I dunno Bart... you might be over thinking it (hello black kettle)... try to look at it like this. Reno has a pop of about 220,000 right? If you met everyone in Reno you might like less than 25% of them (let's be honest - you are not a people lover ). And you live in Reno 24/7 until you want to get away from that 75% - for a few days you could easily tolerate hippies telling you that 'you are beautiful', spying hot naked chicks everywhere, interpreting art, playing with flame throwers, checking out robots and crazy art cars, wearing apocalypse clothing, etc. Most of those people you don't like are likely NOT the folks you are going to seek out or find in Black Rock City. If you somehow do, you simply roll along to the next camp/party. I would imagine you could easily enjoy the company of those who are serving you a free drink whether or not they are lawyers or nuclear engineers I could see you hanging out at the Thunderdome with the wastelanders and then chilling with the guys who bring their own homemade flamethrowers and then checking out Dr.Megavolt and then Ein Hammer - there really is so much out there to take in and enjoy for all different types of folks. Also, EVERYONE is stepping out of character a lil bit because we built our own fantasy city/society to live in.
Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
Funny, because I know a few people that go to Burning Man that I can't stand. Like this guy that was our realtor when we moved to Reno. Total douche. I would NOT want to party with this guy.

One of the things that turns me off about BM is that a lot of these people are phonies who just go there once a year and "let their freak flag fly". I'm sure there are a lot of geniune people that go (I know Justin's freak flag is flying 24/7, ), but the realtors, and lawyers and stock brokers and other people like this that don't have the balls to be a freak full time and have to wait until BM to be this way, I dunno, I just don't get it. It's like, just be real and be yourself all the time, not only when its acceptable. Know what I mean?

Its like 50% of BM I am totally with, and the other 50% I just think is stupid. I'm not knocking it, just saying, I don't know if it would be my scene at all.

Bart