Thread: What is this metal Rod behind cd changer?

What is this metal Rod behind cd changer?

Hey guys. Need help identifying something. I have no CD changer, it has been removed. Inside the hole I was looking around and i found a metal rod towards the rear right hand side. It has a small L shape on one end and appears to be some kind of threaded end on other. I also see a white plastic arm. To me it appears this rod attaches to the white arm with the L end....but I have no clue where the "threaded end" goes. Also, I have no clue what this part is or what it is for? I assumed for HVAC but my heater works my AC works my defroster works....and this metal rod is not attached so I don't know.

Thanks,
    Michael

i know what you are talking about, not sure what it does exactly, my best guess is that it opens and closes dampers to re-direct the air from defrosters to vents to floorboards

at first i thought it might be for the shift lock release but i dont think thats it either

I don't know. Everything works fine. Do u know how to hook it back up?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmonk7663 View Post
    Hey guys. Need help identifying something. I have no CD changer, it has been removed. Inside the hole I was looking around and i found a metal rod towards the rear right hand side. It has a small L shape on one end and appears to be some kind of threaded end on other. I also see a white plastic arm. To me it appears this rod attaches to the white arm with the L end....but I have no clue where the "threaded end" goes. Also, I have no clue what this part is or what it is for? I assumed for HVAC but my heater works my AC works my defroster works....and this metal rod is not attached so I don't know.

Thanks,
    Michael

hi michael !

some pics can be helpfull.
    Dakar was just the begining.

On my '99 there's a threaded end and white plastic part right above the gas pedal. That controls the flap that shuts off air flow to the floor when you select defrost only. It might be different on a '00-'01.

I've had to adjust it twice so far 'cuz I was getting too much air on the floor when I wanted it all up top. I separate the two parts and select defrost only, then move the flap arm to close it tight, then snap the threaded metal part into the groove in the white plastic part. The threads are there to keep it from sliding out of position. Then it closes tight when I select defrost.

I hope that's what you're talking about.

Mark

Well I'm not talking about by the gas pedal but it sounds like same type of part. I'll see if I can figure out where the threaded end goes when I get off work. Thanks for the help yall.

Michael

Yeah, a '99 has different air controls, so yours might be on the other side. It sure sounds like the same gizmo as mine. Let me see if I can get a photo.

Mark

Okay, I got the photo from my '99 on the driver's side.

Mark

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    I can get a pic of mine, there are rods beneath where the cd changer is mounted,

as i broke one of mine off and had to retro fit it.

ill post a pic later.

I know this thread is a little old, but I just wanted to say how much I LOVE THIS FREAKIN' SITE!!!

My window defroster stopped working about a week ago and I really had no idea how to fix it. I was worried that I was going to have to take the dash board apart, and maybe take the heater unit out from behind the dash. UGH!! I jumped on the site real quick to see if anyone else had had the same problem before, and during my search I ran across this thread. My issue wasn't the same as Mark's, but his picture and description of what was going on got me under the dash where I saw a little metal rod, a little higher up than his picture, that was disconnected and hanging free. Opened the shop manual to find out what the rod should have been connected to, found it, went back to the VX and reconnected the rod and now my defrost is back and I can see where I'm going.

Again, the site and it's members saved me a bunch of time and probably a bunch of money because I didn't have to bring it to someone to work on.

WOOT!!
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I know this thread is a little old, but I just wanted to say how much I LOVE THIS FREAKIN' SITE!!!
    Opened the shop manual to find out what the rod should have been connected to, found it, went back to the VX and reconnected the rod and now my defrost is back and I can see where I'm going.

Again, the site and it's members saved me a bunch of time and probably a bunch of money because I didn't have to bring it to someone to work on.

WOOT!!
    You know of my fondness for a story with a happy ending Mark...