Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need a mechanic

I'm surprised no one has asked what kind of mechanical work you need done? There's a good chance that if we knew what the symptoms are that one of these super vx brainiacs can tell help you out and maybe save you a dime or two.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    well, reckon we'll have to agree to disagree on something once again my friend
    I am not your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by JGeorge264 View Post
    I'm surprised no one has asked what kind of mechanical work you need done? There's a good chance that if we knew what the symptoms are that one of these super vx brainiacs can tell help you out and maybe save you a dime or two.
    That's what I was gonna say. What exactly are you having trouble with?

I realized while on a road trip this past week, that I *think* I know just enough about my VX to identify most common problems with it. So let's hear what is ailing your VX and maybe we can point you in the right direction, and save you some money at the same time!

Bart

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithVXlvr View Post
    I am not your friend.
    good thing I wasn't talking to you eh?

Lildukester- give us some info here so we can help you out. Your killing us just Leaving us hanging
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Ok I am having problems when I start my VX the RPMs will not get over 500 and they bounce from 0 to 500. So I have to press on the gas to keep it running. Sometimes it will then act right and I can drive to work. But other days every time I go to stop it will die on me. So at the lights now I just hold the break and gas so it will keep running. Also it will just die when I and driving down the road at low speeds. (15mph or less). Also when I step on the gas it acts like it wants to stall out. Then it will take off like it should. Thanks Lildukester

Firstest: are you getting a Check Engine Light (CEL)?

Secondly: Try running some high octane fuel. Some members report success with that but I've never had to.

Thirdly: Try running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner on your next fill up.

If that doesn't work, there are some other simple repairs that we can recommend. On the bright side, we may be able to help you fix it with out spending any money. I'm just starting with the simplest things first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Tom's on the right track. If you are getting a Check Engine Light, go to Autozone and get the code pulled and bring the number(s) back to us.

Bart

Yes the CEL is on. I forgot what the code was.

I have been running the high octane fuel for the last three tanks.

When I filled up the second time with the high octane I did put in fuel injector cleaner in.

OK, Probably the next 2 steps should be:

Replace the fuel filter

clean or replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Look here: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...sure+regulator

In conjunction with what Tom recommended, I would also suggest pulling the sparkplus and hitting them with some carb cleaner and a wire brush, if not just replacing them. Get some sensor safe cleaner and clean your MAF and IAT sensor. Also, clean or replace the PCV valve for good measure. And just to be safe, take a peek at the air filter and make sure no critters got in the airbox.

tom4bren
    I replaced the fuel filter back about 2 months ago and the fuel pressure regulator about a month ago. I have been reading all of the things that people have done before I put my post up here. Thanks for the suggestions I will take any more that you have.

RabidPony
    I have replaced the MAF I will have to try the other things that you have said. I also tried to replace the Idle Air Control Valve but when I did that my RPMs jumped up to about 3000 when it was idleing. So I adjusted the idle but could not get below 2500 RPMs.

Yeah, get that code read, and chances are, it will lead you directly to the solution. Fuel Pressure Regulator (not to hard to change yourself), Fuel Filter (very easy to change yourself) or possibly even the EGR Valve (very easy to change yourself as well, although the symptoms point toward FPR imo)

Bart

Sounds like exactly what mine was doing a couple years ago. I replaced the Idle Air Control and it fixed it right up.. Maybe you got a defective IAC when you replaced yours?

JGeorge264
    When you got your new IAC was it all the way against the body by where you plug in the cable?? the one I pulled out when I unpluged it was all the way out. So I tried to clean it. Well we see that did not work. Is there a way to test the IAC to see if it works. Or should I go and buy a new one.

What was that gasket problem some members were experiencing? Was it the intake manifold gasket? It seems to me that it was causing some similar symptoms.

Look here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ghlight=gasket