Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tire decision question :

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Spike- Let me know if you want any specific pics or anything of the LTZs that would help you make decision...happy to take more & post.
    Thank you very much Kat, your pics are great ... Like i said, I saw your previous posts, they really caught my eye. That is what prompted me to investigate the LTZs in the first place. Now that price is pretty much taken out of the equation, I might just be going in that direction! I just wish i knew a little more about the wet asphalt/concrete handling. I like to corner tight on some of the winding back roads out near where I live.

I know that no single tire is great at everything, and I know that when you gain one advantage you lose another. I am not looking for the PERFECt tire, it does not exist ... just a tire that is perfect for me and my VX
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

P.S. Sorry if my previous post was a bit harsh ... not looking to start a battle. Just make a couple points.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    P.S. Sorry if my previous post was a bit harsh ... not looking to start a battle. Just make a couple points.
    SPIKE--- No harm, no foul. I've painfully found out that everybody's unique especially when it comes to tires. As much as I praise the Grabber AT2 and Pro-Comp A/T, not everybody likes them or they just don't fit everybody's personal lifestyle or budget.

For example; I initially tried to convince VX-KAT towards the AT2 or P/C-A/T, and she just wasn't a big fan of the BFG A/T type tread pattern. After further E-Mail inquiry, I discovered she favored the tread style pattern of the Nitto T/G; and wanted something simular, but with a different flair to set herself apart from the normal crowd. Thus, after an intensive search I found the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" for her which hit a home-run.

You indicated in your first post that your main focus was for rain capability with an occassional snow in PA, along with an inexpensive price. Thus, the Fierce ST seemed to fit your original parameters. Later; you fine tuned your criteria with a desire to have a more macho/aggressive tread pattern and less of a street tire, but still be inexpensive. Perhaps, the "LTZ" is now a better match for you.

In both cases (your's & VX-KAT), I just happened to stumble upon various tires out on the market that I never knew existed before (like the "LTZ" & "Fierce ST"). The search feature on this forum is a great tool, but is not perfect since everyone is different and has different criteria parameters regarding tires. In addition; as time goes by, new technologies are implemented and new tires are introduced in the marketplace. A search from old obsolete forum postings would be futile in that regard. Bottom Line-- if you don't ask the question (like you did), then how can we possibly help you???

For me, I love helping people on this VX forum and take great pride if maybe just one of my suggestions somehow benefit another fellow VX'er. It's the least I can do from all of the other great advice I absorb from my fellow VX'ers here on this forum. SPIKE, thank you for giving us the opportunity to help you. Please ask anytime.

Riff, thanks much, and you hit it on the head, I need to fine tune my requirements. While I did that in my head to get through my original short list, I still needed to refine it a bit more

Yes while dry capability and bad weather traction are most important, asthetics does play into it as well ... The Fuzions have different patterns on each of the sidewalls... a tribal pattern on one side and flames on the other. An their tread, while not as radical and blocky as a terra g's or Zeon, is still on the aggressive side as compared to the Fierce ST ... The Fierce tire just does not look like it would do too well in snow

What are your thoughts of 285/55 instead of 285/60?

a 285 55 is going to be harder to mount... factory rims are only 7" wide.. most 285s recommend 8-9" rims.. if you notice with my falkens, the tire sucks so far back to the rim, it was impossible to put standard wheel weights on it, so we had to use the sticky weights on the inside of the wheel (which looks better.. but its a real pita)

youll also run into not being able to find as many different tires in a 285/55

running a 265/60 would be about the same height, expand your options, but save a bit of weight and possibly cost

Just bought some Sumitomo HTR A/T's. Quiet, grips in dry and rain (haven't done snow with this. I really like these tires.

Riff, thanks much, and you hit it on the head, I need to fine tune my requirements. The Fuzions have different patterns on each of the sidewalls... a tribal pattern on one side and flames on the other. An their tread, while not as radical and blocky as a terra g's or Zeon, is still on the aggressive side as compared to the Fierce ST ... The Fierce tire just does not look like it would do too well in snow

What are your thoughts of 285/55 instead of 285/60?

SPIKE--- Hmmm, after analyzing what you said regarding sidewall appearance and considering your price point "comfort zone" target of $120 per tire; then yes, the FUZION XTi in 285/60R18 might just be your #1 winner. Further, I noticed the Fuzion XTi has both a deeper tread depth of 15/32nds (for great snow traction) and a lighter unsprung weight of 45 lbs than the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" (14/32nds & 49 lbs, respectively).

As Cragar34 mentioned; I too had thought about the SUMITOMO - HTR Sport A/T (31.3/44 lbs), which has a comparable tread pattern to the Nitto T.G. with the added feature of OWL (personally, I really like OWL). However; the Sumitomo has a shallower tread depth of 13/32nds when compared to the Fuzion XTi, and is way more expensive.

