Thread: My VX hauler/camper project

My VX hauler/camper project

Well, I know it isn't directly on my VX, but it is for the VX. I am adding a frame to my VX hauler for a tent. This way when I pull into the campground, I unload the VX and pop up the frame and voila, I have a 6x14 tent that is off the ground, the trailer has power, no worries about rain/mud, stakes and so on. I did all this this morning, gonna fit the tent up when I get back from work in a few hours. I will post more pics when I am done. This project will cost me a total of about 120 bucks. Not bad, I got a 10x14 tent at a thrift store, had bad poles, but I didn't want those anyway. The rest is EMT conduit, and I got the joints at the local flea market for 5 bucks a piece. See what happens when I get bored...now all I have to do is cover the trailer center floor. Luckily I have a few sheets of aluminum from my failed skid plate business left over in the garage I forgot about. I need to get about half a sheet to finish.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Alright, so far so good, it looks like a redneck trailer park. Room for two full sized beds. It worked out perfect, I have some fine tuning to do, but it worked as I planned, for once. I have a huge tarp to use as a rain fly, and as an awning. The disadvantage is getting in and out of the tent. Its a pretty high step up. Here are a few pics of the semi-final product:

I love the idea, but wouldn't it be easier to unload the tent out of it's bag and set it up. Here, it seems like you will still have to unload your stuff from the trailer and set up the tent trailer.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    I love the idea, but wouldn't it be easier to unload the tent out of it's bag and set it up. Here, it seems like you will still have to unload your stuff from the trailer and set up the tent trailer.
    Peace.
    Tom
    Here lies the problem, a lot of campgrounds, especially in rocky areas, don't have flat spots big enough for huge tents and driving stakes in rocky clay sucks. This way i have a guaranteed flat area, and no stakes at all. Saves a lot of time on setup, and I can move it around as needed if I get a small site. Plus no matter how much it rains, I am staying dry

that should be fun around 60mph...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

I don't think he means to have it up while driving... but that does bring up a good point. How resistant do you think it will be to cross winds? I'm sure it's not a problem in Moab, but when I've camped in the OBX we've had to reinforce the tent stakes and side panels to keep the tent from blowing away. (For those that don't know, wind can be unreal there at times, which is why the Wright brothers chose the location for their flight.)

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I don't think he means to have it up while driving... but that does bring up a good point. How resistant do you think it will be to cross winds? I'm sure it's not a problem in Moab, but when I've camped in the OBX we've had to reinforce the tent stakes and side panels to keep the tent from blowing away. (For those that don't know, wind can be unreal there at times, which is why the Wright brothers chose the location for their flight.)
    Yes, I thought about that and it was very windy while I was setting it up. I still have another nice tent if the weather forecast is calling for windy. Fortunately, Uwharrie is all forested. Not too much wind, and the glory of this setup is that I can reorient the trailer as needed to not be crosswind.

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/features

Same idea......kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Very cool, too bad it wont hold a VX. Mine was cheap, but I do like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    too bad it wont hold a VX.
    Ha!

I never thought of it in a "vice versa" situation.

Perhaps you just invented a new money maker.

I finished filling in the center of trailer with a wooden deck. But since I am not taking the family with me on this trip, I found this on Ebay. Chinese junk, but took <10 min to set up, and its decent. At 90bucks, I have no problem with it. When I set it up for real, it will be straight, and goes over the back of the bed as well. I was just making sure I could do it alone, and that it fit. It was made for a 6.5-8ft bed, but it worked just fine on my supercrew. Yippee!!! No more two hour camp setup. If you notice the hitch, you can see my backup light. I can set it to utility and use the remote for the doors to turn it on. Its pretty bright, so now I have a convenient light to use if need be as well.

i thought the whole point was hauling your VX, if so, and why not.....love to see it have a triple axle,for added stability, ease of backing up, and just peace of mind knowing if it blows a tire things aint gonna get ugly.... and WITH FENDERS!!!!!!!!!!!! a must
    Last edited by VXjunky : 03/23/2011 at 05:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by VXjunky View Post
    i thought the whole point was hauling your VX, if so, and why not.....love to see it have a triple axle,for added stability, ease of backing up, and just peace of mind knowing if it blows a tire things aint gonna get ugly.... and WITH FENDERS!!!!!!!!!!!! a must
    LOL, this was a very bored time in my life. The trailer was for hauling the VX, and no way on the triple axle, too expensive on tires and makes close quarters manuevering difficult. As for the fenders, I took them off to gain room on the platform. When you go to wider tires, larger offset, you need more room. This way I can haul other vehicles if needed.
    I sold that trailer quite some time ago anyway

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I don't think he means to have it up while driving... but that does bring up a good point. How resistant do you think it will be to cross winds? I'm sure it's not a problem in Moab...
    Actually Moab can be very windy! I make a point of using 10" spikes to guy wire my tent down when I am there.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...