Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Only 3 months to Moab...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Billy I was referring to OvExpo. It's in Amado, Santa Cruz County, Arizona.
    http://ovexpo.com/Home.html
    Dave & I went to their initial/first annual one last year, here in Prescott. Awesome! Saw some real beasts of over-land vehicles, huge, mongo things! One (Global Xpedition Vehicle) had a hydraulic spare tire lifter mechanism...to say the tire was large is an understatement. Attended a few neat seminars, and met Lance Blair of the Disabled Explorers who had lots of good info for me...plus he had a really cool blue FJ Cruiser too.
    Made us seriously regret selling our D90, but then we saw several really cool FJs...so we felt a little better. You'll love the show....and I think this year it has some hands on driving stuff too.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Ovexpo is not about wheeling

It's about vehicle dependent travel and training. There will be a lot of world travelers, in several hundred thousand dollar vehicles Some $1m Unicat Vehicles even. I'm definitely going, but I haven't decided if I'm going by Motorcycle, or if I'm going by VX. Either way I'm extremely excited.

I'll get in touch with you as it approaches.

http://www.unicatamericas.com/secondhand.html

an example of some Pricey vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Ovexpo is not about wheeling
    Actually, yes it is...just a differant type And what do you do when you are 300 miles from nowhere and you come upon a large ledge in your path? Turn around? Or forge ahead?

Bring the VX!!!!!!!!!!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Sorry to pull this thread way off topic

I am quite excited... and There is a full on driving school going on. Which I think would be great. If I ever get a D90 I'll never sell it and for FJs...

http://www.exp-one.com/fj_cruiser.html

Those are my favorite products... They're down the street from me, and I'm going in next weekend to see if they can fab up one of their Trail bumpers for me (shhh) however, they're not really confident they can do it with out mass customization and $$$ so, I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's been a couple of years, so I'm thinking about heading out to Moab again this year. What's the latest headcount?!?
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4 View Post
    It's been a couple of years, so I'm thinking about heading out to Moab again this year. What's the latest headcount?!?
    its on the calender with the other meets that go on....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Looks like it's at 22+ but I think some have changed plans but not changed sign up. Maybe folks could take a look at the sign up and update as needed as we're so much closer now??

I think the name "VX Run" is fine as the VXers "host" the run...everyone is welcome. Kind of like you don't have to have a Jeep to go to the Easter Jeep Safari.
    I have wanted to do Eliphant Hill and have not done it yet.
    As for trail selection it sould be stock friendly but at the same time offer some challenge so the driver can get a feel of what the vehicle is capable of. That was the balance that Todd always shot for. That way newbs feel more comfortable on future trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I think the name "VX Run" is fine as the VXers "host" the run...everyone is welcome.
    X2...We dropped the"ONLY" several years ago!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I have wanted to do Eliphant Hill and have not done it yet.
    As for trail selection it sould be stock friendly but at the same time offer some challenge so the driver can get a feel of what the vehicle is capable of. That was the balance that Todd always shot for. That way newbs feel more comfortable on future trails.
    Elephant Hill is a very cool trail, with astonishing scenery, and moderate difficulty. It does have the drawback of distance from Moab (around 75 miles), the National Park fee ($10), no dogs allowed, and the fact that the most difficult part of the trail is immediately at the start, which could give some newbs heartburn. However, I have encountered folks in rented Trailblazers on the trail, so everybody should be able to do it. A modest lift would be a good thing, but stockers should be OK with a little spotting in places.

Truthfully though, Elephant Hill might be best left to another day with a smaller group. If we are talking 20+, I don't see any way to have the time to do any of the short hikes like the Joint Trail or the Confluence, which are very cool. I would be happy to lead a smaller group there.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Spiral-bound rocks, soooo much easier to keep your page on the trail.

Heh, I knew maybe half of those at best, and I have a pretty big vocabulary...

[/thread highjack]

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    Heh, I knew maybe half of those at best, and I have a pretty big vocabulary...

[/thread highjack]
    T-J back on......

I can't say that my vocab is very large at all, I just did a quick goog search for "five dollar words" & that was the first list I clicked on...

Copy - paste - BAM...appear to have large vocab...

Top of the world is pretty nice. Thats the trail I think I initially destroyed my shock on lol (it officially broke in bull canyon and tusher tunnel). But only because I was alone (yes I know) at 6pm with nobody else on the trail and not having done it before I didnt know what to expect and didnt want to get stuck on a ledge climbing back out. So I hit one a little hard. Stock vx should have no problem. With the short wheel base they have an advantage on that type of stuff over my rodeo. There are a few places that are kind of dug out but there were rocks stacked on the tougher parts when I did it.

These are probably the worst spots..

This one worried me the most. With my long wheel base and locker I was afraid of slipping and putting the rear tire in the hole on the inside of the curve. Doesnt look like it in the pic but leans towards the hole. A vx will have no problem with their wheelbase...

For GPS waypoints you can d/l them directly from Wells' web site. Each trail is a separate file so may take a bit to do.

http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=24

Or you can d/l a single file thanks to the guys at colorado4x4.org

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showp...56&postcount=5

I've never done elephant hill. Whether its the vx run or you just want to run it again this year let me know steve and I'll go.

Fins n things is much easier to follow now. Last year there were a lot of new signs up. I think the one wrong turn that everyone takes is the dead end before you get to the morning glory arch over look.

Baby lionsback isnt part of any of the trails in that area. Its a separate obsticle on the way to hells revenge and FnT. Its really not bad, just a bit scary coming down the back side the first time.
    Last edited by Gizmo42 : 03/16/2010 at 04:11 PM

I posted this link on another thread but thought this is a better place. http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?id=33005
    This is the Red Rock 4-Wheelers Easter jeep Safari Paper. All of their trails are listed with difficulty ratings and descriptions. All of these trails are so well marked that about all you need is the start location anymore. Have fun planning and I wish we could be there this year but alas work duties are getting in the way.
    Todd