The Atlas is no doubt a great t-case... my projects lately tho are ranging from a '94 3/4-ton GMC Sierra up to a 1-1/4 ton M1008 CUCV - both use a Detroit diesel. BIG SMELLY TRUCKS! Your VX will be no light-weight when all is said and done but my trucks are far different.

Look at the beef in the bottom two pics in this LINK. My 3/4 ton is deemed to be my expo rig with a WilderNest camper shell or something like that. I will be carrying a lot of weight. The doubler would just add to that weight and it's not needed anyway. I don't think an Atlas would hold up to everything the LoMax would. Plus in kit form, the LoMax is below $1400 and I have a good friend in Wyo who owns his own mechanic shop... my issue is they have yet to offer it in a driver's drop configuration for my '94. For the Army truck though, it's perfect! The STAK is always referred to by the GM full-size guys... and check out the brake setup at the bottom of this LINK. Besides, if there is something I learned from VXers it's that the most popular option MUST be shunned for no reason at all!