Thread: It's a Jeep thing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    You have to admit it though Zeus, the jeepers can kind of bring it on with their "you wouldn't understand...it's a jeep thing" stickers!
    Exactly.

In any case, it was the 'stuck in a parking lot' that amused me more than anything. The make and model doesn't really mean anything. Even if it was a Honda Civic stuck in the mud, there'd still be the mystery of how the hell they got it there.

On that note, what happened in this picture? Someone already mentioned that they had the wrong tires. Maybe I've been living in drought areas too long, because it seems around here, you never see landscaping that soft.

"you never see landscaping that soft."

I took my old Dodge P'up (RIP) to work at Fort A.P. Hill, VA years ago. I got in early to set up equipment & was the only one there. I needed a target to sight in on so I parked the Dodge near a fence about 50 yards out in a nice grassy area. Everything was fine until I went to move it about an hour later. It had sunk to the frame. Only the first 6 inches of soil was firm, the rest was at about the consistency of mashed potatoes.

It took a tank recovery vehicle to pull me out.

Would've made a great picture.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Something like that actually happened to me several years ago. My lil CJ5 was kicking arse all over this offroad park - at the time, it was a free for all so you could go anywhere without worry of a trail system. Then I came to a lower region full of alkali-rich soil. Odd stuff, like you said, it had an outer layer of crust, but underneath was soft disgusting goo. In an instant, my Jeep lowered over a foot. There was no digging it out so luckily someone else was able to strap it out. That gunk was stuck in my frame for years until I finally did a frame off rebuild! Funny tho, you could pat on what seemed to be hard ground but it would jiggle... I called it an earth boob! After I associated it with boob it was tough to leave. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "you never see landscaping that soft."

I took my old Dodge P'up (RIP) to work at Fort A.P. Hill, VA years ago. I got in early to set up equipment & was the only one there. I needed a target to sight in on so I parked the Dodge near a fence about 50 yards out in a nice grassy area. Everything was fine until I went to move it about an hour later. It had sunk to the frame. Only the first 6 inches of soil was firm, the rest was at about the consistency of mashed potatoes.

It took a tank recovery vehicle to pull me out.

Would've made a great picture.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Funny tho, you could pat on what seemed to be hard ground but it would jiggle... I called it an earth boob! After I associated it with boob it was tough to leave. LOL
    WTF???...

So the Erf IS your mother?...

That thing gotta Hemi?

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    Exactly.

In any case, it was the 'stuck in a parking lot' that amused me more than anything. The make and model doesn't really mean anything. Even if it was a Honda Civic stuck in the mud, there'd still be the mystery of how the hell they got it there.

On that note, what happened in this picture? Someone already mentioned that they had the wrong tires. Maybe I've been living in drought areas too long, because it seems around here, you never see landscaping that soft.
    It is bizzarre. I had to ponder what kind of soil would be that squishy and gooey and still be good for the grass... so maybe you ARE right... it is a Jeep thing!