Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: WOOT WOOT! Burning Man here I come!

I dunno Bart... you might be over thinking it (hello black kettle)... try to look at it like this. Reno has a pop of about 220,000 right? If you met everyone in Reno you might like less than 25% of them (let's be honest - you are not a people lover ). And you live in Reno 24/7 until you want to get away from that 75% - for a few days you could easily tolerate hippies telling you that 'you are beautiful', spying hot naked chicks everywhere, interpreting art, playing with flame throwers, checking out robots and crazy art cars, wearing apocalypse clothing, etc. Most of those people you don't like are likely NOT the folks you are going to seek out or find in Black Rock City. If you somehow do, you simply roll along to the next camp/party. I would imagine you could easily enjoy the company of those who are serving you a free drink whether or not they are lawyers or nuclear engineers I could see you hanging out at the Thunderdome with the wastelanders and then chilling with the guys who bring their own homemade flamethrowers and then checking out Dr.Megavolt and then Ein Hammer - there really is so much out there to take in and enjoy for all different types of folks. Also, EVERYONE is stepping out of character a lil bit because we built our own fantasy city/society to live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Funny, because I know a few people that go to Burning Man that I can't stand. Like this guy that was our realtor when we moved to Reno. Total douche. I would NOT want to party with this guy.

One of the things that turns me off about BM is that a lot of these people are phonies who just go there once a year and "let their freak flag fly". I'm sure there are a lot of geniune people that go (I know Justin's freak flag is flying 24/7, ), but the realtors, and lawyers and stock brokers and other people like this that don't have the balls to be a freak full time and have to wait until BM to be this way, I dunno, I just don't get it. It's like, just be real and be yourself all the time, not only when its acceptable. Know what I mean?

Its like 50% of BM I am totally with, and the other 50% I just think is stupid. I'm not knocking it, just saying, I don't know if it would be my scene at all.

Bart
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

I think you are overthinking it too, what part about:

ALL the booze is FREE there...And nearly every camp has there own WET BAR....HeHe...
    did you miss?

I think I'm going to go next year. I heard the dust and rain and wind were pretty bad this year though.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Actually Beau - you just have to camp on the right side of town. I have some video footage from atop our tower at our camp from Monday that shows what I mean. We barely had any dust during the entire event until Saturday when the wind did a 180, and even then we lucked out in comparison to some others! I did notice on the opposite side of town tho, they got hammered almost the whole time. Our camp organizer requested a spot near a location he had noticed seemed to always have better conditions and we were all grateful!

Justin and Big Meat just might have convinced me to go next year!
    You only live once...maybe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post

COOL COOL....Any one else up for a VX meet at next years BM???

I think I have finally found a use for my extra thrashed VX tub...A VX art car!!!

Mabey Ill mod it into a sort of Mars Rover - Spaceship look???
    Or chop it into a roadster style???

Any ideas are welcomed!

A VX hot tub roadster!!!
    I can't make it next year but plan on going in 2012 when the theme HAS to be "End of Days"!

I was driving from Tahoe to San Fran on the last day and saw alot of BM cars. VERY DUSTY. Thats one way to spot them. Beyond that and not in any way degrading I do have to ask were there showers there?

I am interested in going, however I do not still fully understand the whole idea.

Zues - could you sum it up in a couple of lines or so what you feel it is? Plus how much is the weekly ticket?

All those things you said, Justin, you are right about. I would probably enjoy those aspects for a day or two...but for a whole week? Probably not.

However, I did go to the Road Warrior event which from what I understand was a lot like BM, with a lot of the same BM people attending. Now, granted, the turn out for the Road Warrior Weekend Event was much smaller, I honestly was not overly impressed. Part of the problem was with organization, but in general, I guess for me its just that I am not a "community fish". Really the only part of that event I enjoyed, was seeing the other cars and meeting Vernon Wells and Virginia Hey. I really could care less about the other people, seriously. I mean, I'm social, to a point. Once I get to know people, for sure. I mean, Moab ZuZu is great because I pretty much already "know people".

Camping for me is about getting away from people, FAR AWAY from people. Not that BM is a camping event, but it is a "getting away from it all" event but to me it just sounds like a big hippie-naked-drug-fest with a bunch of art-fags mixed in. And believe me, I'm not downing it, not at all. I just simply don't think it is for me. Maybe if I was 20 years old, single, and in the right mind set, maybe, but right now, I just really have no interest in it. I hate to say it, but I feel like I've seen it all already. Know what I mean? I am kinda desensitized. I've seen loads of photos and videos from previous events, and I just don't see anything that makes me say to myself, "man, I gotta go and experience that!" Know what I'm sayin'? I would much rather go to Bryce Canyon and look out over a cliff and see NOTHING and NO ONE but what mother nature created. I am not fascinated by "people", not in the least bit, and I think in a nut shell, that is why BM does nothing for me. I hope that makes sense....

