Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: brake pads/rotor change

brake pads/rotor change

I was wondering, if it`s my driving style or the VX`s pads, but I have to change my front pads almost every 10000k! And today I heard that my front disk rotors are due for replacement!
    A joke which will cost me $600,-.
    I have 60.000 k on the meter, is this normal(not the price, but the fact that the rotors have to be replaced after 60k)?

Hey Dutchie,

That seems like an awful lot of wear on both the pads and rotors. I know there are others on this board that have gone that same distance on the same pads, and they seem to keep going on strong.

Anyone else out there experiencing the same amount of wear?

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I've got over 70K on mine and I've only changed pads once - around 50K I believe.

Ya, that definately doesnt seem right dutch. For your wallet's and perhaps even your safety's sake, I would check on those with someone who knows what they are doing to see if there is some sort of problem. I am at almost 16k miles now and I still have quite a bit of life in my brakes.... and I do a LOT of city driving, which means I am riding my brakes most of the time.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Thumbs up

thanks guys, I`ll go to another shop to have it checked out and get a second opinion.
    Again thanks for the quick responses!

Thumbs down

Could be your brake man just wants to pad his wallet! The holidays are right around th corner you know!
    I think I'd get a second opinion.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I changed my front OEM pads when I hit 60K. Rear pads where still about 60-70% goodbut fronts where worn out. I changed them myself, rotors were fine - total cost about $40 for the pads.

i have about 24 K and do not see ubnormal wear... my rotors were groovy from day one (not even smooth surface, but "groovs' all over) should I re-surface them in the shop ???
    Andrey

Wink

I have 29k and just had it inspected with about half the pads still left.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

I replaced the front pads at 15k, but I'm supercharged, and agressive. If you are wearing pads unusually fast I would check that the caliper guide pins are allowing the calipers to float properly.

John C.

Dumb dumb dumb, I knew that it couldn`t be right, my gutfeeling told me "you`re getting done", but my technical wisdom just drew a blank.
    Thanks guys I`ll defenitely go back to complain

If you are going through pads every 10K and are at 60K now, you could very easily need new rotors! Pads also eat the rotor depending on the compound and how much hard braking occurs. But there is something wrong with the brakes to cause them to eat pads that quickly, especially if they are the stock ones. At 40K on mine with a lot of high speed driver’s ed, they were thicker than some new aftermarket pads. Sounds like your calipers are probably sticking and will need to be rebuilt too.

New aftermarket rotors might be the way to go - several people on the board have changed calipers but I’ve never heard any data on how much better they are.

Stainless brake lines are a major improvement and Joe Darlington has done a lot of research and gotten some built that are heavy duty but still less than $200 for all 4 - http://darlington-offroad.com/catego...?UCIDs=1134065
    He blew out several brands before coming up with these. Check out the cool brake bleeder screws also for one person brake bleeding!
    Last edited by Tone : 08/13/2003 at 07:13 PM

If both wheels are eating the pads I would be looking at the entire braking system rather than a sticking caliper. Perhaps something in the valve block is keeping some pressure on the fronts causing them to wear. Jack the front up and apply and release the brake. Check to see if there is resistance in spinning the wheel. How does the fluid look? Contaminated fluid can expand and cause some pressure on the calipers. Jack it up when the vehicle is hot and spin the wheels. Just a few things to try.
    Andy from Isuzu America

Just wanted to say thet I have 48,000 miles on original pads and there is still another 10-20,000 miles left 'till I will need to replace them.

brakes

I have just heard back from a company called EBC regarding replacement disc pads for the VX. They make a low dust pad for SUV's which they produce to fit the VX both front and rear, they also produce the disc rotor too and it is slotted and part drilled.
    A few fellow Lotus owners I know have switched over to EBC products and been impressed.
    EBC part numbers Front pads DP 6973
    Rear pads DP 6974

Front discs D637

I will be fitting these soon and post the results