Thread: serious oil leak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Weird that it is the oil filter adapter...keep us posted!

Bart

well, that didnt do it.....

replaced the two gaskets, (o rings) on the oil filter housing, and still leaking oil, i am now thinking that it is a leak coming from the actual oil pump.....and i am not enthused about that. gonna start working on that this afternoon.
    anybody have any experience in dealing with a leaking oil pump? at least that is what the manual says it is, but TOBERT mentioned it as "front seal housing".
    it sounded like he was having the same leak as i am in his post "oil pump removal"
    problem is he left his post hanging, and never did say what his conclusion was on what the problem was.........
    well, here is go again....time to get to it!

Im going in!! Wish me luck!
    Last edited by IndianaVX : 01/15/2010 at 09:08 AM

Oil leaks can be a pain in the boot for sure. I was racking my brain trying to find the oil leak I had with my Trooper after the motor swap. I cleaned off the area really good with carb cleaner, let it dry, and then puffed baby powder all over the area. Then I could pin point the area where the oil was dripping from.

Does it leak all the time or only when the VX is running?

Bart

WHOO HOOO!!!!!!

Ok, first, thank you bart for your write up on the timing belt. i was able to "borrow" a laptop that i downloaded your write up onto, and kept it close to where i was working......so thanks buddy....know that your writeup will help other vx owners keep their trucks running!!!

NOW, after taking off all the timing covers off, and what not, i cleaned everything down, wiped off, ect. put the crank pully back on, and started the truck up.......watched......and waited.................and then it happened!
    i started seeing my oil drip, borderline stream out of the front of the drivers side cam, right behind the cam sprocket. so i cleaned everything off again, and looked, and the WHOLE FRONT CAM SEAL was spinning, completely out of the recess that it fits into! so again, brakecleaned everything off, and cleaned as much of the recess as i could with cleaner, let it dry, and used a yellow sealant smeared on the seal, and tapped it back into where it should go. letting it cure overnight, and i think i will be able to put it all back together and be on the road tomorrow sometime!!!
    Now, it got me wondering about alot of things from my issue a couple of years ago. The mechanics would have replaced this seal, i would have thought, with the correct seal, but now wonder if they just went to autozone with an ID and OD dimension they needed and matched it up that way?

OR..... it was just soooo cold, and the seal was just loose enough, that the cold shrank the seal, let it pop out, and leak like it was. and being where it leaked behind this seal, it let it run down the BACK of the timing covers, and hung up on the crank cover, and exposed itself way down by the oil filter housing. who knows??
    i was supprized that oil wasnt slung all over inside the covers, but it wasnt! it actually was pretty clean.
    Also, i noticed that the yahoo's that worked on it a couple of years ago left 2 of the timing cover bolts off, and all but 2 of the rubber washers on the backs of the covers. not sure what im gonna do there, maybe make it a project for this summer when its warmer, and get a new set of bolts and washers etc.
    so other than time, the fix cost me about $3.00! and well, the oil filter housing O-riings, which needed replaced, they were hard as a rock, probably would have shattered if i dropped them.
    so all has ended well on this repair as i type this!
    but still wont know for sure till i fire it up tommorrow after the sealant is cured. so im keeping my fingers crossed.

again, thanks bart for the write up, that was very cool being able to do a step, go to the puter and look at the next step, ect......just had to clean my hands alot!

and thanks to this forum, and the friendship and info it offers! hopefully this too will help someone in the future.
    i will try to take a pic in the morning of the details

David

David, I'm very glad you found the leak! That is half the battle! And glad my write up worked well for you.

You can probably get the rubber washers and new bolts from Merlin for pretty cheap. I would just call him and order some so you have them.

So, what you are saying is that the oil leak was coming from BEHIND one of the camshaft pulleys?

That's pretty crazy. I wonder if you should buy new camshaft pulleys and seals also. I've never heard of a leak from this area.

Bart

On tones cd manual, if you go to search, type in "camshaft and associated parts"
    Should be only one result show up.
    Its an exploded view of a cylinder head.....the part #10 is the oil seal that popped out and was the cause of
    My oil leak!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

IIRC, cam seals are supposed to be replaced at the same time as the timing belt/tensioner/water pump...

Glad you found it...