Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Might take my VX to Japan

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I would be heading to either Yoko or Sasebo. I have been to both a dozen times or so. Uncle Sam will ship one, and store one, they do maintenance on them while they are stored. As for small cars, they are not all small, there are a lot of 4wd mini vans, I think they are Mitsubishi, and they are sweet!! Minivan with a lift and a brushguard.
    I would be more than happy to be a JDM supplier, and I would have access to US mail, so shipping is not too crazy.
    In my 13 yrs, I have been stationed in (listed in chronological order to present)
    Orlando, Albany, Norfolk(armpit of America), San Diego, back to Norfolk, Guam, back to San Diego and now Charleston. That is a lot of moving. I actually enjoy it as sick as that sounds.
    I can't believe I am about to say I think I understand you. I sometimes wish I wouldn't have bought a house because I am so tied down by it (perhaps in the butt crack of America) - I think I like not having roots, and a change of scenery is really nice. I think I would like to spend some time in all the places you listed... even the armpit of America, just for the experience of it.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    I can't believe I am about to say I think I understand you. I sometimes wish I wouldn't have bought a house because I am so tied down by it (perhaps in the butt crack of America) - I think I like not having roots, and a change of scenery is really nice. I think I would like to spend some time in all the places you listed... even the armpit of America, just for the experience of it.
    Yep, it gets better, as a kid, I lived in Missouri, Georgia, Connecticut, and finally Ohio. I have moved around my whole life, I am used to it.

All these places, and that is where I base my dislike of So Cal from. Followed closely by Norfolk. My favorite so far is Charleston, because its cheap and the people are pretty nice.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

13 years and thats it? In 4.5 I "visited" San Diego, Millington Tn, Whidbey Island Wa, Cherry Point NC, Twenty Nine Palms Ca, Thialand, Korea, Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Oslo, Philipines, Spain,...
    Yeah, we got around!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    13 years and thats it? In 4.5 I "visited" San Diego, Millington Tn, Whidbey Island Wa, Cherry Point NC, Twenty Nine Palms Ca, Thialand, Korea, Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Oslo, Philipines, Spain,...
    Yeah, we got around!
    Not visited, those are the places I have lived, meaning my household goods were moved there and my wife and I lived there.
    Places visited:
    Vancouver, Hawaii x5, Brisbane Australia x2, Hong Kong x2, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Pusan South Korea x2, Sasebo and Yokohama Japan 12 or so times, Dubai UAE x2, Baharain(SP) x1. And about 300 days or so of tooling around in circles off of North Korea and in the Gulf.

Seems like everyone enlisted gets stationed in Guam at some point or another... a friend of mine bounced off a windshield while on tour there. OK, so I only know 3 people that went there, but still!

Seems like everyone enlisted gets stationed in Guam at some point or another... a friend of mine bounced off a windshield while on tour there. OK, so I only know 3 people that went there, but still!
    Very strategic location, I would go back in a heartbeat, there is only one hobby I like more than crawlin, and that is offshore saltwater fishing. Although it is much more expensive than wheeling, it makes golf look like a poor man's hobby. I miss my boat sometimes, a Mako 191 with twin honda outboards, but with kids, I would have absolutely no time to take care of it. It was good times though.

If your going to pay the high cost off shipping one oversea's, I would sell yours and buy one in Japan drive it there then bring the JDM VX back to the USA. There not going for much $$ than ours are... my 2c
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Yeah, we got around!
    Cool! I live just about 10 minutes north of Millington.
    OT I know...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    my vote is to bring a JDM home... then you could have the 2wd switch built in!!
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Isn't it harder to bring a vehicle back to the States due to DOT safety requirements? One thing that pops into my head is the side marker lights need to be on the corner. I think Chris is right to rather take his 3.5 powered and personally modified VX with him and look for a JDM transfer case... or five... to swap in US spec VX's.

... Norfolk(armpit of America), ...
    Clearly you have never been to New Jersey.

Isn't it harder to bring a vehicle back to the States due to DOT safety requirements? One thing that pops into my head is the side marker lights need to be on the corner. I think Chris is right to rather take his 3.5 powered and personally modified VX with him and look for a JDM transfer case... or five... to swap in US spec VX's.
    Who knows what I could find over there, and I believe you are correct about bringing their model back. No can do, unless it was a pure ORV. I could do that, would be easy in Utah with their new licensing requirements.
    As for taking mine, Uncle Sam foots the bill, so no worries there.

As for taking mine, Uncle Sam foots the bill, so no worries there.
    (just poking you wlth a stick) SO...I'm paying(taxes) to ship the VX around!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    Cool! I live just about 10 minutes north of Millington.
    OT I know...
    Unfortunately I didn't particularly care for Millington/Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    (just poking you wlth a stick) SO...I'm paying(taxes) to ship the VX around!
    Yep, in exchange, I leave my family months at a time to run the nuclear reactor onboard whatever assigned aircraft carrier I am on

Also keep in mind that you are about to foot the bill for millions of unemployed, and illegal non tax paying person's health care, and not to mention the billions spent so that people could get nice new cars on your dime in an effort to keep afloat car companies that have created sub standard vehicles for decades.
    Sorry, my thread, I can jack it

I didn't want to pop the news too soon pending the transaction, but I am buying another VX. It has a cracked block, so I will have parts available soon. I may track down an engine and get it running again, but it is an ebony with black on red, cosmetically sound. I will start a new thread when I am done and decided what I will do.