Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: brake pad shim grease

brake pad shim grease

The OEM brake pads come with two packets of grease - an orange and a dark grey. Or is it black - guess I'll hold it up to my hood insert and see.

I'm sure one is for the shims and one is for the pins - but which for which?

Yes Ldub - I searched b4 asking.

gray should be for the pins and orange for the shims.

NNNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!
    The grey is a form of copper slip anti sieze compound which is used by putting it on the back of the pad then add the slotted shim and then the smooth cover -you can put a small amount on the place where the piston will touch and the pad carrier touches too if you like - also add small amounts to the anti rattle shims top and bottom where the pad makes contact to stop the pads corroding and sticking
    and the orange is a water resistant grease which should be added to clean slider pins top and bottom you can also push a small amount inside the rubber bellows - watch out when refitting that the bottom bellows isn't caught between the caliper and the carrier when you swivel it down as it can cut the bellows allowing water to enter

regards
    Steve
    Last edited by Greasemonkey : 11/14/2009 at 02:02 PM
    Isuzu Vehicross 3.2 V6 24 Valve

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    The OEM brake pads come with two packets of grease - an orange and a dark grey. Or is it black - guess I'll hold it up to my hood insert and see.

I'm sure one is for the shims and one is for the pins - but which for which?

Yes Ldub - I searched b4 asking.
    L0L...I'm glad you asked, I've never seen it covered in any other thread.
    Since I wasn't sure which was which, I used caliper pin grease & pad goo from my local auto parts, now I've got enough to last for the rest of my life... IF I can remember where I put it...

Thanks for the definitive answer Greasemonkey......
    Last edited by Ldub : 11/15/2009 at 05:04 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Thanks for the definitive answer Greasemonkey......
    Now we know why he has his user name, he really know's his,... grease

do they still drink Green King lite and bitter around those parts? Can get Abbot's Ale here, but it's in a tin and you know what that does to the taste
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't read them until after the deed was done but it looks like I did the right thing. I got impatient and figured well maybe if I go ahead and tear into this project I'll be able to tell which grease goes where and sure enough - first pin I pulled out had orange grease on the end so I knew what to do.

So - brakes are good to go for another 100K miles. Its amazing though - I got over 95K out of the original pads and it looks like they could have gone another 30K before they hit the squealer. Oh well - it was time to re-pack the wheel bearings anyway...

So - brakes are good to go for another 100K miles. Its amazing though - I got over 95K out of the original pads and it looks like they could have gone another 30K before they hit the squealer...
    I've got 124K on my original front pads and rotors. I had the new parts ready when I took it to my dealer for the 120K service, but they said it didn't need them yet. Yeah, I'm sticking with OEM replacements!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I started to replace my front pads today, 7 years 57,500 miles on my VX. Got the front pads off and they are maybe only 1/3 worn. I was shocked!! I put them back in and I will save replacement pads for another time....

These OEM pads are GREAT!!

Did you make sure the calipers were ok - if they are not being used they could start to sieze up - well worth sqeezing the fluid out of the bleed nipple and letting fresh in to the caliper too - remember to clamp off the brake pipe
    cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
    remember to clamp off the brake pipe
    cheers Steve
    Is that to prevent draining the master cylinder?

If so, a simpler way is to place a piece of plastic wrap (or the wrapper of a cigarette pack if your a smoker) on the master cylinder then put the cap back on.

Cheers John

Just put new brakes on mine today as well, in 18 Degrees and 3inches of snow, NO FUN but couldnt wait as I was grinding metal to metal, Had to replace both front rotors, Just used advanced auto parts, Repacked bearings as well, BIG TIP HERE, DO NOT LOSE THE 3 TINY SCREWS THAT HOLD IN THE HUB LOCKING WASHER!!!!!!! I have to wait about a week for the stealership to order them in and 1.50 a piece but whatever should stop on a dime after this.

Wrench Come on

We do not want to go there again

Quote Originally Posted by slutty22 View Post
    Just put new brakes on mine today as well, in 18 Degrees and 3inches of snow, NO FUN but couldnt wait as I was grinding metal to metal, Had to replace both front rotors, Just used advanced auto parts, Repacked bearings as well, BIG TIP HERE, DO NOT LOSE THE 3 TINY SCREWS THAT HOLD IN THE HUB LOCKING WASHER!!!!!!! I have to wait about a week for the stealership to order them in and 1.50 a piece but whatever should stop on a dime after this.
    Those screws can be found at Home Depot (and also at Lowes, I believe) in the misc screw drawers. They don't need to be class 5 as there isn't any load on them. I purchased some extras "just in case" and didn't need them.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    Those screws can be found at Home Depot (and also at Lowes, I believe) in the misc screw drawers. They don't need to be class 5 as there isn't any load on them. I purchased some extras "just in case" and didn't need them.

-- John
    yep, a screw is a screw is a screw no matter where you get them as long as they are the same size/pitch

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    yep, a screw is a screw is a screw no matter where you get them as long as they are the same size/pitch
    Good to know you can also find them at Home Depot.
    In the past I've always relied on T4B, he's always had a few loose screws.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"