Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Diesel Swap into 1999 Vehicross

Quote Originally Posted by sleveritt View Post
    OK, so here's a radical thought: what about putting a 4BD1T diesel engine into a 1999 Ironman Vehicross???

My recent purchase has a host of problems, not the least of which is a bad engine. I've off-roaded a 1998 Trooper previously and always envied the Vehicross for it larger power train (like the Trooper) but with the short wheelbase (like a Amigo/Rodeo). I thought this might be a good opportunity to build a stout, reliable, capable, awesome looking rig!

I'm gathering all the information that I can, but thought I would open this up for discussion to the group. I know the engine is heavier (at about 700lbs) and would likely require upgrading the drivetrain (hate to lose the TOD) to a SAS (maybe Dana 44 upfront with a Dana 60 outback with lockers). I'm also liking the idea of an automatic transmission (via the isuzudieselswapper.com site). Gearing will likely need changing. Vehicross has 4.3's (right?)but I have to consider going to larger tires (36's?) and the engine redlines @ 3500rpm with a sweet spot of 1800-2000rpms... Coils? Springs?

I'll worry about cosmetics once the "guts" are figured out.

Pro's? Con's? Advice?

Sam
    Why not just take the VX Body off the frame and put it on a Chevy truck/ Blazer frame with a 4 Wheel Drive DynaMax Diesel power train or a Ford Diesel 4WD? Which ever comes closer to dimensions needed. A lot less work and parts would be readily available!! You could probably find a totaled truck at a wrecking yard and or have them look in their wrecking yard dealer system to locate you what you want!
    Last edited by crossman : 01/31/2010 at 09:08 PM Reason: Added a little information

Smile Similar thoughts...

I was working the other way around the past couple of weeks. I've been lookiing at the bolt-on spots for removing the front C-clip, stuffing the salvaged Duramax/Allison/transfer case/drivetrain in there. Of course, I would need to salvage the ECM, TCM, BCM, steering column, instrument panel, and various other modules/sensors.

I'll have to go out and measure the wide of the axles/bodies of said comparison. I've got both out in the garage, just need to have someone hold the other end. (I'll see what my wife is doing.....)

I'm afraid just putting the VX body on the Chevy chassis would look like putting a hat on a railroad car! My crewcab is exceptionally long, so length obviously would have to be shortened, it's the width that could get a little absurb.