Maybe I am just a fuddy-duddy.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    I was driving from Tahoe to San Fran on the last day and saw alot of BM cars. VERY DUSTY. Thats one way to spot them. Beyond that and not in any way degrading I do have to ask were there showers there?

I am interested in going, however I do not still fully understand the whole idea.

Zues - could you sum it up in a couple of lines or so what you feel it is? Plus how much is the weekly ticket?
    No, there are no showers! Sorry... See, an open, inhospitable, desolate, Nevada playa is converted to a city surface once a year by the organizers and participants of The Burning Man Project to form Black Rock City, Nevada - complete with a post office but no plumbing. It is an annual community experiment and art installation - this year 50,000+ strong. Apparently the org gives the BLM $3mil yearly to use the playa for this one week. Because of the happenings and police presence during the event and the expense of the land use, there is talk of a private land purchase somewhere - with that I have heard of the possibility of plumbing, but I find it doubtful. Bring your own solar shower if you can't handle your own BO. I twice followed behind a water truck as it doused the dusty roads and I otherwise used wet wipes before applying sun block every morning.

BM to me, huh? Hmm... besides what I have explained, BM is about unity, equality, imagination, freedom, inner peace, spirituality, sharing, artistic expression, (drugs and/or alcohol for those inclined), and a rite of passage. The typical introduction goes as follows: "Welcome Home." It is also a canvas for art displayed in many forms; loud music, painting, human interaction, sculpture, the nude female body. Words really don't do justice for the effects it can have on your psyche upon arrival or departure. You won't fully understand the whole idea without experiencing it yourself - promise.

I also like this description by Daniel Pinchbeck: "I consider Burning Man to be a fulcrum for the evolution of consciousness on the planet, where cutting-edge scientists consort with neo-pagan warlocks, and arcane bits of knowledge are exchanged at hyperspeed."
    Last edited by ZEUS : 09/09/2010 at 10:59 PM

Well man, I won't tell YOU 'you've gotta go' - frankly, it seems you have already made up your mind that you would not have fun so I doubt you would. You're mind is closed to it. I do think you would be surprised at the culture and warmth of the individuals you meet which is not present in most pics. I typically hold an overwhelming hatred for people but a brighter light was cast upon that darkness during this trip (even before I lost sobriety ). I was only suggesting if you did ever decide to go to only go for a couple days because you are so close and you wouldn't be moving somewhere for a week like we did. You are beautiful Bart and we love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    All those things you said, Justin, you are right about. I would probably enjoy those aspects for a day or two...but for a whole week? Probably not.

However, I did go to the Road Warrior event which from what I understand was a lot like BM, with a lot of the same BM people attending. Now, granted, the turn out for the Road Warrior Weekend Event was much smaller, I honestly was not overly impressed. Part of the problem was with organization, but in general, I guess for me its just that I am not a "community fish". Really the only part of that event I enjoyed, was seeing the other cars and meeting Vernon Wells and Virginia Hey. I really could care less about the other people, seriously. I mean, I'm social, to a point. Once I get to know people, for sure. I mean, Moab ZuZu is great because I pretty much already "know people".

Camping for me is about getting away from people, FAR AWAY from people. Not that BM is a camping event, but it is a "getting away from it all" event but to me it just sounds like a big hippie-naked-drug-fest with a bunch of art-fags mixed in. And believe me, I'm not downing it, not at all. I just simply don't think it is for me. Maybe if I was 20 years old, single, and in the right mind set, maybe, but right now, I just really have no interest in it. I hate to say it, but I feel like I've seen it all already. Know what I mean? I am kinda desensitized. I've seen loads of photos and videos from previous events, and I just don't see anything that makes me say to myself, "man, I gotta go and experience that!" Know what I'm sayin'? I would much rather go to Bryce Canyon and look out over a cliff and see NOTHING and NO ONE but what mother nature created. I am not fascinated by "people", not in the least bit, and I think in a nut shell, that is why BM does nothing for me. I hope that makes sense....

Maybe I am just a fuddy-duddy.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    You are beautiful Bart and we love you.
    Thanks, J! But am CERTAINLY not as beautiful as you, no one, and I mean NO ONE needs to see me in a fig leaf and a straw hat!

Maybe we'll go some year...maybe. And then I won't feel bad about the things I say.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    I hope you do make it out Scott. Age don't mean much. Our camp ranged from 21 to 75 this year. Norm and Pops were the eldest and yet Norm was bringing in the most hotties because of his myriad of vinegar concoctions and potions! DELICIOUS and good for you! Dre brought out all sorts of stones and woods and the tools to carve and/or wire them. Mikey had leather goods. Most of these fine folks are from Moab. Chris is one of the owners of Area BFE and is a riot! And has no tan lines... anywhere HAHA! We took in a pair of hikers as they were passing our camp and Jess went topless instantly and was very friendly to everyones' delight! Good peeps one and all...