There are only two(2) tires in 285/55R18 (30" O.D.) worth a hoot with "snow capability", and will still fit on the stock OEM 18x7 rim. This size tire is very close to the OEM stock O.D. of 29.5", which will help maintain speedometer accuracy within 1 -- 2 MPH. They are:
    o MAXXIS - MA-S1 MARAUDER
    o COOPER - ZEON "XST" (yes, "XST"); although this may be a "discontinued" tire as this specific size "XST" is not on the factory Cooper website anymore, but still available on-line from various tire retailers.

In regards to EtlSport's 265/60R18 alternative size recommendation; you may find this tire to be too skinny-n-narrow and will not give the VX a wide mean looking appearance, thereby making the VX look kinda' meek & mousy. In my opinion, the most narrow size width tire a person should ever put on a VX is a 275 series. Most VX's look best when either a 275 or 285 series width tire is installed to help "fill-up" the huge VX wheel-wells and to give it a wider mean appearance.

In reconsideration of your sidewall appearance preference (tribal/flames), meaty aggressive tread requirement, deep tread depth (15/32nds) for snow, lighter weight, and especially your wallet comfort zone of $120 (+/-) per tire; I now highly recommend the FUZION XTi in 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D./45 lbs) as choice #1.

When sniffing around the internet for tires (besides the normal TireRack & Discount Tire websites); please also visit www.1010Tires.com (awesome 5-tire side-by-side comparison calculator), www.OnLineTires.com (great variety from obscure brands), and www.Treadepot.com (competitive sale prices). Of note, I really like www.TireRack.com for their great close-up pictures and especially their "specifications page" with tread depth data and individual tire weights (for "unsprung weight" concerns).
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 10/01/2009 at 03:33 AM

Fuzions

Anything you need to know about the Fuzions let me know! Well built Tire good in snow

Quote Originally Posted by sloop View Post
    Anything you need to know about the Fuzions let me know! Well built Tire good in snow
    Thanks Sloop ... do you know how they are in rain / wet roads?

Yes, I am still wavering between these two tires ... even after looking at the aforementioned Maxxis maurauder, zeon XST and Fierce ST (too street) and then looked at the Fierce attidute M/T (too mud/off road) and a few others

Zeon LTZ tread looks like it 'may' push more water off to the sides and away from the tire

I like the overall tread of the Fusion as well
    And I especially like that if I put the 'flame' sidewall side out - that i dont have FUZION in huge letters splashed across the tire

Here are a couple more links of images that I have been looking at since I cant find either of these tires at a local shop (tried 3)

Cooper 3/4 view photo
    http://i22.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/39/8d/ab13_3.JPG

Cooper tread pattern up close:
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/pr.../coprl2.xl.jpg

Fuzion sidewall photo:
    http://www.campbellperformancetires....56518%2056.JPG

Fuzion tread pattern up close:
    http://www.campbellperformancetires....56518%2053.JPG

Ok, I bit the bullet ... Ordered the Coopers ...
    on sale for $120 ea from treadepot.com
    - after shipping to PA: $558.20

Congrats! That's an awesome price!!!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

SPIKE--- Yup, that's the best price I found anywhere for the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" (VX-KAT is gonna' be frickin' jealous). I know you were stuck between the "LTZ" & "XTi" for various personal reasons, and it was difficult for you to finally make up your mind between the two.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you like to cruise the winding roads in a spirited manner. In that regard; the "LTZ" is probably the better pick, as the "shattered glass" tread pattern will act more like a wide tiger paw helping you corner. In addition, the tread pattern of the "LTZ" is more resistant to the elongated tar strips down highways that like to pitch the vehicle from one side to the other. By contrast, the "XTi" with its elongated grooved tread would have easily snagged freeway tar strips, thereby jossiling you about within the lane (not good).

The tread pattern between the "LTZ" and "XTi" are significantly different and will make a significant different statement with the "look" of the VX. Personally; I really like the unique one-of-a-kind "shattered glass" look of the "LTZ", way better than the more common "XTi" tread. In my opinion; you made the very best pick between the two choices, as it will make your VX look simply bad-@ss. Plus, you got the "LTZ" at one hell of a price (the lowest I've ever seen them listed for)!!! Well done, SPIKE.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    SPIKE--- Yup, that's the best price I found anywhere for the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ" (VX-KAT is gonna' be frickin' jealous).
    That's like $170 less! Good job Spike!
    course I did negotiate a free alignment (at a future date) and got free flat repair/change on site if I need it (and they can get to me quicker than AAA or Good Sam club)...at least it makes me feel a little better....

p.s.....was slammin' down the freeway today with windows down and they really are quiet tires at 65-70 on the highway....way cool!

cool! bring em on down so i can mount and balance them for ya.. and do an alignment while were at it.. hopefully yours will be easier than mine.. mine took 4-5oz of weights per wheel.. the spare took over 13oz!

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    ...the spare took over 13oz!
    Dang that tom4bren ... everything he has is outta balance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.