Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parking (Hand) Brake Woes...

Parking (Hand) Brake Woes...

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is a JDM, UK or general question but here goes...

My VX failed its MOT/roadworthiness inspection as the hand/parking brake was completely ineffective. ( ) Sure enough, the existing shoes have next-to-no life left in them having been filled with many years of off-road detritus.

I did the whole "should be the same as..." thing and bought a set of replacement parking brake shoes for a Frontera/Rodeo and tried fitting them this morning. Whilst the diameter and basic form is the same the holes to locate the tensioning springs are different. So, has anyone else ever done this before and does anyone know the correct part number for a VX? Is it the same as a Trooper/Monterey/Bighorn? I'm not going to fork out another £30 on "probably the right bits"...

I wouldn't mind so much, but i never use the handbrake because it spends so much time sitting and I don't want it jamming on!

Cheers in advance,

Alan

edit: Meant to say - I've tried the normally-comprehensive Rock Auto and they don't even list them...
    Last edited by alanbradley : 11/07/2009 at 03:44 AM Reason: forgot to include stuff

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

If the form of the actual frame is same-same, (all notches, tabs, etc) and the radius/length is the same, why not just drill new holes where needed?

Just thinkin' out loud...

Move to Florida, we do not have any vehicle inspection anymore.
    Just kidding, good luck on the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    If the form of the actual frame is same-same, (all notches, tabs, etc) and the radius/length is the same, why not just drill new holes where needed?

Just thinkin' out loud...
    Well you see - whilst my skills of diagnosis, design and assembly (ikea-style "here are al the bits" stuff) are good, but ability to fabricate (drill holes in the correct places, weld, etc.) suck.

I've stripped and cleaned both sides with the original shoes and now "just" need to set and tighten the cables correctly.

Cheers again,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alanbradley View Post
    Well you see - whilst my skills of diagnosis, design and assembly (ikea-style "here are al the bits" stuff) are good, but ability to fabricate (drill holes in the correct places, weld, etc.) suck.

I've stripped and cleaned both sides with the original shoes and now "just" need to set and tighten the cables correctly.

Cheers again,

Alan
    You're my kinda mechanic, Alan.,...usually in my case I just need a bigger hammer or crowbar.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Ahhh... "Persuaders:...

A

Are the old ones completely shot?? just theres 2 adjustments that may get it through the MOT so you can find the right parts after, one on the wire under the body where it comes from the hand break then into a junction where it splits into two and then there is adjustment in the hub itself which is a threaded bolt that pushes the shoes further out.

I replaced the rear brake disks with UBS25 trooper ones from Milner off road, maybe their shoes will fit?
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Would you believe I forgot about Milner! Cheers!

They're not "completely" shot so some serious adjustment is going to take place tomorrow.

I've spent about 8 hours on this so far and its really pissing me off. Tempted to just pay a garage to do it, but I'm too flipping miserable and Scottish!

A

Lorne has a new toy that I have stolen and he hasn't had a shotty of yet - nut-running impact wrench!

Even the biggest bastard of a brake-related bolt is no longer an issue! Wheel nuts aren't an issue...

A

Thats awesome!! You know the small 18v hand held impact drivers (builders use) my builder friend uses his to do wheel nuts and it does a damn good job...AMAZING little tool !!!!

Alan are you getting those Milner shoes? I hope they fit because I was with a guy at the weekend who has a SWB Trooper and he says the only place he can get the shoes from is in Australia and they are over £200 a set!!!!!

Nick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1997 Vehicross with mods coming! --- 1995 Pajero with lots of mods!
    2000 Audi Allroad - Wife won't let me mod

Owner of the Four Wheel Drive Club in the UK - pop in and say hi! Click pic for link.

Errr... well, I'm cheaping out and just making sure the current ones are would up REALLY TIGHT. They only have to get it through its MOT after all.

Maybe I should buy a set of Milner ones in anticipation though.

A

yep, take one for the team!! lol

Also, give Steve (greesemonkey) a pm, sourcing parts is his speciality and i've got variouse engine components from him !!