Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascinder's 1-Ton VX... Cont'd

another good place

http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Custom-Hummer-Wheels/

less than $300 a wheel with ALL options (welded on rock ring, powder coated wheel and rock ring, flat center with custom backspacing, pvc insert for beadlock, etc), not bad IMO for a double beadlock. Starzwork's has some sweet wheels though!
    Last edited by RamAirZ : 08/14/2010 at 03:35 PM
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    You can have the backspacing set at whatever you want (within reason) on those H1's
    The H1 wheels are 16.5's tho - are the recenters down-sized to 16" somehow?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Get some recentered H1 beadlocks with rock rings, it's a double beadlock, cheap (as far as beadlocks are concerned) and look pretty sweet IMO
    That would be great, but H1 beadlocks are 16.5 IIRC. I don't think they'd fit properly. I was actually going to get those(from trailworthyfab.com) but I figured they wouldn't fit the 16" tires.

You can use any wheel you like that fits and just get a weld on beadlock kit or internal bead locks (staun's). Those tires grip great especially if you warm em up a bit.
    Unfortunately, I just read this over at Pirate:

8/10/2010 update: Staun Products in Australia has reportedly gone out of business and is no longer shipping beadlock product. Deflators are still available at this time.
    Sorry for the confusion.

That spec combo isn't too hard to find really. I found a used set in Denver recently for the beater truck for less than 150! If you can find something closer to a positive offset rim you may be able to leave the axles uncut. Diggin those tires tho!
    I have yet to find a set anywhere near here. I checked craigslist and all the usual rim and tire places, but either everything's the wrong size or they look like clone-a-jeep wheels or gangsta-chrome specials. I saw some 16X8's and thats about it. Remember, I want to stick with aluminum if possible since the wheels themselves already weigh in at 75 lbs. a pop. I may just buy some rims and have them converted. I'm liking these:

Last edited by Ascinder : 08/14/2010 at 04:13 PM
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

darn it, your right. I misread your tire size and thought it said 16.5, so no they wouldn't fit. I found 41 matches for 16x10 rims on 8x6.5 bolt pattern at summitracing in aluminum

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...m/?Ns=Rank|Asc

I've always liked the Classic Locks from Mickey Thompson

Last edited by RamAirZ : 08/14/2010 at 04:37 PM

Allied Wheels has some beadlocks in 16x10

http://www.alliedwheel.com/wheel.php...208%20Beadlock

I found 41 matches for 16x10 rims on 8x6.5 bolt pattern at summitracing in aluminum

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...m/?Ns=Rank|Asc

I've always liked the Classic Locks from Mickey Thompson
    Yeah, we have summit right here in town, so that was one of the first places I looked. I'm just not a fan of most of those. I guess my gripe is that the vast majority of wheels with concentric circles tend to look like the same stuff you see on just about every truck or suv out there. I know my old VX rims had those, but they definitely looked different. The other gripe I guess I have is a lot of wheels look like they're made of cheap shiny plastic. I don't know if it's just me, but it drives me nuts. I may just have a bias against 8 lug wheels too, because I just seem to find a lot more wheels that I like in a six lug pattern only.

Allied Wheels has some beadlocks in 16x10

http://www.alliedwheel.com/wheel.php...208%20Beadlock
    Yeah, but that is the exact kind I'm trying to avoid hence the clone-a-jeep jab I think I'm starting to settle on either some OMF's:

or more likely Racelines since they are very highly recommended:

X2 on the Racelines!

I mount my tires myself, since I have to change them so often for these different races, and even at a GPS clocked 110mph I felt no wobble, shimmy, or shake with no balancing!

They will bend if you hit a 2 foot tall boulder at 70mph in a blind corner. But thats really just ****ty driving!

Great looking wheels and very tough, at a fair price!

Racelines it is.

Rick.

10 miles of traction tough!!! Took us to a 2nd place class finish in the XO 250!

They also have a mismatched "set" of Forged beadlocks on clearance HERE they're the first set on the page. Forged is super nice because they are super light and super strong. And $229 for beadlocks is cheap by anyone's standards.

