Thread: No VX for last 7 days:(

No VX for last 7 days:(

So the VX is in the shop since last wed. I took it in for tranny work, the exhaust manifold, and it started pulling real hard to drivers on acceleration. My warranty expires in a few weeks, so good timing. It started slipping when shifting from 3rd to 4th, and it thunked back into 1st and it was running hot enough to feel it through the center console. Good thing I had the 120K service done in the spring, that was the first thing they asked about. I had it flushed and serviced at the Isuzu dealership before they closed. So I am covered there.
    The insurance company came back and said want to replace both exhaust manifolds and gaskets, put in a 3 yr 100K warranty tranny and they will figure out the pull after the tranny is replaced. Yippee!!!!! Glad I bought a $500 warranty when I bought it.
    Should be done by xmas pending parts availability. I am watching the manifolds on Ebay if the company can't get them. Too bad there are no headers out there, I would pay the difference.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm suprised they didn't take one look at that bumper and claim the rig was modified & send you on your merry way. Just Kidding

Glad it's working out for you, I've always had abysmal luck with warranty work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    They probably dont see enough VXs to know its been modified!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Yet another example of a VX tranny going out just months after changing the fluids.

Let this serve as another reminder to everyone, do not trust anyone at any repair shop when it comes to getting VX's tranny fluid level correct. You must check it cold while engine is running, cycle through all the gears, drive down the block once or twice then check it when it is slightly warm, then and only then will you get the right level after filling it until the fill hole runs over. DO NOT trust anyone at a service place to do this, they will not fill the VX tranny correctly and just like countless others here that have never had any tranny problems you will be servicing your tranny only a few months after the fluid is changed.

You got lucky with the warranty mine costs me $3600

Marlin,
    FYI...headers were available at one time. Tone had them installed on his and dino'd it before and after. With headers RWHP dropped considerably so he switched back to stock manifolds.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Back pressure is a good thing...

Def sounds like you found a good warranty group, Chris - what's the company name?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Tone had them installed on his...
    Yeah, I remember Tone said it was a HUGE pain in the butt with bloody hands and all, for nothing.

Mark

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    They probably dont see enough VXs to know its been modified!
    Hahaha lisa !

You readed my mind
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Back pressure is a good thing...

Def sounds like you found a good warranty group, Chris - what's the company name?
    Great Lakes Warranty. When I bought the VX sight unseen, the deal I made with the dealership is it had to have a warranty. They said they gave it to me at cost. It was like $512. 1 year, unlimited mileage drivetrain. $100 deductible, have to change oil every 3K miles, and do all recommended dealer maintenance. You also had to put at least 500 miles before filing a claim, which was fine for me since I drove it about 800 miles home. It does not cover AC, but does cover CVs, and everything under the hood/tranny/diffs/transfer case and so on.
    I am happy.

As for the maintenance, I didn't know about all that when I had it done, I had only owned it for a month or so at that point. Seems weird that we have that problem since it is a standard GM tranny? I do know pepboys would not service it. They said they would do anything but the tranny since there was no dipstick.
    Oh well, I guess I am lucky that I am getting a new one.

The insurance company came back with a counter offer. I ended up taking the money and going on my own. I ordered a used tranny that comes with a 3 yr warranty for 1K including shipping. 1yr all inclusive, the final two years are parts. Unlimited mileage. They wouldn't cover the manifolds, turns out they are fine, a few of the bolts on the manifold are broken, which is why it leaks. No warranty there. They are still waiting on the driver's side pull. All said and done, its gonna cost me about 700 out of pocket, which compared to 2 or 3K for a tranny job, I am happy. Looks like it is still gonna be a few weeks. I looked at putting a 4L60 or 80E tranny in. Same housing, diesel indestructible tranny, and it would have been about 700 more. The concern we had was the computer. Don't know if a reflash would work or not with the TOD inputs.
    Oh well, stickin with the 4L30E.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    awww man.... shoulda done the diesel swap while you had the chance......

just my 2cents
    glad you'll have your horse back though
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    awww man.... shoulda done the diesel swap while you had the chance......

just my 2cents
    glad you'll have your horse back though
    I was too worried about the computer, and then what would I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I was too worried about the computer, and then what would I do?
    Simple. Sell your VX to PB-KID for profit, as he's in need of a replacement VX anyways and recommended the alternate transmission. Then; with PB-KID's money fresh in-hand, buy another VX and start your love affair all over again.

There would be no profit. I have a ton of money in the truck. That thing is mine until it is totaled in some form or another.

Well, the tranny should be here wed, sucks I had to do this during the holidays. 3 weeks with no VX It sucks. I should have my truck back next fri or sat pending the cause of the pulling issue. I can't wait, tax return equals new tires and wheels, and front locker.