Thread: How to rescue a car stuck in the snow.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

I'd say everyone has come up with some great suggestions. I would add one more thing. Keep a gallon of clorox bleach with you. If you are driving on snow or ice, pour it over your tires. It helps your tires stick to the icy road.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    when i used to pull people with my VX i would put it in 4lo and winter mode and gently let of the brake and lightly apply gas.

its really the only time i used the winter mode, but it seems to help a lot.
    and like others said, back right side with shackles and a tow strap.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    when i used to pull people with my VX i would put it in 4lo and winter mode and gently let of the brake and lightly apply gas.

its really the only time i used the winter mode, but it seems to help a lot.
    and like others said, back right side with shackles and a tow strap.
    If I am not mistaken, winter mode just starts the tranny in 3rd gear? So why bother going to 4lo if you are going to start in 3rd gear in low, which I would think is about the same as 4hi 1st gear? Just curious. I wish it would snow here so I could play too I would drive around all day pulling people out of the snow just for fun.

In addition to the straps, bring a few flashlights. It would suck trying to strap a car at dusk or after dark. I would also evaluate getting a collapsible shovel for digging snow from under the vehicle to get to a tow point.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Make sure you get 2 shackles. (that is if the towee has a shackle point of connection)
    If not you can double the strap back after wrapping around there connecting point either to your shackle (halving it) or double it back and put the shackle through the loop and then around the strap...(does that make sense?).
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    If not you can double the strap back after wrapping around there connecting point either to your shackle (halving it) or double it back and put the shackle through the loop and then around the strap...(does that make sense?).
    i also got a "dog bone" from cabelas (outdoors store) basically its a metal pipe with two ends that you can use to adjust a strap to any length you need.. it has come in handy for me a few times pulling people out of the ditch across the narrow road i used to live on

one other piece of advice.. make sure there is plenty of room around you, especially if the VX is also on ice or snow, it will have a tendancy to wander back and forth a bit... and if you are on a hill.. pull them uphill! it makes it a little more difficult.. but you eliminate the risk of having them slide down into you after being pulled free

All VERY great advice.

I hope I never have the need to pull someone out. However if I do have the need, I now feel prepared.

Time to go buy stuff.

Thanks!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    If I am not mistaken, winter mode just starts the tranny in 3rd gear? So why bother going to 4lo if you are going to start in 3rd gear in low, which I would think is about the same as 4hi 1st gear?
    To keep the TOD from having to work so hard.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    yup, the dub has the right idea...

winter mode keeps the wheels from spinning and the engine from rapping out.
    generally when pulling someone, you wanna use torque instead of horsepower, therefore you would rather use a lower RPM and 'winter mode' will complete that attempt.

i just have tried pulling people in every combination possible and i have had the most success with 4LO and winter mode.
    in fact- i have pulled a tacoma, with a siezed motor, in gear...... uphill....... without spinning a tire in this mode.

and yes jamas, most 'offroaders' agree that you should NEVER EVER use a strap with hooks on the end, they quickly become the weak point and snap, therefor throwing a metal hook at your windshield at very high speeds.....

use a looped strap (i use a 4" strap with 3/4" shackles) with ARB shackles (they can be found for around $15-20 a piece)

good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    ....riiiiiigggghhhht

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    ....riiiiiigggghhhht
    when locked 4 lo, the TOD isn't in play...you knew that though...riiiiiigggghhhht?
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/23/2009 at 08:17 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    I'd say everyone has come up with some great suggestions. I would add one more thing. Keep a gallon of clorox bleach with you. If you are driving on snow or ice, pour it over your tires. It helps your tires stick to the icy road.
    Peace.
    Tom
    Wow, Tom! That's a new one. Never heard that before. You're not joking, are you? Does that actually work?

Bart