Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VX Starts ok, but runs terrible...

Yes, the craigslist ironman and mine are one, and the same.

I purchased it from a kid who got it from his girlfriends mom, who took great care of it, as far as I can tell... but the kid, not so much. The interior looked as though a landfill and a bowling alley got together and threw-up in it... there was so much trash and debris in it, i debated if I really wanted to spend the money on it... But then again I did get a great deal! (at least I hope so!)

Ok, so changed fuel filter and throtle position sensor and cleaned MAF... but no change in problems... next I'm going to check the catalytic converters.... weird that there are 2... the more I think about it, i wonder if the muffler is clogged?

I'd clean or replace your EGR valve. That made mine run very rough and caused the check engine light to be on. Make sure it's an Isuzu one if you replace it because my dealer used a generic one and had to replace it again in a month or two. Now it runs like brand new!
    Canadian VXer!

HEY new member from Olympia. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier and thanks Brian for the email, been busy kind of. Anyway, PM or email me and I will get back to you with a phone number and then get with you to see IF I can be of any assistance. I live just past Priest Point Park on Boston Harbor RD
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Ah, ha!

At last, the beast roars!... and it really does, due to an exhaust leak. So, the whole stupid problem was that the kid who had it last mixed up the left and the right O2 sensor wiring harnesses... I don't know WHAT he was doing messing with that stuff... but it caused me three and a half weeks of headaches. Also, FYI, 31x11.5x16's are pretty much the biggest tires you can stuff under a vx without a lift...

Quote Originally Posted by l.ectric View Post
    ... Also, FYI, 31x11.5x16's are pretty much the biggest tires you can stuff under a vx without a lift...
    Picture? Photo? Pix?

Quote Originally Posted by l.ectric View Post
    Also, FYI, 31x11.5x16's are pretty much the biggest tires you can stuff under a vx without a lift...
    Well; I'd say you're close, but off by a full inch. According to my calculations, the biggest 16" tire you can fit on a OEM stock 1999 VX without lifting is 32x11.50-16LT or LT285/70R16 (both in 32" O.D.). Tires in these sizes are currently manufactured by Interco, Pit Bull, and Toyo. Due to its 11.5" width, this 32" O.D. tire may possibly require slight hammering of the back portion of the front wheel-wells to clear when turning in addition to normal trimming. The biggest culprit for possible rubbing is the far inner bolt on the back portion of the front-left (driver side) wheel-well. Some VX owner's simply remove this inner bolt entirely without further issue.

Whether a tire rubs or not depends greatly on the wheel it's mounted on. If you use the stock OEM (16x7 or 18x7)wheel when mounting aftermarket tires; this will greatly reduce any rubbing issues, as it has the correct offset and backspacing to help keep the tire neatly tucked within the front wheel-wells.

As a general rule of thumb, the biggest possible tires you can mount on a 100% stock OEM "non-lifted" VX using the stock OEM wheels are:

1999 VX w/16x7 stock wheels:

32x11.50-16LT (32" O.D.)*
    LT285/70R16 (32" O.D.)*
    *Creative trimming and/or hammering required.

2000/2001 VX w/18x7 stock wheels:

P255/70R18 (32" O.D.) - Bolt-on Perfect.
    P275/65R18 (32" O.D.) - Bolt-on Perfect w/slight trimming.
    LT285/65R18 (32.5" O.D.) - Creative trimming and/or hammering required.
    LT275/70R18 (33" O.D.)**
    **Yes, it is possible to mount 33" O.D. tires on a "non-lifted" VX in the narrow 275 series width due to its narrower turning swing-arc. Creative trimming and/or slight hammering required as necessary. Typically; the narrower the tire, the less rubbing interference.

By both not-lifting; and using taller aftermarket tires, you increase both ground clearance and save your VX from possible CV related issues.

IIRC, tire diameter is measured at the body of the tire & does not include the tread depth. A more agressive tread tire can be significantly taller than the same sized tire with a mild tread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.