Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help! I want bigger tires for my VX

Help! I want bigger tires for my VX

So I want to get some big mud tires on my VX but in order to do this the guys at the local tire store siad that I need to upgrade my brake system and all this other stuff. I dont even know what this means!?! Will some one please explain to me how I am to go about getting bigger tires.
    ( Im a girl so i need some help please)
    Thanks!
    *Ashley*
    PrettyKitty

I don't think so. As far as brake upgrades go, the most I know of people doing here are stainless steel brake lines and after market drilled/slotted rotors.

How big do you plan on going? I am running 265 BFG M/Ts and I did not change my brake lines. However I do have R1 Rotors and stock pads.

I think the shop is just trying to get some money out of you. Don't listen to them. You've come to the right place for good answers. Let us know this:

1) How big do you want to go?
    2) Does your VX have any sort of lift?

Bart

Also Prettykitty, don't do anything until our member RiffRaff has given you a plethora of tire info. This should occur soon, as I believe he has his computer wired to set off an alarm if the word "tire" is mentioned on this forum. lol

Heeeeeeeeeere's Riff !
    Last edited by handeeman : 12/17/2009 at 09:40 AM
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    Also Prettykitty, don't do anything until our member RiffRaff has given you a plethora of tire info. This should occur soon, as I believe he has his computer wired to set off an alarm if the word "tire" is mentioned on this forum. lol
    ROFL.....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Hi Ashley--- Welcome, fellow "Washingtonian"!!!

Ah, my favorite subject (sorry, internal joke amongst this forum). Your tire guy is right to a point. Your OEM tires on your VX weigh only 34 lbs each, and the factory OEM braking system was designed to accomodate primarily only this amount weight but can safely handle a marginal increase in aftermarket tire weight without harm.

The recommended variance for additional tire weight of an aftermarket tire is not to exceed 10 lbs over OEM; or in our VX case, a tire that weighs no more than 44 lbs max. Any tire heavier than 44 lbs each puts additional strain on the OEM braking system and it is recommended that high performance brake components be installed to accomodate the extra burden.

Are there larger VX tires that are within the 44 lb target point available on the market to safely run without having to upgrade the OEM brakes??? Heck, yes!!! Just visit www.TireRack.com and browse over various tires that spark your interest and specifically look at the "spec" page that will show individual tire weight on the chart. Generally speaking, you will find the TireRack website to be a wealth of knowledge and a valuable source.

Of note, the lightest brand of Mud-Terrain (M/T) tires on the market are made by YOKOHAMA TIRE and can be viewed at their factory website complete with weight specifications. Happy hunting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    ROFL.....
    x2!!!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Ashley,

At the other end of the spectrum, I did everything that Riff Raff hates with no ill effects (if done right). I'm lifted 3" and am running 33x12.50 Wranglers on 15" rims. I have not upgraded anything on my braking system ... yet. I'd like to go with stainless steel lines eventually. I will warn you though that if you lift, you put your CV joints at a harsh angle which will cause early failure of the boots. There is a fix for that though & we can help you with that if you get to that point.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettykittysprinkles View Post
    So I want to get some big mud tires on my VX but in order to do this the guys at the local tire store siad that I need to upgrade my brake system and all this other stuff. I dont even know what this means!?! Will some one please explain to me how I am to go about getting bigger tires.
    ( Im a girl so i need some help please)
    Thanks!
    *Ashley*
    Hey Ashley. If your VX has stock wheels they are 18" diameter. You can fit bigger tires on those wheels without any mods, minus perhaps some slight trimming in places the tires may rub during cornering. I believe the max tire size is 31.5" before you start running into greater clearance problems. You can install a 16" wheel to make for a larger sidewall tire as well which can give the look of a larger tire. Keep in mind tho if you install mud tires, you decrease handling and usually ride characteristics. You could lift your VX for about $200 plus labor and fit something more like a 33" tire whereas the stock VX has a 29" or so. Also, most mud tires perform poorly on ice - snow they are fine, but many mud tires lack tread siping which gives biting edges to your tires for grip in the slick stuff. So make sure you know what you are getting into before you pounce... good luck and welcome to the forum!!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Ashely, all joking aside, I run 31x12.5x15 and just a tad of a lift with 2 inch spacers and front torsion bars cranked, my CVs I dont need to worry about since I am not as high as some people on this site (no pun intended dub) and I also have the stainless steel brake lines and you can ask anyone that rides with me how hard I am on braking....and I have had no problems..

There are so many threads on this issue, feel free to search this site to yours hearts content, there is a lot of info here already, I am sure you can find a great solution for what you are looking for.

Here is my build thread:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...light=bigbeast

All you really need is new springs in the rear and some hard work and you are good to go

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post

Heeeeeeeeeere's Riff !
    HAHAHAHAHA, wow too funny!

ROFL.....
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    the factory OEM braking system was designed to accomodate primarily only this amount weight but can safely handle a marginal increase in aftermarket tire weight without harm.
    Everything Riff said is right on, but for my and many others personal real life experience, our VX's stock braking system is still more than adequate to lock up all 4 tires on command (even with ridiculously heavy wheels and tires), but if you want more braking power than it takes to lock up the tires feel free to upgrade but it seems a little silly to upgrade past the ability to completely stop rotation unless you are worried about over heating because of racing type use. Your call, yes increasing rotating mass increases stopping distance, but I for one had many more close calls before upgrading wheels/tires than after, I do not know what to attribute that to, maybe being more careful just because I know it will take a little longer to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    x2!!!
    never gets old huh?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Question i get cornfused...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA, wow too funny!

exactly

Everything Riff said is right on, but for my and many others personal real life experience, our VX's stock braking system is still more than adequate to lock up all 4 tires on command (even with ridiculously heavy wheels and tires), but if you want more braking power than it takes to lock up the tires feel free to upgrade but it seems a little silly to upgrade past the ability to completely stop rotation unless you are worried about over heating because of racing type use. Your call, yes increasing rotating mass increases stopping distance, but I for one had many more close calls before upgrading wheels/tires than after, I do not know what to attribute that to, maybe being more careful just because I know it will take a little longer to stop.

never gets old huh?
    It kinda depends on which rif you're talkin' to...one week he'll say big tires & wheels are the devil...

In another thread he'll post "go big or go home"

I think it's dependent on some cycle I don't fully comprehend...
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/17/2009 at 02:40 PM

Like menstrual cycle? LOL I couldnt resist, and I am female so I can say it

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Like menstrual cycle? LOL I couldnt resist, and I am female so I can say it
    Buhh-ZINGGGggggg...

I was thinkin' LUNAR, but...
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/17/2009 at 04:58 PM

Hi Ashley--- Welcome, fellow "Washingtonian"!!!
    X2

I am not an expert like riff raff but I have been running Nitto Terra Grapplers @ 55 lbs each for over 4 years with no braking mods and no problems.

Good luck.