Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm considering cheating.

I'm considering cheating.

My love affair with my VX has been well documented in these forums over the years. As springtime approaches, however, I find that my eye has been straying a bit.

Don't get me wrong; I love my VX, and always will...but who hasn't occasionally pondered, "What it would be like to drive a DIFFERENT car? Maybe just for a weekend getaway, or a summertime fling?!?"

So after some late-night web-surfing, long after my VX has been put to bed, I found a likely candidate: a 1967 VW Deluxe bus. This little beauty is dressed in a cute two-tone red and white paint job, and has had all of her cosmetic work done. I have been assured that she's top-notch under the hood, too! I'll be flying to Florida soon, to meet her in person. I hope she's the one for me!

I hope my VX will be understanding, and will respect my desire for a more, shall we say, 'open relationship'. She'll always be my first love, but face it: a man's got needs!
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

I was thinking along that same line when we bought the RV last summer. I'm sure the Proton will be understanding tho when it's sitting pretty on the trailer behind the RV on the way to Moab 2011. WooHoo!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

From VX to VW bus. I'm speechless.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    The hubby and I have been looking at the 2010 Cad SRX of late...

I owned a 74 VW Ghia. That was a long love affair too until the VX walked in the room. Though there is something folkloric about an old VW.
    Last edited by Anita : 01/20/2010 at 11:28 AM
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

My very first car was a 1963 VW Bug, and I still have an oval window, rag top 1956 Bug stored at my parents house awaiting renovation. I too have been pondering getting another VW for daily commuting duties. I love the mid-60's buses, but they are very popular right now and way out of my price range.

I say GO FOR IT!! Post pictures when/if you get the Bus. VW, VX....close enough.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

If they ever put the HX/H4 concept into production, I would seriously consider it. (Though I'll have to spend significant time developing the argument for the wife.)

Also been thinking about an SVX as an alternate commuter car. Like the VX, something unique yet not ridiculously expensive to pick up.

Wow ! Most of the Threads I read to my VX I don't even have to be concerned with how she will react, but "eyes straying" will prolly be very disconcerting. If she sees it's over a 1967 VW Bus, she'll not start for a week ( she knows I drove one in the late 60's early 70's) when I lived in Lubbock Texas. It's one of those things where we don't ask much about each others past, we enjoy the here and now. I know it's kind of a man thing, but for most of us when we signed on the bottom line it's suppose to be forever.
    Do what you will. However one of the things I remember about the VW Bus was in those W.Texas winds if you were going down the interstate with a cross wind and went under an overpass she had a tendency to change lanes when ya cleared the other side. Plus if ya were headed into the wind top speed was about 55 or 60mph. I figure a mans gonna do what he's gonna do, if he's so inclined. I will say I can see the infactuation with an older more mature unit but she will prolly be the cause of much guilty feelings in the future. My 2 cents.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Handito .... God bless your little heart.

Did you see that VW Bus that was found in a crate recently? Check this out: http://wot.motortrend.com/6600350/cl...ity/index.html

Good luck... you dirty hippie!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

The VW Deluxe Bus is one of my all time favorite vehicles. I wouldn't give up my VX for one but would love to park one in the garage next to it!
    Foose built up a nice one on overhauling that was sweet.

And Mark lets see some pics of that oval window cabrio!

Zeus, that would be a sweet find...wonder what it went for at the auction?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Have you seen them with the porsche 911 turbo conversion?? Sounds a scary combination but definately an awesome vehicle. Arent the '60s split window bus's damn expensive??

WAY off topic.....

Billy, the '56 Bug wasn't a cabrio, but a "rag top". It's actually a large cloth sliding sunroof, for lack of a better term. I don't have many pictures of "Bugbite" with me, but here are a couple. They where taken not long after it was rebuilt the first time around, so these pictures are at least twenty years old.

The top image is Bugbite (on the left) with my first car, the '63.

The bottom picture of the motor was before the dual carburator set-up...now THAT was fun.
    Last edited by MSHardeman : 01/20/2010 at 03:26 PM

Very nice!...

...and not that far off topic. We are still talking VDubs

Back on topic, in the thread for the OC meet (back in Dec) there are some pics of a couple of VERY nice bus's that were at the car show. One is a deluxe the other not.

Last edited by Triathlete : 01/21/2010 at 09:45 AM

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4 View Post
    a 1967 VW Deluxe bus.
    Now THAT is contrast. I'll still be your friend as long as you keep your VX.

Bart

PS - There are just some cars that are married to certain stereotypes, and the VW bus is one of them:

VW bus- The ULTIMATE Hippie-mobile
    El Camino - The quintessential white trash whip
    Corvette - A bald man having a mid-life crisis

just to name a few...