Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Might take my VX to Japan

Might take my VX to Japan

So it looks like my next orders will takes us to Japan. I have until next Aug. I wonder if I can take my VX with me. If I can, its going, and while we are there,it will get a new engine at some point. I wonder if I could pull off a mod to enable 2wd while over there? The possibilities are endless...maybe a swap for a JDM, just a thought.

Hell, maybe JoFoto's ORW will make a flight out to see me after her European tour is complete

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I have the JDM front fender mirror if you go, you'll need one...

Of course you'll either need to mod the mirror or mod your VX to be a right-hand drive.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Where at in J'pan? I spent just short of a year in Iwakuni. I would say leave the VX at home and buy a very small car (the roads are narrow and crowded) and a bike. 90% of the people there get around by bike and public transport (train).
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Why not get a JDM VX then when you come back stateside bring it back with you! Thats what I'd do....
    nznsi

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Either way if you go Marlin you could be our Jdm parts supplier ?

I'm with ^^... A JDM supplier would be great, considering I lost both of mine there last year...

As for the OP... I would sell and pick up a JDM...

1.) The cost of getting it shipped out there (if the military doesn't pick up the tab)
    2.) Shaken (vehicle inspection)
    3.) Japanese NOx and PM Law

You would be safer to just buy a JDM...

I lived in Okinawa for 8 years... and frequently flew to Tokyo and other locations... Been wishing to go back for the past 10 years!!!
    Last edited by Knigh7s : 01/12/2010 at 11:32 PM
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

sweet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Marlin,

I'll babysit your VX whilst you are gone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Poor Japan... I kid, I kid! How many times have you had to relocate now? I am pretty sure my cousin shipped his mini van to Italy when he was stationed there. You might just luck out! I'd love to spend some time in Japan myself...
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

I'd love for you to spend some time in Japan too. Take Handee with you PLEEEEZ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Poor Japan... I kid, I kid! How many times have you had to relocate now? I am pretty sure my cousin shipped his mini van to Italy when he was stationed there. You might just luck out! I'd love to spend some time in Japan myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I'd love for you to spend some time in Japan too. Take Handee with you PLEEEEZ!!!
    I'd love to go to Japan. My roomate in college was from Osaka, I got my second Black Belt from him ( well it went with my black shoes).

Shirley you jest (I know don't call you Shirley) as for me being in Japan (PLEEZE), I believe they have internet there too. You can run but ya can't hide.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    I think Japan has allot tougher emissions standards then Italy. Something like they can only run a engine 50k miles then it has to be swapped out, hence the reason so many used jap engines being available here.

Anyway Chris, hope you can get yourself hooked up with some of the local JDM clubs and start sourcing some of the neat stuff they have that we don't, and of course it would be a two way street if them need anything we have.

Good luck and be sure to have a great time while you and the family are there. One of the many things I miss from my military career
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    Shirley you jest (I know don't call you Shirley) as for me being in Japan (PLEEZE), I believe they have internet there too. You can run but ya can't hide.
    True but there is a VERY slight chance I will be in Gainsville next month. That's entirely too close to you for my comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    True but there is a VERY slight chance I will be in Gainsville next month. That's entirely too close to you for my comfort zone.
    Dude, that's fantastic......with that much notice most of us will be able to get outta state. Or at least have a mini meet in Miami (about 6 hrs.from Gainesville).

Marlin, would the Dept.of Defense pay to take to and from?

I would be heading to either Yoko or Sasebo. I have been to both a dozen times or so. Uncle Sam will ship one, and store one, they do maintenance on them while they are stored. As for small cars, they are not all small, there are a lot of 4wd mini vans, I think they are Mitsubishi, and they are sweet!! Minivan with a lift and a brushguard.
    I would be more than happy to be a JDM supplier, and I would have access to US mail, so shipping is not too crazy.
    In my 13 yrs, I have been stationed in (listed in chronological order to present)
    Orlando, Albany, Norfolk(armpit of America), San Diego, back to Norfolk, Guam, back to San Diego and now Charleston. That is a lot of moving. I actually enjoy it as sick as that sounds.