Thread: Easy Task for Most of You

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    How2's don't pop up when you search the forums.

I seem to remember workmeister having a good thread on dash removal but I couldn't find it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Gee, I didn't think anybody ever succeeded at "fixing" the CD player at all...the only fix is to yank it out and put in a new Head Unit w/CD and put a nice cubby box where the CD player was. Now mine "works fine!"
    I even got a heavy metal headbanger CD out of the deal!

Edit...I had a stereo shop do all of it...as I'm not qualified.....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    How2's don't pop up when you search the forums.

I seem to remember workmeister having a good thread on dash removal but I couldn't find it.
    OK I read the post and went out and looked at my VX. There appears to be about 7 screws holding the dash trim in place. I can't see how that will help get the changer (and piece below) out? Will continue to check it out.

The trim around the CD changer just pulls out. Give it yank - you'll see. Once you remove the trim piece, you'll see the screws you need to remove in order to get the CD changer out. You don't need to remove the "rounded panel" below it - that's just a cover for the powertrain control module.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    The trim around the CD changer just pulls out. Give it yank - you'll see. Once you remove the trim piece, you'll see the screws you need to remove in order to get the CD changer out. You don't need to remove the "rounded panel" below it - that's just a cover for the powertrain control module.

yup he's right... the 'silver' part of the dash around the changer just unclips and pulls off...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    SlowPro48 and pbkid what you said is correct. I took a deep breath and started. I removed the ash tray and cig. lighter first then put a little pressure on the back side of the trim where the ash tray came out and it began to come out. Took a little more guts but the whole thing came out and there was the changer with it's four screws holding it in. I removed it and tried everything mentioned on this site to shake the cd's loose but not luck. I then unpluged the changer and brought it inside to work on. I did remove some of the metal plates while still in the car and a couple little pieces of plastic came out - looks like someone had been here before and not done good. I posted pictures on photobucket (can't post pictures here yet) for all of those who are like me and do better with pictures than words (http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm37/etnemo/). Want to thank everyone for their input and I have not decided what I will do it the cd is trash (I know parts would be impossible to get).

nemo

nemo, if you can't get your CD changer fixed and you want to keep the original look, there are a few people here who have sold, or are looking to sell, their old CD changers.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Here's a pic of Nemo's VX . Nice huh ?
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    Here's a pic of Nemo's VX . Nice huh ?
    Yea and it runs and rides great too.............

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    nemo, if you can't get your CD changer fixed and you want to keep the original look, there are a few people here who have sold, or are looking to sell, their old CD changers.
    MSHardeman, I am going to take it apart (saw post about that here somewhere) and see what has happened then decide. I never have had a cd changer and don't really listen to the radio that much so will see what I find. I figured there might be some for sale since I read some replaced with better units.

This is a least worth a look-
    http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-91-156-isuzu-indash-single-cd-player-1998-to-2003.aspx

If you Google CDT-107MP3, it looks like that unit is used in Isuzu's and the Honda Passport made by Isuzu, along with Toyota's.

It still may be a risk, but that's a nice price if it's a simple plug 'n play deal. A single disc player should be more reliable.

If someone has the guts to give this unit a try, we'd all appreciate it.

Mark
    Last edited by deermagnet : 10/28/2009 at 06:37 PM