Thread: Yokohama Geolanders AT

Yokohama Geolanders AT

After discovering that the Cooper Zeon LTZ in 285 60R 18s would not fit possibly due to my non OEM rims I researched tires for the past two weeks and finally decided upon the Geolander ATs in 275 60R 18s due to their aggressive tread design needed for a particular mountain pass in VT I use during the winter and tire longevity. My out the door cost was $840. Initial impressions are very good noting they are exceptionally quiet as compared to my Nittos. The 1 1/2 lift due to the tire height is interesting as I find that I gotta get the right leg up a bit higher when getting in and there is also the subtle perceptual change of driving a bit higher. I also discovered that people just don't walk by it when it's parked anymore which is fun to watch. Looking forward to the first snow storm.

Last edited by ScottinMA : 09/27/2009 at 09:29 AM
    Scott

Rain test

Yesterday it poured on the cape and deep water driving was said to have occurred on the roads. Blasted through many a puddle without and problem and I was trying to push these puppies into something challenging. So the water test passes in flying colors.

I've had these same tires on for 2 years now, and yea, they've held up well even with 90% of my use strictly on asphalt. When they were brand new I broke them in on Triathlete's annual camping trip where we did do some moderate trailblazing and crawled over a few relatively easy trenches and logs and (big) rocks and stuff--and they were great.
    But yes, quiet, and good on wet roads/freeways. (Yes, I'm in San Diego; but when it rains it DOES pour!)
    - you have to know what it is to know what it is -

Firestone destination A/T are great tires, ive had mine the whole time ive had my vx since dec 07 (45k) and theyve held up great. I put about 70 miles a day highway on em and they still look great. Ive only broken loose once and that was in a gas station parking lot after an ice storm, slid about 15 feet but hooked back up. No complaints, they handle all weather pretty well. Just throwin that out there.

I have these on mine the japanese version - we had the snow last winter and they were superbe - i had to use 2wd to even get the rear out a bit - in 4wd they stick to the road even in deep snow
    cheers
    Steve
    Isuzu Vehicross 3.2 V6 24 Valve

I find

Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
    I have these on mine the japanese version - we had the snow last winter and they were superbe - i had to use 2wd to even get the rear out a bit - in 4wd they stick to the road even in deep snow
    cheers
    Steve
    the deeper the snow the better traction no matter what tire

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    nice tires man...

definately an option for the new runner
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Yup, ScottinMA definately made the right choice given his situation with his wide 9" wheels and resulting rubbing issues.

What's so unique about the Yokohama - Geolandar A/T-S in 275/60R18 (31" O.D./42 lbs) is it is the "only" true A/T tire in that specific size!!! All of the other tires currently on the market in 275/60R18 are either H/T (Highway Type) or dedicated true Snow Tires (with soft compound rubber & extensive siping for winter grip; but very poor tread wear).

The Yoko - Geo A/T-S is very durable and has a very aggressive meaty tread pattern capable of chewing up any terrain and uses a harder rubber compound for very long tread wear. It will likely be the last tire ScottinMA will have to buy for his VX due to the expected long mileage tread wear of the Yoko - Geo A/T-S. In addition, the wider 275 series width gives the VX a wider mean stance appearance and at 31" O.D. it gives the VX a ground clearance increase of 0.75" over the OEM stock tire (29.5" O.D.). Well done, Scott!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Yup, ScottinMA definately made the right choice given his situation with his wide 9" wheels and resulting rubbing issues.

What's so unique about the Yokohama - Geolandar A/T-S in 275/60R18 (31" O.D./42 lbs) is it is the "only" true A/T tire in that specific size!!! All of the other tires currently on the market in 275/60R18 are either H/T (Highway Type) or dedicated true Snow Tires (with soft compound rubber & extensive siping for winter grip; but very poor tread wear).

The Yoko - Geo A/T-S is very durable and has a very aggressive meaty tread pattern capable of chewing up any terrain and uses a harder rubber compound for very long tread wear. It will likely be the last tire ScottinMA will have to buy for his VX due to the expected long mileage tread wear of the Yoko - Geo A/T-S. In addition, the wider 275 series width gives the VX a wider mean stance appearance and at 31" O.D. it gives the VX a ground clearance increase of 0.75" over the OEM stock tire (29.5" O.D.). Well done, Scott!!!
    Thanks Brian

Scott,
    Did you buy those locally or use an on-line retailer? just asking for future reference.

Sam

My first set of Geolanders ATS only lasted for 20K (99% on asphalt). Due to the factory warranty I paid approximately half price for the second set. No other complaints. Much better than the Bridgestones in deep snow.

Quote Originally Posted by sleveritt View Post
    Scott,
    Did you buy those locally or use an on-line retailer? just asking for future reference.

Sam
    I got the best price I could find on the internet and printed it out and walked into Town Fair Tire who will match any legitimate quote. Had them mount, balance and do a 4 wheel alignment. I'm really happy with tires.

Thought I'd this thread again for the benefit of "MILE HIGH VX". With your new MB wheels in 18x8.5" and your desire to minimize cladding trim, your desires exactly mimic those of "SCOTTinMA". You may want to consider the Yokohama - Geolandar A/T-S in 275/60R18 as your choice of tire.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Thanks so much. That's why it's great to be part of this community.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Loved those Geolandars so much on my first VX that I ran out and bought the same ones for my current VX. Really good choice for our ride. Mine are the HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16).
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate