Thread: First offroading trip...WOW (with pics)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    You guys enjoy the access to wide open spaces while you can. The winds of change are blowing. It seems the Powers That Be are slowly but surely eliminating cross country routes and coralling you freedom-loving little piggies into pens too...
    Yeah, it's definitely changing. And just as always, its really a result of a few careless bad apples ruining it for everyone else. You have no idea how much it bothers me to find areas out in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE where someone just decided to dump a bag of trash or leave a pile of beer bottles. There is just no excuse for it and it is those people who eff it up for everyone else. Not to mention all the folks who cut new trails in there "thrill craft" and get all the environmentalist fired up.

The truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter how much you try, you still have a negative impact simply by being a living breathing human. So like you said, enjoy it while you can...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    You have no idea how much it bothers me to find areas out in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE where someone just decided to dump a bag of trash or leave a pile of beer bottles. There is just no excuse for it and it is those people who eff it up for everyone else.

Bart
    x2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    x2
    And better yet, for 4th of July I went camping with my dad and brother south of Kyburz along the Silver Fork of the American River (in California). There were 2 organized (fee sites) campsites along the river. Being 4th of July, both were full by the time we got there. But, there are plenty of area around there where you can freely camp in the National Forrest. We found a good spot and spent the weekend there. As per usual, I had a heavy duty trash bag for all of our garbage. A few times during the weekend, I went hiking along the river. As I hiked I would pick up garbage from other people. Beer bottles, cans, plastic water bottles, empty bait tubs, etc. I brought it all back with me to my trash bag. When it was time to leave, we packed up and I found the trash bag to be torn on the bottom and leaking a little. I didn't want it oozing all over my Trooper. Annoying. So, on the way out I stopped in one of the organized camping areas and asked the campsite steward if I could throw my trash out in their dumpster. All I got was SEVERE attitude from the lady. Now, I understand that I was not a paying camper at their site, and they have to pay to get their dumpsters emptied, etc. And all she would have had to do was politely tell me this, and I would have said ok, nevermind, but she turned into a raging beotch when I politely asked (yes I asked, I didn't just do) if I could use their dumpster. I was honestly shocked. Here I am trying to do the right thing and pack out my trash AND I cleaned up after other dirtbags only to be treated like a redneck, white trash scag myself. Nice.

Bart

VXorado, I didn't get the invite to go wheelin' with you. Next time you go let me know and I'll try and get over to you. Which trail did you do and is it over in the Eagle area? Maybe we should pick a day and meet at the top of Cottonwood Pass for a little VX geek out session.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless