Thread: Quick question

Quick question

My engine light just went on and I've only had the car for a week. There's 51000 miles and I would like to know if that's just for scheduled maintenance?
    Also, the car downshifts, when you take your foot of the gas, like you went from 4rd to 2nd. Is that normal?
    The car doesnt' spray windshield washer fluid either.
    I should've checked the car better I guess.
    Thanks

The CE (Check Engine) light comes on only if there is a problem, not to show it's time for maintenance. First thing to check is the gas cap. If you just recently filled up, chances are you didn't get the cap on tight enough. Sometimes it is picky.

Search for rough shift as that can be a common problem with the VX but it does have remedies.

Check the windshield fluid reservoir for fluid, if it has any then check to see if the pump is working. If it does, then you can clean the nozzle holes very carefully.. You can search for that as well 'cuz it's been gone over before.. I'll see what I might come up with too.
    Scott / moncha.com

Welcome Steve! You just scared the crap out of every new VX owner out there! LOL

The engine light comes on quite a bit in my experience - and not just mine. There is an accompanying computer code that comes with it for diagnosis of the problem. Auto Zone or other auto shops like that usually have the diagnostic tool needed to get the code. After that, you use the code to point you in the right direction. Others will have more info than I do but that is the short of it.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Steve,

The engine light could be any number of things, but generally isn't anything catastrophic. The first thing to check, and I know this sounds silly but it works, is the gas cap. When you tighten it down make sure that it clicks at least three times to make sure it's sealed good and tight. Sometimes that's all you need to make the CEL (check engine light) go off. Also, when you bought the VX did you bring it up in altitude? Sometimes when I drive around the mountains my CEL will come on, but it's usually just due to a drastic change in altitude and it usually goes away. If that doesn't work you can go to your local Autozone/Checkers/O'Reily's and have them read the engine code (usually for free) and then bring that code back here and a few on the site may be able to tell you what the code means.

When does the transmission downshift happen? Right as you let your foot off the gas, or as you're coasting to a stop? My VX has had a hard downshift (probably to first) as I come to a stop since the day I bought it. If you only get a hard downshift then it wouldn't be the mode selection switch which has gone out on a few fellow VXers and causes some harsh shifting in both directions.

As for the windshield washers; another stupid question-there is fluid in the reservoir right? If you put some in and it seems to quickly flow back out then the hose leading to the washers themselves may have fallen off of the bottom of the reservoir (mine does this at least once a year) and you'll just need to put it back on. If fluid stays in the reservoir then check to make sure that the tubes leading to the washers aren't kinked or pinched anywhere. If THAT'S good then check to see if the washers, themselves are clogged with gunk (wax, dirt, etc.) If that's all honky-dory when you pull the stalk to use the washer can you hear the pump in the reservoir working? If not it may be disconnected or just kaput.

Hope some of that helps. Make sure to get into the search function to hunt some of this stuff down.

None of these sound that serious so I wouldn't second guess you're purchase. The VX has it quirks, but that's why we love them.

Welcome to the family.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Steve,

As others have stated, a CEL can come on for any number of reasons. It's rarely catestrophic. We'll help you out all we can as soon as you get the code read.

My light came on very soon after I purchased it too. I know the feeling.

Mine was just a case of needing the Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaned.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Oh yeah, I should warn you... if the CEL starts blinking instead of "just came on" stop driving and shut it down to risk doing damage. Blinking CEL = BAD!

Wrench

Hi steve !
    I had my CEL on almost since I bought the horse,after the mech check it over it comes down to be the charcoal canister (matter of fact gonna have it replaced this weekend)

Usually the problem is related to the emission system such as vent solenoids,cut off valves,old cracked hoses or leaks so don't panic.
    I'll focus my attention on the trans shifter 1rst.
    Dakar was just the begining.

"Blinking CEL = BAD!"

Absolutely correct. A blinking CEL should provide you the same feeling as getting a lightning bolt dropped down your shorts. (Laugh now - you'll learn later).

& until things pan out - keep a very close eye on your oil level.

Also go to the How2 section and read what's involved with changing your tranny fluid. It's not difficult and MAY smooth out your shift.

New VX hiccups...

Scared the crap outta myself the other day when transporting some new skis in a big ol box. Had it resting on the armrest and back to the rear seat backs. It slipped down just a bit and pushed the gear shift into neutral. I nearly pooped a planet at first not know that was the cause... I just felt a loss in power and a big ol rev.

When my heart started beating again I figgered it out.

I'll never do THAT again.

also several members

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bourmas View Post
    My engine light just went on and I've only had the car for a week. There's 51000 miles and I would like to know if that's just for scheduled maintenance?
    Also, the car downshifts, when you take your foot of the gas, like you went from 4rd to 2nd. Is that normal?
    The car doesnt' spray windshield washer fluid either.
    I should've checked the car better I guess.
    Thanks
    have experienced the hose coming off