Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LED Dome Light

LED Dome Light

Well, after almost ten years (I'm guessing) my dome light finally decided to give up the ghost. With tinted windows, and living out in the middle of nowhere, it's VERY dark inside the VX at night so I needed a replacement. I was wandering through a, not so local, AutoZone and came across this:

Sorry, this is the package after the install, but the light is a flat waffer with 12 LED's on it. The kit comes with adapters to fit any dome light; you chose the one that fits your car, plug the waffer into the adapter then install the adapter in your dome light. The waffer has some double sided tape on it to stick it to the dome light housing. Luckily the waffer snuggled right into the dome light assembly on top of the adapter (I can take picture of this in case anyone is interested).

It's only been in for a couple of days so far, but I'm happy with it. It's a pure white light and isn't too bright, and as a matter of fact may be dimmer than a typical filament bulb. After you close the door the light does one step down in brightness before going off, but doesn't fade out like a typical bulb does.

These picture don't really do it justice.

I'm eventually looking to go all LED so this is the first step. It's a decent, inexpensive and super easy "mod".
    Last edited by MSHardeman : 10/19/2009 at 11:35 AM
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Nice! How much was the "kit" ??
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

I think it was $16-$17. The hardest part of the install was getting the dome light lens off.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I think it was $16-$17. The hardest part of the install was getting the dome light lens off.
    At that price, Handee will have it installed by Crhristmas. Of course, it'll be mounted on the roof and pointed at the sky.

I may have to look into this. My dome light hasn't worked since I got the VX. Thanks for the tip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    At that price, Handee will have it installed by Crhristmas. Of course, it'll be mounted on the roof and pointed at the sky.
    Darn there went my next photo mod idea.
    Oh well, a dome light to me is more like a miners hat.
    Not to TJ, but one the advantages to my rear cargo light mod is i can set everything behind the VX open the rear door and see everything (put everything in by Braile). Get to where your going open the R Door and see where ya can set it down. I did my installation with velcro so I could velcro it to the old dome light or put velcro on my hat. I can't wait till Christmas.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Thumbs up

I spot a Kestrel hanging on the wall! Nice

And nice light mod also!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

DANG, eagle eye....yes that is my full carbon Kestrel Talon. Got it a couple of years ago as a training bike to get my legs in shape for mountain biking, and now I ride IT more than my mountain bike. I love that thing.

Hmmm...can you thread jack your own thread? I think I just did....

Thanks for the comment on the light Billy.

Resurrecting another old thread to post a bit of advice... I just finished installing a nearly identical (in both shape and cost) 12 LED dome light array in my VX. Hard to say whether it's technically brighter than the standard bulb, but the light is clear and crisp and you don't have to worry about the power draw and heat that you do from standard incandescent bulbs.

Now to the advice... although you can buy these kits on eBay and elsewhere with 4, 6, 9, 12, or 15 LEDs, the MAXIMUM size that will fit in our dome light housing is the 12 LED wafer. It's possible that there might be identically sized wafers out there with a higher number of smaller LEDs, but in general 12 is probably the limit.

With some cutting I managed to get a 36 led array from autolumination to fit in my dome light

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    With some cutting I managed to get a 36 led array from autolumination to fit in my dome light
    That's some cutting alright! Nice though!

So that's 3x brighter than the one I just installed? Must be like looking at the surface of the sun - I'd be afraid that my daughter would fry her retinas when I open the door.

I got a 31mm Super White festoon bulb from autoluminations (31mm) with 6 Super High Flux LEDs for my dome. I swear, it's so freakin' bright ....I can't imagine any more LEDs!
    http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm, second product down.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Its super bright.. If it was white light I'm sure it would be too much, but since its blue I wanted it as bright as possible. I also have two more map lights that are mounted in an overhead console forward of the dome light.. I have 25 white led arrays in each if those for if I need to read or something

Slight thread jack... have you guys replaced your map/reading lights in the mirror yet? If so, what would you recommend? Looks a bit weird when you have the light from an LED dome mixing with incandescent light from below the rearview mirror.