Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 100 Octane Gas

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    x4, I try to use V-power but thats because I get tricked by the flashy advertising at Shell

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Anyone ever fill up their VX with 100 octane gas?

Just curious because there is a station here that sells racing fuel (100 octane at $7.65 per gallon ) and I was just thinking it would be an interesting experiment with the VX. I personally notice a difference in "pick-up" when I use premium over regular, so it just got me thinking, what would 100 octane do?

Bart
    Just so you know thats less than a gallon of regular (95) unleaded here !!
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    Just so you know thats less than a gallon of regular (95) unleaded here !!
    Hmmm, tuition is expensive these days at the University of Kentucky (UK).

Exactly how long is this gag lasting for ?????? whatever floats your boat i 'spose !!

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    Exactly how long is this gag lasting for ?????? whatever floats your boat i 'spose !!
    Just showin' my love to ya' Crotchrocket. Keep Rockin'

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    not worth the expense.
    All depens though.
    For instans here in NYC the regular fuel is 2.79 & premium is 2.99 which is only 20 cents more.
    If you do the maths is only $ 4,50 extra for the premium.

When i used the regular fuel i was getting 'bout 16 MPG but with premium my horse is recording 22 MPG (highway) which is 6 more miles.
    Of course traffic conditions & drivings manners apply
    Dakar was just the begining.

I ran about 2 gal cam 2 a few years back with about 3 gallons of existing tank (93oct). It's rated 114oct IIRC. This was the summer after I installed the S/C and I anticipated running it 1/4mile at a track north of here. Figures, I dump the fuel in when I am in the pits and then the skies open up for the rest of the day, closing the track.

Morale of the story - it wasn't meant to be and a greater power was warning me.

I did run out the rest of the fuel, mostly on my ride home and revs were higher w/ snappier throttle response. That's about it really. Considering I wasn't on the track and it was raining, I didn't really get into it. But nothing beats the smell of burned off Cam. Just glad no po-po smelled it.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Interesting. Thanks, guys.

Bart

Did you really think that we could answer a simple question like "is high octane mo betta" in less than 22 posts?

Silly boy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i get tricked by their damn flashy advertising too... every time i fill up there, im like 'oohhh v-power!' then i think about how stupid i am for falling for it....

although, it does seem to run nice on their fuel... shell is definately my favorite gas
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    x4, I try to use V-power but thats because I get tricked by the flashy advertising at Shell
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Be advised that Turbo Blue types of high octane fuel may end up costing you more than just the additional price-per-gallon at the pump. Those fuels are designed to be run in (for the most part) open exhaust systems.

When the chemicals that are added to provide the higher octane ratings start to come into contact with the chemical compositions in stock catalytic converters, bad things start to happen (namely, turning you cat into a rattle can type party favor full of all the chunks of material that "used" to make up the original single piece of catalyst).

So unless you had been wanting to spend some $$$ to replace the stock cats with some high-performance replacements anyway, you might want to think twice before running that 100+ octane stuff.

Aint got no cats

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Be advised that Turbo Blue types of high octane fuel may end up costing you more than just the additional price-per-gallon at the pump. Those fuels are designed to be run in (for the most part) open exhaust systems.

When the chemicals that are added to provide the higher octane ratings start to come into contact with the chemical compositions in stock catalytic converters, bad things start to happen (namely, turning you cat into a rattle can type party favor full of all the chunks of material that "used" to make up the original single piece of catalyst).

So unless you had been wanting to spend some $$$ to replace the stock cats with some high-performance replacements anyway, you might want to think twice before running that 100+ octane stuff.

got no fuel injection, got no ECU just got 2 carbs and a Lotus motor it was designed for lead in the gas and power