Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascinder's 1-Ton VX... Cont'd

That's recockulous!

Bart

So Team Venture... are you going to entertain us with your latest updates? I got my bib and water-proof keyboard ready!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Sorry, very little progress to report. I've been busy working on the Patrol nonstop. That little POS is being the opposite of what I got it for. So far, I've:

1. Replaced the rear leaf springs
    2. Cut off and rewelded the forward spring perches on said leafs since the replacements were longer than anticipated and were maxing out the shackles
    3. Made new shackles for said leafs since no one makes shackles for this little "gem"
    4. Installed new U-bolts for rear leafs
    5. Installed add a leafs to the front along with new ubolts and studs
    6. Installed new shocks all the way around
    7. Removed non working generator
    8. Fabricated bracket for alternator to replace generator
    9. Rigged alternator into some semblance of working
    10. Measured and ordered new belt since old one doesn't fit any longer
    11. Replaced Optima battery (VX's old battery) since it wouldn't take a charge
    12. Switched over from the positive ground system to a conventional negative grounded one
    13. Swapped out the push button starter since the old one sucked
    14. Sheared off the original seatbelt bolts and installed new ones.
    15. Bled brakes 4 times to no avail
    16. Replaced brake light switch, bled brakes again, still no satisfaction
    17. Replaced oil cap with a breather
    18. Swapped out tires to some 32-11.50-15's
    19. Removed rear swaybar, now unneccessary since shocks are adjustable from anywhere between pillow to rock settings
    20. Sheared off front turn signal mounting bolts, also still working on that one
    21. Replaced wipers with some that weren't petrified
    22. Changed oil and oil filter, bought fluids for trans, transfer case, and differentials
    23. About a million other stupid little BS things that so far have amounted to very little.

On the plus side, it's nearing completion so I'll be back to the VX soon.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

OUCH! Well at least you got S-10 springs! Was the K-5 in such bad shape that the Patrol just had to be better or what? It seemed fine other than no 4wd and back window. I imagine you are working with drums all the way around... any of the wheel cylinders leaking? Maybe try out an old Healey master cylinder?

Maybe try out an old Healey master cylinder?
    Well, I actually do have a brand new wilwood master cylinder sitting on the bench that was headed for the VX......but I'm trying not to cannibalize virgin parts for the sake of an old beater vehicle.

I imagine you are working with drums all the way around... any of the wheel cylinders leaking?
    Yes, and I hate them with much vigor!!! The front have two cylinder each, and the rears have one each and an adjuster on the bottoms. So far I have only been able to get one drum off because they are rusted in place so bad. Again, I really hate drum brakes.

Was the K-5 in such bad shape that the Patrol just had to be better or what? It seemed fine other than no 4wd and back window.
    The blazer is a decent rig, but the real clincher for me was mileage. It costs an arm and a leg just to drive it around town, not to mention taking any trips. The absence of 4WD was a PITA too. Plus, the Blazer just doesn't have any panache, spunk, or moxy, as a former VX owner you should know that

HAHA! You have to ADD the panache to a Blazer; that's one of the reasons I got one!

So I just pulled the trigger on these(sorry for the huge pic, I didn't take it):

I guess if spending money=making progress then I'm doing alright. Billy will be happy to see these no doubt. They're no Trepadors, but the price was an absolute no pass up situation. For those wondering they are Maxxis M8090 Creepy Crawlers of the 37X12.50-16 variety.
    Last edited by Ascinder : 11/08/2017 at 03:27 PM

SICK! Love em, good choice.

Bart

SWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!
    Are those the regular compound or the stickies?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

To my knowledge they are regular, but from what I am hearing there isn't a huge difference between Maxxis' regulars and stickies. Now I just have to find some 16X10 alloys with an 8 on 6.5 lug pattern, preferably with beadlocks and also some that don't look like everything else out there. I'll let you know when I get those and the unicorn, leprechaun, and all the other seemingly impossible to find things out there

You can use any wheel you like that fits and just get a weld on beadlock kit or internal bead locks (staun's). Those tires grip great especially if you warm em up a bit.

Get some recentered H1 beadlocks with rock rings, it's a double beadlock, cheap (as far as beadlocks are concerned) and look pretty sweet IMO

1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    To my knowledge they are regular, but from what I am hearing there isn't a huge difference between Maxxis' regulars and stickies. Now I just have to find some 16X10 alloys with an 8 on 6.5 lug pattern, preferably with beadlocks and also some that don't look like everything else out there. I'll let you know when I get those and the unicorn, leprechaun, and all the other seemingly impossible to find things out there
    That spec combo isn't too hard to find really. I found a used set in Denver recently for the beater truck for less than 150! If you can find something closer to a positive offset rim you may be able to leave the axles uncut. Diggin those tires tho!

You can have the backspacing set at whatever you want (within reason) on those H1's

Check out Starzworks for some really nice beadlocks.