Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a Battery Booster / Jump Starter?

Question Recommendations for a Battery Booster / Jump Starter?

Looking to buy a battery booster / jump starter but there are so many options to choose from! Do you guys have any experience or recommendations? I want something with a long life between charges, enough juice to jump any size engine, and on-board power ports for charging/running additional stuff. Built-in air compressor would be nice, but jumping is the priority. Oh, and trying to stay under $200 if possible.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I picked up one of the 'cheapo' ones at a truck stop a few years ago (I was on a 300 mile trip when my battery decided to go Tango Uniform).

The only problem I ever had with it is that I lost the charger & never got around to making a new one.

The best thing is to add a switched 12V power jack wherever you plan to store it in the VX. Keep it plugged in alla time & it'll always be ready for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

do not get a regular charger

The way they charge can shorten battery life. Get a trickle charger they slowly charge during the sit ona cycke so as to prolong the life no brand names come to mind but under $200 should be easy

Another VX with jumper cables!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Another VX with jumper cables!
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

are you looking for something portable? the Die Hard 1150 is around $110.. it will hold its charge for 30 days, jump start just about anything, has 2 12v outlets, 2 120v outlets, a 125psi compressor, its not really meant to charge though, just to jump a car, as far as i know it also needs to be charged at home and will not recharge in a vehicle

if youre looking for somewhere to put an additional outlet in the vx.. try this

Last edited by etlsport : 11/13/2009 at 05:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I picked up one of the 'cheapo' ones at a truck stop a few years ago (I was on a 300 mile trip when my battery decided to go Tango Uniform).

The only problem I ever had with it is that I lost the charger & never got around to making a new one.

The best thing is to add a switched 12V power jack wherever you plan to store it in the VX. Keep it plugged in alla time & it'll always be ready for you.
    Exact same for me, I had one I picked up at Wal-Mart years ago after a similar experience but lost the charger during a move. I just tossed it anyway, it took FOREVER to charge and lost the charge ridiculously fast when you used it for anything, including charging phones. Looking for something more high quality and durable this time around.

circ - Good point on the trickle charger. I've seen them sold separately, but it looks like some boosters come with an "intelligent charger" included that automatically switches between active charging and trickling depending upon battery level.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    are you looking for something portable? the Die Hard 1150 is around $110.. it will hold its charge for 30 days, jump start just about anything, has 2 12v outlets, 2 120v outlets, a 125psi compressor, its not really meant to charge though, just to jump a car, as far as i know it also needs to be charged at home and will not recharge in a vehicle
    Sorry, should have said that in the first post, definitely looking for a portable unit. I looked at the Die Hard unit too, but 125psi is pretty wimpy. I had one that size that came in an emergency kit, and it burned up trying to inflate my tire (not on the VX though) to only 35 psi. There are two I've got my eye on that push 260 psi, which I think is about the best you can do without a full-on on-board air system.

I've been using a "Portable Power Station" that I picked up at Costco, for a few years. The charger is built in, and I keep it plugged into the wall until I need it. Up until last week it would start anything that was dead, from my lawn tractor to my 429 Cobra. (Last week it failed to start the Cobra (dead battery), so I think it has reached it's end.) It has 2 12-vole outlets, and a tire pump, but I've never used either.

At the same time, I keep my Cobra battery on a Deltran Battery Tender whenever it is parked. It usually kept the battery ready to start the car, even though I may go months between runs. The Cobra bettery finally died after 5+ years, which is pretty good for rarely being used.

I'm thinking of getting a waterproof Battery Tender for my Mustang, since it sits outside for weeks without starting.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Looking to buy a battery booster / jump starter but there are so many options to choose from! Do you guys have any experience or recommendations? I want something with a long life between charges, enough juice to jump any size engine, and on-board power ports for charging/running additional stuff. Built-in air compressor would be nice, but jumping is the priority. Oh, and trying to stay under $200 if possible.

Thoughts? Thanks!

VT-MAVERICK--- Go to: www.HerringtonCatalog.com and click-on "Motoring" accessories.

They have an awesome "portable" battery booster/jumper with 260 PSI inflater which also has both 12Volt outlets (2-each) and AC-power inverter outlets (2-each). It sells for just under $160 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    VT-MAVERICK--- Go to: www.HerringtonCatalog.com and click-on "Motoring" accessories.

They have an awesome "portable" battery booster/jumper with 260 PSI inflater which also has both 12Volt outlets (2-each) and AC-power inverter outlets (2-each). It sells for just under $160 each.
    I saw this the other day under it's OEM name of Wagan Tech. They produce a whole range of these "power domes" that are available from a number of retailers. Definitely pretty cool.

Wagan Tech Power Domes

Model 2354 is the one we're discussing:

Last edited by vt_maverick : 11/17/2009 at 08:25 AM Reason: Added pic

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post

... and other on-line retailers offer them for as little as $99.95 incl. shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    ... and other on-line retailers offer them for as little as $99.95 incl. shipping.
    WTF!!! Who are they VT-MAVERICK??? Please post all applicable websites, and share your knowledge for great bargains.