Not interested in keeping this engine. Mechanics say it needs an entire rebuild. looking close to $6k for that kind of work. Anyway, it was an OK engine in the Trooper and would perform better under the lighter Vehicross, but every friggin thing on that engine is expensive to repair/replace (like a $600 alternator/generator) or almost impossible to find domestically.

I like Uncle's idea of a JDM source TDI that should work with all the electronics (esp the TOD) but I'm wanting a serious off-roader that will last many years and be built to be bullet proof. That means the engine and IFS have to go.

If you haven't driven a new CleanDiesel recently, you will be amazed how far they have come. Diesel will be the new wave of the future, just watch them come to the American shores over the next few years. They are more efficient and provide the torque for that satisfying seat of the pants feel. (And it can run on biodiesel to boot - no DPF to worry about). The boost for the decade old engine I'm looking at came stock with 15psi on tap.

Thanks for the idea about upgrading the tranny though! Do you know of a vendor that supplies that kind of build up for the 4L30E? I would strech the nose a few inches to get a diesel to bolt up to the tranny - leaving TOD in place.

Sam