Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help! I want bigger tires for my VX

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Of note, most VX's are wrecked/totaled because they rear-ended the car in front of them because they simply couldn't stop in time using the unmodified OEM factory brakes in a safe distance due to very excessive "tire fat" (extremely heavy tires). Riff
    I like your facts. Could you please give me your source?

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    You will discover, the heavier TIRE B rolled further due to its combined "suspended" (unsprung) momentum, centrifical force and perpetual motion that kept the tire rolling further.

The tire industry and US-DOT has determined this safe allowable variance of additional aftermarket tire weight to be 10 lbs over OEM tire weight on any given vehicle. This will still allow the vehicle to safely stop within the prescribed stopping distance for that type of vehicle.
    Riff
    I wanna know when they finally got around to perfecting "perpetual motion"...

I come from a long line of tinkerers/inventors who've been chasing that elusive goal for decades...

Perhaps you were referring to inertia?

I'd also like to see where you got this "fact"...please post a link if possible.

Also , You'll find that if you refrain from posting as a self proclaimed "absolute authority on all topics", & learn to leave yourself a bit of wiggle room, by throwing in a "possibly", "theoretically", "sometimes" or even "it's possible", you'll find you get called out a lot less often...

Jack, I've never seen a reason to apologize for calling "made up BS" for what it is...ESPECIALLY when it's been presented as fact.
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/24/2009 at 03:53 AM

Riff
    FYI I am not Calling you out on this, Being a Tire Design Eng I like to look at things in many ways that affect a vehicle.Really the biggest thing right now is Rolling Resistance it is a MAJOR issue with all Vehicle Manufacturers and (TSW) Tire Spec weight is one of the causes of High RR I have not looked at Unsprung weight as possibly being a issue for stopping, more for ride and handling so I was just trying to get a idea what this guy was telling PrettyKittySprinkles was fact or just a guy wanting to make a few bucks upgrading brakes(But according to Ldub thats not possible because there are no big brake kits for the VX so it is kinda moot)

L-bud--- Dude, you seriously need to clean out the bowl in your bong-pipe, 'cause you've been smokin' too much carbon!!! God bless your little heart.

This is the type of "fact" I'm referring to:

Of note, most VX's are wrecked/totaled because they rear-ended the car in front of them because they simply couldn't stop in time using the unmodified OEM factory brakes in a safe distance due to very excessive "tire fat" (extremely heavy tires).
    Where do you get those stats?... Got a link?

All the other info regarding unsprung weight & rolling inertia is true AFAIK.

Having some experience with MX racing bikes, I agree with riff, unsprung weight is bad with regard to how quickly suspension can react to sudden changes in terrain etc.
    It's also harder on the equipment controlling suspension components, shocks in particular.
    And yes, I agree that larger tires & wheels will generally create more inertia, hence longer stopping distance.

That having been said, IIRC the VX has one of the shortest, if not THE shortest stopping distance of any SUV ever tested in the years that were being reported in various magazines of the time.

IMO, once you've installed heavier wheels & tires, you quickly re-learn the diminished braking & acceleration capabilities of your vehicle, & drive accordingly.

And all that is just my opinion, worth exactly whatcha paid for it, maybe even less...
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/23/2009 at 02:11 AM

ummm we may have already scared PrettyKittySprinkles away

Talking

L-bud--- Dude, you seriously need to clean out the bowl in your bong-pipe, 'cause you've been smokin' too much carbon!!! God bless your little heart.
    That all you got?......

Yer not even gonna say "tsk-tsk"? or "for shame"?.....
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/19/2009 at 11:25 AM

Ashley,

You DO NOT NEED to upgrade your brakes for larger tires. Question answered.

Also, your CV boots will not just wear out due to angles caused by a lift (if you even need a lift to fit the tires).

I have been lifted, and running 33" BFG MTs for over 6 years now. I'm still on my original CV boots, and my original rotors. They are all still fine, actually, my rotors look brand new pushing 80,000 miles.

Brian
    '01 Proton 1416

BBVX,
    Where have you been? Awsome looking VX.
    Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    I like your tube bumper. I looks like a design Granda Pa Bob used on his VX. Yours looks like you took it up several notches.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    BBVX,
    Where have you been? Awsome looking VX.
    Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    I like your tube bumper. I looks like a design Granda Pa Bob used on his VX. Yours looks like you took it up several notches.
    Seriously, way cool looking all the way around your VX!
    Looks like you'll be needin' all that stuff today in that storm!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by VXR View Post
    ummm we may have already scared PrettyKittySprinkles away
    im thinkin so.....
    sorry guys. my fault.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by BBVX View Post
    Also, your CV boots will not just wear out due to angles caused by a lift (if you even need a lift to fit the tires).
    Brian
    Brian,

Grats on not experiencing the CV woes on a lifted VX (there have been others but not many). I'm not an expert - just speaking from experience from a statistical sample of 1.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

3 years of Rallycrossing and 3 years of 4" lift w/ 33' MTR's (6 years of real wheeling and Moab) and my CV's AND brakes were still the factory originals. The brakes were adequate for the bigger tires but stopping distances went up a bunch. This wasn't due to the brakes not stopping the wheels (I could lock them up no problem), but rather just getting that extra mass whoa'd down like everyone else is saying. I think driving style has a lot to do with the longevity of both and a little luck on the boots thrown in for good measure.

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002

Riff.........

You're correct in that the increase in momentum of the rotating mass due to a heavier tire may well be the larger force acting on the brakes with larger tires, but it's not the only one. If the "unsprung weight" between two sets of running gear is equal, but the diameter of one set is larger than the other, the larger diameter set will cause the brakes to work harder, due to the longer moment arm. "Just sayin".......

Randy

Of note, most VX's are wrecked/totaled because they rear-ended the car in front of them because they simply couldn't stop in time using the unmodified OEM factory brakes in a safe distance due to very excessive "tire fat" (extremely heavy tires). During an emergency panic stop in conjested traffic, the small OEM factory VX brakes will say (if they could talk)-- "You want me to stop these big humungous meats??? Sorry; not today, ain't happening!!!" That's why I always harp on people to please, please, please allow an extra cushion of space between the car in front of you when running extremely heavy tires greater than the recommended 44 lbs maximum per tire weight on the VX!!! That's why I like www.TireRack.com as they list individual tire weight on their "spec" chart and is the very first place I check when people ask me about various tires. Riff
    I am wondering where you got your info from? I have seen many pics of vx's with stock tires totaled. And as far as that goes isn't it following too close that causes this to happen? I have larger and alot heavier tires than stock and have not rearended anyone . I think that the rubber lines on the vx brakes suck and that would be all I would change if there was a concern. And the stock pad thing,they are ceramic pads. If you go with a good ceramic pad then you do not need to by stock pads. shawn
    1COOLVX