Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tire decision question :

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329

Tire decision question :

Need to get a set of 4 -

It seems the OEM tire has been discontinued, and the replacement model has both gone up in price (180ish per) and down in handling quality (according to tire rack's testing)
    ... I was never thrilled with the Duelers anyway (even though Etlsprt and I were surprised how well we did crawling around Rausch Creek 4x4 park a couple years ago on the stock treads.)

Anyway, I decided that am up-sizing; and I am just about convinced that I am going to go along with the trend here - 285/60 18.

I had a short list but already dumped a few (i.e. Geolander for wear, and Terra Grappler's for cost) and narrowed down to two:

Cooper Zeon LTZ - $135 ea
    Fuzion XTi - $118 ea

In the 6.5 years I had my VX, I only truly went off-roading once.
    So anything equal to or slightly better than the OEM Bridgestones is sufficient

I am mostly concerned about rain traction; and being near Philadelphia, the occasional heavy snow.

The Coopers look incredible! But how are they in rain? How well do they wear on dry highway? How well do they corner? www.offroaders.com gives them an 9.0 out of 10.

The Fuzion tires are a bit more affordable. And being that they are made by Bridgestone, I expect them to be at least similar and probably better than the OEM. They appear a bit more 'street' friendly by description, but are still considered all terrain/off road by the manufacturer. Tire rack's ratings puts them as 6th out of 21 tires, with a 9.0 rating out of 10 for 'people would buy them again', and 96% ranking against their #1 tire i the class

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Spike : 09/27/2009 at 10:28 AM
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Spike, I can't help ya, but I know some our resident tire experts will reply as they get on-line.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    Spike, I can't help ya, but I know some our resident tire experts will reply as they get on-line.
    Thanks, I was thinking once this thread was spotted it would start to roll...
    I just haven't posted in a very long while.

Anyway, If you are referring to Etlsport as one of the experts ... Eric and I hang out a lot, but he doesn't have any experience with either of those two specific models

So I guess I am mostly asking people who have/had either of them and can answer by experience

My Goodness

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post

Dear Handeeman I am sure Spike appreciates the post it includes so much helpful info HAHA

As no one else has posted THE SEARCH ENGINE IS YOUR FRIEND

Why is it everytime someone needs or wants to buy tires they feel the need to start a whole new thread, I bet there are dozens of tire threads by now with all the info you need with none of the waiting for someone to post. Starting a new thread just requires the need for the same info to be posted again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    I bet there are dozens of tire threads by now
    Which is why searching takes forever...

By the way - and just an FYI - I DID use the search engine

... But there wasn't a single VX owner who has treferenced the Fuzion XTi ... at least no one who may own them has posted that they do in fact own them.

Yet TireRack.com ranks them quite highly ... (I guess highly among non-VX owners)

Ford and Toyota owners have referenced them on their forums ... but that doesnt nescessarily apply to a VehiCross, does it?

If it is frowned upon to ask a valid question, what is the point of my belonging to a forum that I like to visit on and off for the past 7 years?

Yes, there ARE a lot of tire posts ...
    Some people may ask questions about tires, some people like to post pictures of their new treads ... My point is, we all have different questions, opinions, points of view, needs, wants, thoughts. That is what a forum is all about. It is free form. Unless someone wants to poll through all the various bits of data, discard the outdated items, compile relevant topics and create a master database, this is how it is going to be. It is a little too late to worry about the structure of the forum/search engine/database now.

Prices change, new products come and go ... etc

and with that said ... does ANYONE know ANYTHING about the Fuzion XTi ? (Bridgestone)

