Thread: Ascinder's 1-Ton VX... Cont'd

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I like those OMF's!!!
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    I like those OMF's!!!
    Those are what Jay had put on his FJ. They converted his stock FJ rims.

--Dave

There's definitely pros and cons on any rim I decide to run. Right now I'm leaning strongly towards the Racelines over the OMF's, but I got a taste of some hutchinsons in the last few days and I really want some of those. Here's a side by side comparison of the three:

Name: Raceline

Pros: Forged aluminum is stronger and lighter than cast, and won't shatter. Made in the USA rims. The set I would get is half price. Lightest of the three so parasitic losses are minimized. Brand new. Has a great reputation in the offroad community as being tough and well made.

Cons: Set I would get is mismatched, so cosmetically unappealing, and potential resale diminished. Still more expensive than Hutchinsons. Single beadlock. Not recommended for on road use.

Bottom Line: Great for performance, not so great from an aesthetic standpoint.

Name: OMF

Pros: Goes on just about any rim you can come up with. Attractive styling and beautiful finish. Looks like performance stuff.

Cons: Costs $200-300 per wheel to have converted plus two way shipping, plus the cost of the wheels themselves, which at that price would be cast stockers. Depending on a welded lock to hold everything together. Not recommended for on road use.

Bottom Line: Great eye candy, but questionable for true hardcore use

Name: Hutchinson

Pros: Relatively cheap as far as beadlocks go. I almost scored a set for $500 the other day. Double beadlock holds both sides of the tire in place. Relatively indestructible beefy solid design. Made in USA, may or may not be forged. DOT approved for on road use.

Cons: Rare as can be. Heavy duty design is heavy. Requires a new 16" O-ring every time you take them apart. Not the most visually appealing rims I can think of, in fact, far from it. Looks like stock fullsize truck rims.

Bottom Line: Ugly as sin, but they do the job like a champ-if you can find some
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.