Thread: Congrats to Techy-D on Vx #2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JGeorge264 View Post
    Glad things are going well and your old rig is retaliating instead of the new one. lol Have you had a chance to look at anything on the tranny yet? I hope you find its something much less painful than needing a rebuild. Which one are you having electrical issues with? I miss the vx alot but it sounds like he found a good home. Did your co-workers notice the color change?
    Ha! I've had fun, because some people have given me some strange looks and asked if I repainted/got new/wasn't it Silver??? ... I tell them that my Cloaking device is on the fritz. I never knew so many people were paying attention. Oh, and the "dune princess" sticker got me a lot of ribbing (It came off this weekend, when I had the chance). The new one has the electrical issues (I'm guessing a bad ground somewhere causes some of the dash lights/gauges to twinkle/jump sometimes). I'm hoping it's part to blame for the tranny issues??? I've done a bit of tranny checking, but don't know much yet (It definitly needs a fluid change - due to the slipping I'm sure). For now, I'll minimize the driving of it till I can do more research, but it still gets around pretty good. I'm totally happy!
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

Hmmm the dash light guages thing is something new. It wasn't doing that when I was still driving it. Wonder if it could be caused by sitting for those 4 months. I previously had electrical issues - very strange random stuff - that all went away with the new battery. That was over a yr ago. That would be great if you could find something electrical thats triggering the tranny issues. I won't even feel bad if it's something easy and stupid cuzz we just didn't have the time or (I should say - my other half- didn't have the time, or know how, or want to, to really invest much into it.) Good Luck and let me know what you find.

Jody

I belive my old rig has now accepted the new one.

I mentioned swapping some parts for testing purposes, well it had an interesting effect. After running my new rig a couple days (while working on the brakes of VX#1), I put the idle control solenoid back in my old rig and started using it again (Note to self: Get another one, so I don't have to swap). It's been 4 days now and no error codes. I use to get a momentary lean code almost every day (Just been clearing them with the scan gauge & blaming it on the alcohol in the fuel). I can't say I know it's fixed, but this is the longest string of good behavior I've seen in over a year!!!

I've had a little time to check a few electrical things, but nothing much yet. I'll let you know when I figure it out. If it's something big, then it's something big, but I'm guessing it's a lot of little things. At least that's what I'm working on first!

Latest update, if anyone is interested. I've pulled the dash and console apart and so far got the cruise control and rear defroster going!!! Ye-Ha!!!

I found some old french fries, dog hair, and gold fish, not sure what the stickey stuff was? I've decided to detail as I go, so even if I don't fix it all right away, it'll look great!

I've gotten deeper into the shop manual (something I should have made time for long ago), and having a great time!

Dang, you'd of thought the dog would have gotten rid of the french fries and gold fish's.. lol You got the cruise control light to go out? That and the rear defrost never worked the whole 6 yrs I had it.
    (sorry bout the dog hair, fries and fish)

Quote Originally Posted by JGeorge264 View Post
    Dang, you'd of thought the dog would have gotten rid of the french fries and gold fish's.. lol You got the cruise control light to go out? That and the rear defrost never worked the whole 6 yrs I had it.
    (sorry bout the dog hair, fries and fish)
    Yep, got that pesky light to behave and the defroster working to boot!
    Each time I can fix something it spurs me on... Either that or the new found energy found by nibbling on the fishies & fries. (Note: No fries, fishies, or fur, were actually eaten in the repair or cleanup of said VX)