Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 100 Octane Gas

100 Octane Gas

Anyone ever fill up their VX with 100 octane gas?

Just curious because there is a station here that sells racing fuel (100 octane at $7.65 per gallon ) and I was just thinking it would be an interesting experiment with the VX. I personally notice a difference in "pick-up" when I use premium over regular, so it just got me thinking, what would 100 octane do?

Bart

Doesn't it run hotter & risk burning a valve or ring?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

OK, looks like I was wrong ... but without the higher compression to take advantage of the higher octane rating, there are no benefits.

Well, that's kinda what I was wondering, like, would it do any harm or not...

This was really nothing more than a curiosity, I thought maybe some of the S/Ced VXers out there have maybe tried the high octane stuff.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    (100 octane at $7.65 per gallon ) Bart
    For a whole lot less you can drop a bottle of 104+ octane boost in ypur regular unleaded.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Yeah, like I said, this was nothing more than a curiosity. I've always heard people say that premium shouldn't make a difference in out VXes but...

Bart

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    bart i use premium in my VX always...

the way i figure it, for the extra 2 or 3 dollars a tank, i get better mileage (i have measured it), i get better perceived performance... and it cant be bad for the motor
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Cool

I don't know exactly what gas you were looking at, but I have been involved in motorcycle racing for years. Bikes have very hi compression engines by comparison, usually 11-13:1. I know most racers, the first thing after a race drain the race gas out of their tanks & system, then fill it with pump gas. I don't know how true it is, but I've always heard race gas is VERY corrosive to the fuel system. Just my observation and 2 cents.

It is very likely to be corrosive. Just open that link to wikipedia & see the stuff they add to boost the octane rating.

The only thing worse would be to add acetone - sorry wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post

the way i figure it, for the extra 2 or 3 dollars a tank, i get better mileage (i have measured it), i get better perceived performance... and it cant be bad for the motor
    You absolutely right !
    I also use premium in my horse + drop twice a month a fuel booster in the tank & all i can say is way better,better acceleration,better MPG,better performance & helps maintain your fuel lines much more cleaner.

In regards of the 100 octane fuel i'll 1rst try with 1/2 tank,hit the highway with the tach ready to provide me results after the run
    Dakar was just the begining.

not worth the expense.

We have a company here

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Anyone ever fill up their VX with 100 octane gas?

Just curious because there is a station here that sells racing fuel (100 octane at $7.65 per gallon ) and I was just thinking it would be an interesting experiment with the VX. I personally notice a difference in "pick-up" when I use premium over regular, so it just got me thinking, what would 100 octane do?

Bart
    That does real racing fuel 110 octane at $6.99. I do not use in the VX but do use it in the Jensen as it still has the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer View Post
    Bikes have very hi compression engines by comparison, usually 11-13:1.
    My car has 12:1 compression, yet there is no performance gain from gas above 93 octane . The ecu is not programed too adjust to anything higher . I have yet to get any engine knock from 93 octane .

The VX always gets 87 octane . Now if it was super charged I would definitely try higher octane gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    For a whole lot less you can drop a bottle of 104+ octane boost in ypur regular unleaded.
    A bottle of the 104 Octane mixed with a full tank of 89 octane fuel might give you 89.1 octane. Don't waste your money. I tried it in my Hot Rod days and it's worthless. I ended up using Cam2 (110 octane) and Turbo Blue (105 octane and cheaper then Cam2) back in the late 80's early 90's 2 stations in town had them in the ground during the summer months. But during my longer road trips to shows I ran a mixture of Premium unleaded and Regular Leaded (yes when it was still around) and it wasn't bad. I wasn't going to waste Cam2/Turbo Blue on the interstate. But I know the higher octane (above 100) brought my Blown Big Block to life and it ran 10 to 15 degree's cooler...

Gasmask...Try about 2 or 3 gallons of it per tank full. I bet you'll you'll notice a difference
    Last edited by VCrossfan : 08/24/2009 at 07:27 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post

x3.