Thread: Cheapo Storage Solution

Cheapo Storage Solution

This goes under the category of low tech ideas for the VX...

Love all the space in the back without the back seats but wanted to get something more stable. With ski season and camping next spring I wanted to be able to stow a bunch of loose items without having to bag/box everything up.

After eliminating some really kewl but super expensive military gear lockers, I found these on Amazon at a whopping $38 each(free shipping and tax too)!

I was thinking about using the tie down bolt holes to mount these puppies real solidly with a wingnut arrangement or similar but I think I'll just rig up some bungies so that I can easily remove the boxes. They even have wheels and are airline friendly!

Last edited by BoarderCROSS2000 : 11/04/2009 at 03:07 PM Reason: Added pics...

I have a dozen of the Plano boxes, they are only $29 at Northern Tool. They are lockable, and easily can go on your cargo basket with no risk of them flying open at speed since they have 4 separate latches. They are stackable. They also have padlock access. The negative, they are cheap, the hinges are marginal at best since they are cheap molded plastic. I use them for camping, and they stay packed all the time. They are pretty waterproof as far as rain, ours were on the roof of the expy and sat outside in the rain, no problems. That is why I went back and bought the last ones at my local Northern Tool.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hmmm; those boxes would workout perfect for stoying my linked .50 Cal Ammo in support of my sunroof turret main gun, the Browning M-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Hmmm; those boxes would workout perfect for stoying my linked .50 Cal Ammo in support of my sunroof turret main gun, the Browning M-2.
    Notta chance Riff, I wouldn't put more than 30lbs in those boxes, but they hold sleeping bags, camp stove, dry food etc...maybe they can hold the cleaning gear for your browning?

Nice! I always liked the box in the picture below for fit/finish, but yours is a lot more rugged/flexible for interior/exterior use.

I also found these...

Obviously much more worthy but much more dinero too

http://www.casesbymasco.com/product-...n-special.html

Quote Originally Posted by BoarderCROSS2000 View Post
    Obviously much more worthy but much more dinero too

http://www.casesbymasco.com/product-...n-special.html
    Anything with the name Pelican is $$$, but that box is tiny, the ones from plano fit the back of the VX perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post

yeah, mounted turret on the VX! can someone "Photoshop" that for me, preferably on an ebony......Ya I hijacked the thread but the thread was dead anyway
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Nice! I always liked the box in the picture below for fit/finish, but yours is a lot more rugged/flexible for interior/exterior use.

That would be Grampa Bobs (AKA Green Dragon) VX during his trip through the Rubicon. He has sold his VX now but will always be legendary around here! Was a great guy to know and wheeled the snot out of that VX.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I use this WallyWorld bought box in mine...it fits behind the rear seat for those of you that use your back seat or still have it installed...

And it has cup holders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

them aint cup holders

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I use this WallyWorld bought box in mine...it fits behind the rear seat for those of you that use your back seat or still have it installed...

And it has cup holders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I tell you what. Putta coupla big gulps in there and go 4 wheelin. See how long them little holes will hold them cups.

All day...

...with the tie-down straps applied!