I like those OMF's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    I like those OMF's!!!
    Those are what Jay had put on his FJ. They converted his stock FJ rims.

--Dave

There's definitely pros and cons on any rim I decide to run. Right now I'm leaning strongly towards the Racelines over the OMF's, but I got a taste of some hutchinsons in the last few days and I really want some of those. Here's a side by side comparison of the three:

Name: Raceline

Pros: Forged aluminum is stronger and lighter than cast, and won't shatter. Made in the USA rims. The set I would get is half price. Lightest of the three so parasitic losses are minimized. Brand new. Has a great reputation in the offroad community as being tough and well made.

Cons: Set I would get is mismatched, so cosmetically unappealing, and potential resale diminished. Still more expensive than Hutchinsons. Single beadlock. Not recommended for on road use.

Bottom Line: Great for performance, not so great from an aesthetic standpoint.

Name: OMF

Pros: Goes on just about any rim you can come up with. Attractive styling and beautiful finish. Looks like performance stuff.

Cons: Costs $200-300 per wheel to have converted plus two way shipping, plus the cost of the wheels themselves, which at that price would be cast stockers. Depending on a welded lock to hold everything together. Not recommended for on road use.

Bottom Line: Great eye candy, but questionable for true hardcore use

Name: Hutchinson

Pros: Relatively cheap as far as beadlocks go. I almost scored a set for $500 the other day. Double beadlock holds both sides of the tire in place. Relatively indestructible beefy solid design. Made in USA, may or may not be forged. DOT approved for on road use.

Cons: Rare as can be. Heavy duty design is heavy. Requires a new 16" O-ring every time you take them apart. Not the most visually appealing rims I can think of, in fact, far from it. Looks like stock fullsize truck rims.

Bottom Line: Ugly as sin, but they do the job like a champ-if you can find some

That's why I was lookin for them for the expo rig - "ugly full size truck rims". Your VX is shaping up to be a full size truck anyway tho. :P I guess we both missed out on 'em... this time! I reeaaalllyy didn't need 35"s laying around yet anyway. ;( yeah right. We both want two sets of tires... we should try again soon!

Those OMF one's on Jay's FJ are sick looking! It's a tough call, I hate shopping for wheels. I'm glad I already knew what I wanted to try on the VX before I got it lol

I like the Hutchinson wheels. If wheels were guns they would look like this:

All business.

Bart

If you are interestd in the internal beadlocks rjroffroad.com had the stauns on clearance sale. Also there is another company making them. I'll see if I can find their info.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

The other company is innerairlock.com...they look identical to the stauns except color.

That's why I was lookin for them for the expo rig - "ugly full size truck rims". Your VX is shaping up to be a full size truck anyway tho. :P I guess we both missed out on 'em... this time! I reeaaalllyy didn't need 35"s laying around yet anyway. ;( yeah right. We both want two sets of tires... we should try again soon!
    Agreed, let's both keep our eyes open, maybe something will materialize. I put up a wanted post over at Pirate, maybe someone's been sitting on a set or two.

I like the Hutchinson wheels. If wheels were guns they would look like this: All business.
    LOL, yeah, they do look tough, but I'm just not a fan of the fullsize look wheels. They just all look like the same five designs they've been rehashing since the 70's. I will say at least the hutchinsons are one of the designs I could live with. They do have a certain THUD charm I guess.

If you are interestd in the internal beadlocks rjroffroad.com had the stauns on clearance sale. Also there is another company making them. I'll see if I can find their info.
    The other company is innerairlock.com...they look identical to the stauns except color.
    I'm definitely staying away from the inflatables. Stazworks is out of business, and from what I could tell they were the forerunner in that type of beadlock. Not such a warm fuzzy feeling. From what I've been told they are an absolute PITA to work with especially on the trail, tricky to balance, and some people report going through the tubes on a higher frequency than I'd like. One guy also said he cut a tires sidewall because it got pinched between the rock and the innertube causing a "pinch flat". I have heard of the innerairlocks too, but like you said, they are pretty much the same. I like the hutchinsons, it's just finding them that's hard. Also, their parts support is somewhat questionable.