Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
I have wanted to do Eliphant Hill and have not done it yet.
As for trail selection it sould be stock friendly but at the same time offer some challenge so the driver can get a feel of what the vehicle is capable of. That was the balance that Todd always shot for. That way newbs feel more comfortable on future trails.
Elephant Hill is a very cool trail, with astonishing scenery, and moderate difficulty. It does have the drawback of distance from Moab (around 75 miles), the National Park fee ($10), no dogs allowed, and the fact that the most difficult part of the trail is immediately at the start, which could give some newbs heartburn. However, I have encountered folks in rented Trailblazers on the trail, so everybody should be able to do it. A modest lift would be a good thing, but stockers should be OK with a little spotting in places.

Truthfully though, Elephant Hill might be best left to another day with a smaller group. If we are talking 20+, I don't see any way to have the time to do any of the short hikes like the Joint Trail or the Confluence, which are very cool. I would be happy to lead a smaller group there.