Spike- Let me know if you want any specific pics or anything of the LTZs that would help you make decision...happy to take more & post.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I've had the Cooper Zeon LTZs 285/60-18s on stock/OEM rims, on my stock non-lifted or altered VX for about 2 months now. (You've probably seen my thread on them with lots of pics). I think I'm the only VXer on here to have these so far.
    ~Haven't been in a torrential rainstorm with them, just a rather heavy one and a lot of mud on my "dirt" road after the Arizona Monsoon rains this summer.
    ~Did great in/through the mud/muck puddles.
    ~they have extra siping on the lowest part of tire (recessed part) for extra traction as the tire torques a bit under load, supposed to give more traction.
    (there's a pic in my gallery)
    ~Seem to have low/very good highway noise (but I'm told by pbkid that changes as any A/T tire wears down).
    ~'Course I put a roof rack on with a fairing shortly after I got these, and that makes noise so I probably can't hear the tires even if they did make some noise.
    ~even with the fairing, I don't have much noise at all
    ~they drive really smooth on pavement, much smoother than I expected based on aggressive tread pattern
    ~Haven't had them long enough to comment on treadlife or wear.
    ~They have pretty square shoulders and lots of siping and they do handle well in corners.
    ~They definitely give a beefier/wider look to the VX in this size, they fill up the wheel well much better
    ~only required a small triangle shape trim off front outer part of cladding.

I'm very pleased with them so far.

Here's the 2 threads so you can see what they look like on a stock VX....and yer killin' me as I paid about $170 each after much searching!

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ooper+zeon+ltz

Last edited by VX KAT : 10/02/2009 at 07:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post

Here's the 2 threads so you can see what they look like on a stock VX....and yer killin' me as I paid about $170 each after much searching!

Actually Kat, your pics is what got me interested in those wheels in the first place. I hadn't shopped around other than 'tire rack' and 'discount tires direct' (and Sears since Etlsport works there) until your post.

Don't be ticked about the cost - that was the each price before shipping ... so it will be $20 more per.

Zeon LTZ air pressure ?

I've had the Cooper Zeon LTZs 285/60-18s on stock/OEM rims, on my stock non-lifted or altered VX for about 2 months now. (You've probably seen my thread on them with lots of pics). I think I'm the only VXer on here to have these so far.
    ~Haven't been in a torrential rainstorm with them, just a rather heavy one and a lot of mud on my "dirt" road after the Arizona Monsoon rains this summer.
    Hey Kat!
    Been almost a week with the LTZs ... (but not many miles)

They are GREAT i the rain and big puddles! I was lucky enough to have a good storm roll through on Saturday

Anyway, what pressure are you running? My mechanic pumped them up to 45 and I am wondering if thats a bit much.

45 seems high to me. I'd be concerned about breaking a bead if a tire takes a good hit.

What psi is the tire rated for (should be on the sidewall)?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    45 seems high to me. I'd be concerned about breaking a bead if a tire takes a good hit.

What psi is the tire rated for (should be on the sidewall)?
    Max pressure is 50

OK, so that tire can take it.

You're running OEM rims correct? Need to determine if the rims can take that pressure as well. In this case, I'd follow the ratings on the sticker on the door jam of the VX.

The last thing I'd suggest is to chalk a line across the tread of the tire, move the VX only enough to have the chalk line touch the pavement a couple of times, then check to see if the chalk is rubbed off evenly across the entire width of the tread.

Of course, keep an eye on wear over time as well. If the center of the tread is wearing too fast, lower the pressure. If the outside edges of the tread is wearing faster, increase the pressure. If there is cupping or uneven wear, get your alignment checked (actually cupping is usually caused by worn shocks rather than alignment).

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Hey Kat!
    Been almost a week with the LTZs ... (but not many miles)

They are GREAT i the rain and big puddles! I was lucky enough to have a good storm roll through on Saturday

Anyway, what pressure are you running? My mechanic pumped them up to 45 and I am wondering if thats a bit much.
    Kool!!!!! Only a fellow VXer could appreciate the visual of seeing a VX go rammin' through puddles and probably turning and braking! It's just what we do!
    I still haven't had any rain since I last posted...so good to know they're good in the rain on pavement!
    I've got mine at 40 psi...much higher was too punishing on my dirt/rocky road.

PICTURES! PICTURES!

Kool!!!!! I still haven't had any rain since I last posted...so good to know they're good in the rain on pavement!
    I've got mine at 40 psi...much higher was too punishing on my dirt/rocky road.

PICTURES! PICTURES!
    Tom, yea it seems they can take the higher pressurest ... and to answer your q: yes, stock 18x7 rims ...
    I find irony there, being that you lower pressure when going off road, etc.

Kat, Agreed, expected a somewhat harder ride but WOW! the end of my 'street' is gravel and has some deep potholes ... you can really feel it there!

Pics will be posted when I take a few more (and then remember how to add them on here - been a while)