Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: rear speaker install question

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    the antenna on the vehicross should be un-powered but im not positive about that.

the 'blue' wire coming out an aftermarket radio is used for powered antenna's (our's may be powered even though it doesnt move)

rowhard- the 'car side' of the blue wire would not be hot because its an input. and it expects 12v when the stereo is turned to the radio function.
    honestly, i would hook up the blue wire out of your radio into the 'car side' of the blue and see if it helps your reception.
    pretty much you can look at the other side of the connector and see if there is a wire going into the car or not. if there is a wire going out of the stereo connector into the car then its necessary for the 'ant. turn on' to be hooked up.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Jack, aren't our little shorty antennae's "amplified"? Could that be the "power" going to the antennae?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    That figures. It's hardly ever the easy stuff.

Are we still talking about the stock head unit? I noticed you said you have an amp for your sub, so is it safe to assume there's an aftermarket head unit too? A good ground strap/connection for the head unit never hurts.

As far as the sub amp goes, is there any type of noise suppression on the power feed for the amp? Inductive interference caused by speaker wires running too close or parallel to power leads can cause radio noise, so a noise suppressor on the power feed near the amp, or re-routing speaker wires or power leads (whichever is easiest) can sometimes cure the problem.
    Aftermarket head unit, Pioneer something or other. No noise suppression on power feed, but it wasn't a problem before the body work. I did try it with the fuse removed, so no power to sub amp and still had the static with ant. disconnected at back, and when I reconnected it, static went off the chart. VX in the garage but it was raining and that seems to make it worse.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Have you tried a new ant. ? Also with an aftermarket head unit the cable for the ant. connects on the opposite side and requires an extension to reach it...maybe it is not connected completely (or if they tried stretching the original cable to fit it might be pulling partially out).
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Aftermarket head unit, Pioneer something or other. No noise suppression on power feed, but it wasn't a problem before the body work. I did try it with the fuse removed, so no power to sub amp and still had the static with ant. disconnected at back, and when I reconnected it, static went off the chart. VX in the garage but it was raining and that seems to make it worse.
    What kind of body work was done? (Sorry if you've already mentioned it somewhere here on the board and I missed it.)

Rowhard: So bottom line is what depth can I go to behind the speaker and how far in front before hitting the plastic panel? I went to Best Buy looking at a few 3-way 6.5 inch speakers and then chickened out when I didnt know the distances. (all the boxes have the rear depth listed on them so that will be easy once I know..I have my scroll saw so I can cut the larger hole. Just unsure of depths.
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by wekilled View Post
    Rowhard: So bottom line is what depth can I go to behind the speaker and how far in front before hitting the plastic panel? I went to Best Buy looking at a few 3-way 6.5 inch speakers and then chickened out when I didnt know the distances. (all the boxes have the rear depth listed on them so that will be easy once I know..I have my scroll saw so I can cut the larger hole. Just unsure of depths.
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...at/3257/page/2

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...hp/photo/12044

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...hp/photo/12043

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...hp/photo/12039

Max mounting depth without modification = 2"

See photos above to see how amazingly close 2" will be, literally it is 1-2mm from contacting the wheel well.
    As you can see from the thread below, I used the included speaker grilles on my install, and just had to remove the stock VX black mesh and cut a little plastic off the factory VX speaker grille. In the end I think it looks better this way, just remember to move the yellow insulation stuff out of the way or it will look bad
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...943#post135943
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 03/05/2010 at 12:04 AM

6.5 speakers

Well, appreciate all the help! I am going for it, my speakers are officially blown and its time!

Quote Originally Posted by wekilled View Post
    my speakers are officially blown and its time!
    Musta been your big nuts causing overpressure in the cabin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.