Thread: Tire decision question :

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329

Tire decision question :

Need to get a set of 4 -

It seems the OEM tire has been discontinued, and the replacement model has both gone up in price (180ish per) and down in handling quality (according to tire rack's testing)
    ... I was never thrilled with the Duelers anyway (even though Etlsprt and I were surprised how well we did crawling around Rausch Creek 4x4 park a couple years ago on the stock treads.)

Anyway, I decided that am up-sizing; and I am just about convinced that I am going to go along with the trend here - 285/60 18.

I had a short list but already dumped a few (i.e. Geolander for wear, and Terra Grappler's for cost) and narrowed down to two:

Cooper Zeon LTZ - $135 ea
    Fuzion XTi - $118 ea

In the 6.5 years I had my VX, I only truly went off-roading once.
    So anything equal to or slightly better than the OEM Bridgestones is sufficient

I am mostly concerned about rain traction; and being near Philadelphia, the occasional heavy snow.

The Coopers look incredible! But how are they in rain? How well do they wear on dry highway? How well do they corner? www.offroaders.com gives them an 9.0 out of 10.

The Fuzion tires are a bit more affordable. And being that they are made by Bridgestone, I expect them to be at least similar and probably better than the OEM. They appear a bit more 'street' friendly by description, but are still considered all terrain/off road by the manufacturer. Tire rack's ratings puts them as 6th out of 21 tires, with a 9.0 rating out of 10 for 'people would buy them again', and 96% ranking against their #1 tire i the class

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Spike : 09/27/2009 at 10:28 AM
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets