Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: my new bumper

my new bumper

new bumper is 4x2 11ga steel tubing, notched and bent to follow the now cut in half cladding.

front receiver in new bumper

mount brackets to frame

lower cladding will attach to bottom and be removable for wheeling

i should have good ground clearance

I will be adding led turn signals in the round holes cut in the steel. the old turn signals in the lower cladding will house driving lights. I'll be adding a skid plate from the steel bumper to the front of the skid bar front plate. should have every thing done by the end of the week.

Looks good!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Now that's how I would integrate a bulletproof bumper into the front of a VX! Looks like a ton of work, but the final result was worthy. I wonder about painting the bumper to match the proton yellow.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

have not decided what color to paint it yet, yellow has crossed my mind.

Very nice. I will hopefully have mine done in the next week or so.
    How did you bend 11ga square tubing? That is the one thing I can't do, and it kills me. At least I am no longer alone....way to make mine look bad

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I just cut notches in the back, bent it and welded the seem.

Quote Originally Posted by orion View Post
    I just cut notches in the back, bent it and welded the seem.
    What did you bend it with? I am looking at my 12ga and 8ga tubing, and there is no way I am bending that, with notches cut out or not. What type of steel did you use?

Thumbs up

Orion,
    How long has this project been going on? When I saw the thread I assumed it was Marlin's. When I saw the pics I thought Marlin changed his plan up. I didn't realize it was your until I saw Marlin reply.

BTW - Very nice workmanship!

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

The tubing is just mild steel , i bent it by hand. it wasn't easy, but it can be done .

this project has taken about 10 hours over 4 days. you haft to realize i have every tool you would need at my job. and I've done stuff like this before.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post
    Now that's how I would integrate a bulletproof bumper into the front of a VX! Looks like a ton of work, but the final result was worthy. I wonder about painting the bumper to match the proton yellow.....
    X 2 !!!

Lookin' Great Greg, nice approach angle......
    Last edited by Ldub : 08/31/2009 at 12:20 AM

:::P:::E:::R:::F:::E:::C:::T:::!:::!:::!:::

Greg that looks awesome, that's the best lookin' VX front bumper out there! You're a genius! It completely keeps the sexy VX lines yet makes it a tank at the same time! That's the first I've ever seen like that! :::P:::E:::R:::F:::E:::C:::T::::::
    Congrats! Way to go!
    I want one!!
    Last edited by VX KAT : 08/30/2009 at 10:29 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Greg that looks awesome, that's the best lookin' VX front bumper out there! You're a genius! It completely keeps the sexy VX lines yet makes it a tank at the same time! That's the first I've ever seen like that! :::P:::E:::R:::F:::E:::C:::T::::::
    Congrats! Way to go!
    I want one!!
    ORION (Greg)--- x2. I concur 100% with VX-KAT. If somehow you could make that Front Bumper into a "KIT FORM" and market it for sale to the rest of us, it would undoubtably be a hot seller!!! Your engineering, craftsmanship, and fabrication skills are incomprehensible, along with your speed of accomplishment. The front bumper is extremely beefy, clean and sexy looking, while maintaining the sweet lines of the VX. I can't wait to see your incorporation of the front skid-plate project. Simply stellar.

An idea for a possible front bumper color is "Extreme Chrome" (powder-coat). This is actually a powder-coat paint color, and is basically a clone-chrome (without the expense of real chrome-plating).

EDIT: In looking in your Photo Gallery; before you fabricated your current front bumper, I noticed you had an earlier version of just a square receiver hitch stealthy mounted behind the front license plate opening. This is way cool. For those of us that want an instant bumper, a Nerf Bar Style Step Bumper could be easily inserted in the front hitch license plate opening. Much like the same way many VX'ers currently use their rear receiver hitch for the Nerf Bar Style Step Bumper. In that regard, the VX would have identical "matching" front & rear bumpers and easily removed if so desired. Having said that, perhaps you could just make a "KIT FORM" front receiver hitch package identical to your stealth license plate opening version (without the bumper). Thus, us layman type VX folks could just insert the commercially available Nerf Bar Style Step Bumper in the stealth front receiver hitch license plate opening for an instant front bumper. Genious.

Sidebar Note for VX member "Travelin2"-- see John, if you had a front bumper like that with a square receiver hitch in front, then you could easily tow the VX behind your MotorHome camper. Hmmm, time to ponder.
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 08/31/2009 at 03:09 AM

Quote Originally Posted by orion View Post
    The tubing is just mild steel , i bent it by hand. it wasn't easy, but it can be done .

this project has taken about 10 hours over 4 days. you haft to realize i have every tool you would need at my job. and I've done stuff like this before.
    Tools...I am buying mine as I go, and certainly do not have the skill and experience you have. I don't think I can bend mine the same way, it is all LAHS steel. I will experiment this evening though.
    Once again, it looks amazing!!!!

Looks great!! certainly something i'd be interested. I've been looking at making the geolander bull bars but now i'm torn! Any chance of a quick sketch and some dimensions ??
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Wanna fly out and help me with mine?