Thread: Diesel Swap into 1999 Vehicross

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Not interested in keeping this engine. Mechanics say it needs an entire rebuild. looking close to $6k for that kind of work. Anyway, it was an OK engine in the Trooper and would perform better under the lighter Vehicross, but every friggin thing on that engine is expensive to repair/replace (like a $600 alternator/generator) or almost impossible to find domestically.

I like Uncle's idea of a JDM source TDI that should work with all the electronics (esp the TOD) but I'm wanting a serious off-roader that will last many years and be built to be bullet proof. That means the engine and IFS have to go.

If you haven't driven a new CleanDiesel recently, you will be amazed how far they have come. Diesel will be the new wave of the future, just watch them come to the American shores over the next few years. They are more efficient and provide the torque for that satisfying seat of the pants feel. (And it can run on biodiesel to boot - no DPF to worry about). The boost for the decade old engine I'm looking at came stock with 15psi on tap.

Thanks for the idea about upgrading the tranny though! Do you know of a vendor that supplies that kind of build up for the 4L30E? I would strech the nose a few inches to get a diesel to bolt up to the tranny - leaving TOD in place.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sleveritt View Post
    I like Uncle's idea of a JDM source TDI that should work with all the electronics (esp the TOD) but I'm wanting a serious off-roader that will last many years and be built to be bullet proof. That means the engine and IFS have to go.
    My point is that first you need to decide if you want state-of-art common-rail diesel or bullet-proof classic diesel without any electronics at all (except of starter ).

Isuzu did both (4JX1 and 4JJ1 are CRD, 2.8L 4JB1 and 3.1L 4JG2 (till approximately 1995) are classic), but Isuzu had different frames for petrol and diesel applications, so these engines will not directly bolt-on on your frame, though VX body will bolt-on on diesel frame.
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock