Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC to HDTV ???'s

PC to HDTV ???'s

So yesterday I bought a Mitsu 60" 1080p DLP TV! The big problem appeared when I tried last night to hook it up to my PC. My monitor was hooked up to the video card with a DVI cable. The motherboard manual tells me that I cannot have dual screens if I want to use one monitor with DVI and the other with HDMI. I went into the BIOS and changed the setting to allow a VGA connection (instead of the DVI) and an HDMI connection in unison. It starts to boot and then gives me an error message saying "POST ERROR!" Then it wants to boot from the last successful configuration. Anyone know what I need to do to get both screens to work? I would rather not have to get a DVI to HDMI cable since I would lose the benefit of HDMI audio. Gurus?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

are you trying to have shared screens, or cloned screens?

ie: do you want to see 2 different things or the same thing on both screens?

if you are okay with the same thing on both screens....

buy this
    http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-.../dp/B000FMJLQC

and this
    http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimit...0299995&sr=1-4

also....do you have a video card, or is it onboard video?

I would like to clone. The TV and monitor should have the same image.

I kept editing that first post after I would think of something else.

I don't know which update you last saw. Hopefully that cheap MacGyver solution will work.

Thanks for the effort...

My monitor has 2 single VGA and DVI outputs only.
    My TV has 3 HDMI inputs.
    My video card has 2 DVI outputs only - Like I said, I have been using this for my monitor.
    My motherboard has 1 VGA, 1 DVI, and one HDMI - plus audio spots.

The DVI and HDMI cannot function together according to the motherboard manual, although that would be ideal for both screens. That has proven correct too. I tried hooking up both screens to the motherboard VGA and HDMI ports but it won't complete the boot! Like I was saying, I don't want to have to use the DVI-to-HDMI cable because I would lose digital audio and the HDMI quality to my TV - besides I shouldn't have to. The HDMI splitter you linked to splits the signal strength in half so one screen would maybe work, but not both of them. On top of that, I would have to purchase an HDMI-to-DVI cable for my monitor if it did work. Also, like I mentioned I have seen both screens fire up with the same image so I know I am connected ok but something in the software is fritzin on me during start-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    are you trying to have shared screens, or cloned screens?

ie: do you want to see 2 different things or the same thing on both screens?

if you are okay with the same thing on both screens....

buy this
    http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-.../dp/B000FMJLQC

and this
    http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimit...0299995&sr=1-4

also....do you have a video card, or is it onboard video?

Like I was saying

Like I was saying....purchase those two items

Like I was saying.....it should be a cheap MacGyver solution to make it work

send the video out of the hdmi in your motherboard.

then into the hdmi splitter

then connect one port of the splitter to the tv

then connect the other port of the splitter to the hdmi to dvi cable

then connect the dvi cable to your monitor

Like I was saying, this should work
    Last edited by JAMAS : 12/08/2009 at 12:06 PM

Another solution is a new video card that offers both hdmi and dvi outputs

motherboard video is usually half crappy anyway.

....this may prove to be the best quality solution, but I am not sure of your budget.

I really hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    The HDMI splitter you linked to splits the signal strength in half so one screen would maybe work, but not both of them.
    Perhaps a better model may work. I just did a VERY quick search.

HAHAHA!

Like I said, thanks for the effort! I think I just tracked down the issue to the motherboard having some software issues regarding the VGA card display order - I won't know if this is the issue until I get home tho and update the drivers, BIOS, and whatnot. Like I was saying, I think it's a software issue so I don't like any of your solutions except for the new video card idea... I am going to go that route at some point anyway, so that I can use the 3D glasses emitter my TV is setup for, which is why I chose this style TV. Right now my PC has a decent video card meant for 3D drafting.... I want to upgrade it into more of a HTPC.

I really do appreciate your posts... like I said!
    Like I was saying....purchase those two items

Like I was saying.....it should be a cheap MacGyver solution to make it work

send the video out of the hdmi in your motherboard.

then into the hdmi splitter

then connect one port of the splitter to the tv

then connect the other port of the splitter to the hdmi to dvi cable

then connect the dvi cable to your monitor

Like I was saying, this should work

What are you trying to do, Justin?

I have a PC hooked up to my Bravia via the VGA input on the back. If your PC has a video card that does cloning, than you should be able to see the same picture on both screens. The problem you are encountering sounds to me like a limitation of the card. Meaning, perhaps cloning only supports the same type of output, meaning, 2 VGA screens or two DVI screens but not one VGA and one DVI, etc.

I use dual monitors all the time, but I prefer to accomplish this with 2 video cards. Call me if you need to discuss.

Bart

I'm trying to spend a lot of money, evidently! My TV is 3D ready and I LOVE 3D content and that's why I bought it - I have room for the 73" but the 60" was on sale for $800 at Best Buy.com! The thing is, I need to buy a 3D capable video card ($$$), and the 3D glasses emitter kit ($200) - if I use the Nvidia 3D setup it sounds like I can even view one thing at the same time someone else is watching something else because of the alternating shutter lenses. Shutter glasses operate at 120hz so everything has to be capable of handling that. PC games are then made steroscopic because they are 3D to begin with, there just hasn't been a way to use two 'cameras' until recently. Basically, I want to be able to view whatever is available in 3D... especially games and movies like Avatar. I know I will also most likely have to increase my memory to handle that too.

Until I can afford to buy all that stuff tho, I simply just want to be able to hook up my TV to my PC so I can watch movies and play lesser games from my couch. Right now, I really don't think it is a hardware problem, I think it's software. Like I said, both screens show the same image until the boot is cancelled by the CMOS, at that point the missing code presents itself as "POST ERROR!" I guess. I'll mess with it tonight after work, if I run into something new I'll definitely ring you up! Thanks, Bart!
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    What are you trying to do, Justin?

I have a PC hooked up to my Bravia via the VGA input on the back. If your PC has a video card that does cloning, than you should be able to see the same picture on both screens. The problem you are encountering sounds to me like a limitation of the card. Meaning, perhaps cloning only supports the same type of output, meaning, 2 VGA screens or two DVI screens but not one VGA and one DVI, etc.

I use dual monitors all the time, but I prefer to accomplish this with 2 video cards. Call me if you need to discuss.

Bart

That's pretty cool - but it seems like a PS3 without the PS3 doesn't it?

Are you running the TV off a laptop or desktop? I'm still slightly confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Why do you need 2 screens in the first place with a 60" TV??

I have a 52" and it is the only monitor hooked up to my PC via VGA. I play all sorts of old school games on it on the big screen which rocks!

Bart

Desktop. I'm basically trying to create a dual purpose HTPC - work station/entertainment station. Drafting is more comfortable with the monitor from my desk chair - I still bring work home sometimes and I also have my own random projects and writings. You'd have to see my layout to totally understand why it works so well. It's a long-time bachelor thing... you wouldn't understand.

Had to work late tonight so never got to mess with the 'puter.