Next, do you have a lift on it already? For about $140, you can purchase larger springs (OME 912 Springs), and crank the torsion bars to give you a 2.5 - 3.0 lift.

Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    I might add you got the best color for the VX too!
    Everyone seems to have the Nittos, I will probably go with those because they look so sexy on the VX. Agreed on the color, gotta love the ironman!

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    That head on pic with the blue sky and clouds...

(maybe lighten it up / adjust contrast just a tad in fotochop...its calendar stuff !)

Welcome to the obsession !

jo
    Thanks, good idea on the pic... a little adjustment and it will be perfect

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous! I love the mountains! Congrats on your first trip. Hope to see you on the 21st of August. I'm sure gonna try to get there also!
    Yes, I really want to make it! I'm sure it will be a lot of fun and it would be nice to see some other VXs/members

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Nice pictures, and beautiful scenery. Colorado appears to be more 4x4 friendly than Washington State, as the U.S.F.S. loves to put barricades on access trails to mountain summits in WA.

If you decide to go for 18" rims, a perfect 32" O.D. tire would be the GENERAL - GRABBER AT2 in P275/65R18 (32" O.D./44 lbs). This incredible lightweight AT tire is snowflake/mountain rated; pre-pinned for studs (if desired), has a deep 17/32nds tread depth and sells for only $150 each while giving you 1.25" more ground clearance over stock. If mounted on the stock OEM 18x7 rims; they are bolt-on perfect with only minor front trimming without any lifting or front torsion bar cranks, thereby preventing possible CV issues caused by lifting.

If you're looking for OEM 18x7 rims, I have a complete set of 4 wheels for sale at $290. Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the addiction. Thanx for sharing your pictures with us and we look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
    Thats too bad about the trails in Washington, I bet it would be a sweet place to explore in a VX. Those grabbers seem to be the best tire overall, everyone has em'

A former Jeep owner praising a stock VX over a lifted Jeep. This is something for the records for sure. All last week I had to listen to my friend from Chicago bitch about the Trooper (in that case, rightly so because it is a tired old 2.8V6) but at the same time I had to listen to him tell me that a stock Wrangler could out wheel any Isuzu and how a stock Jeep could do the Rubicon with no problem and how my VX could never do the Rubicon and blah blah blah...

Right on, brutha!

Bart
    I wanted a Jeep for a long long time, but after buying one I realized how uncomfortable, loud, and unreliable they can be (at least mine). I'm glad I came over from the dark side . Jeep Rubicons are the only stock jeeps that are any good offroad, and they cost $30,000+. Too much money to take off the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    VXorado, I didn't get the invite to go wheelin' with you. Next time you go let me know and I'll try and get over to you. Which trail did you do and is it over in the Eagle area? Maybe we should pick a day and meet at the top of Cottonwood Pass for a little VX geek out session.
    lol sorry it was a very last minute decision and the trail is called Grizzley 4x4 trail near Dotsero. I'll let you know for sure next time... but you'd better make it! No excuses lol . When I figure out my up coming schedule, we will pick a day tackle cottonwood pass and "geek out"

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    You guys enjoy the access to wide open spaces while you can. The winds of change are blowing. It seems the Powers That Be are slowly but surely eliminating cross country routes and coralling you freedom-loving little piggies into pens too...
    Oh, it is happening here, too. I blame ATVs. The property up the hill from me started shutting their gate because they were tired of ATVs tearing up the tundra. Most 4x4 drivers are pretty good about staying in their place.

Not so much with ATVs.

I'm not even sure if it is legal to gate the roads. Most of the area is private property, but the roads are county. I'll have a chat with the sheriff one of these days...

I've been supporting Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition to try to get some education out there. I'd really like to think education will work better than fences.

By the way, I'm going to be in Fairplay this Sunday for their Burro Days. It sounds like they're going to stick me behind a radio all day, but you still might see my proton up there, if you're in the area.