Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascinder's 1-Ton VX... Cont'd

All business indeed!

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Veddy niiice! How's your back? Is that combo around 120 lbs or so?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Dude, that setup looks NASTY. So, where are you at with the project percentage wise? 50% done? 75%? Almost there?

Bart

Veddy niiice! How's your back? Is that combo around 120 lbs or so?
    Close, 116.5 including the centramatics and all the nuts holding the wheels together. This is without the inner beadlock portions which I'm estimating at 7-12 lbs. So we are looking at close to 130 a piece. In answer to your question though, they sucked to move upstairs in the heat, so I was a little sore and a lot tired Moving them back down should be fun though

Dude, that setup looks NASTY. So, where are you at with the project percentage wise? 50% done? 75%? Almost there?
    I would honestly say 45% realistically. I don't really feel like I'm quite over the hump yet. I have a lot of what I need, so probably not a lot of waiting for parts, but I need a plasma cutter something fierce right now, but can't bring myself to justify the cost for how much I'll be using it. Maybe I should "borrow" the one from the facility for the day Other than that, there is just a lot of ancillary things to do like get a hold of sensors for the engine and stuff. The order of things is a mess too, it's always take things apart, put them back on for a test fit, take them off cause they're in the way, wash ,rinse, repeat. I have to take the rims out to guard to sandblast them, then order the powder, then shoot them and bake them. Also have to order the 16" o-rings they take and I'd like to scare up some new hardware for holding them together since the current stuff looks a bit I may even go really hardcore and drill some safety wire holes for the nuts.

Yeah, after Japan and after the Falcon sells I will be doing up my garage. I can't wait. It just seems like money goes out at warp speed and comes in in slow motion.

Bart

Alright boys and girls, I just threw down on a Plasma cutter/ AC/DC Tig combo unit(Longevity Weldall 200PI) so the real fabbing is about to begin. It will be replacing a harbor freight cheapie tig unit that could barely stick two pieces of tinfoil together and an oxy acetylene torch that well, just didn't cut as well as a plasma can. This new unit is eventually destined to end up as the torch on a 2 axis CNC plasma table, but in the meantime, it'll be tasked with carving up the VX and burning on some heavy duty mounts. I am also just finishing up most of the loose ends on the engine. I just got a 1/2" tubing bender(Swagelok MS-HTB-8) rated for stainless(read $$$) and a flaring tool(Ridgid 375) for the same. I also grabbed a Protools HSN 500 tube notcher for the upcoming chassis/rollcage/shock hoop fabricating. Also been replacing the split loom on the wiring harness since the old stuff was hardened with age and oil/grease/dirt soaked. The 18" diameter, 4 foot long, 3/4" thick sewer pipe is down at the local plastics manufacturer/distributor getting chopped up into little pieces to become the beadlock wheel inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Alright boys and girls, I just threw down on a Plasma cutter/ AC/DC Tig combo unit(Longevity Weldall 200PI) so the real fabbing is about to begin. It will be replacing a harbor freight cheapie tig unit that could barely stick two pieces of tinfoil together and an oxy acetylene torch that well, just didn't cut as well as a plasma can. This new unit is eventually destined to end up as the torch on a 2 axis CNC plasma table, but in the meantime, it'll be tasked with carving up the VX and burning on some heavy duty mounts. I am also just finishing up most of the loose ends on the engine. I just got a 1/2" tubing bender(Swagelok MS-HTB-8) rated for stainless(read $$$) and a flaring tool(Ridgid 375) for the same. I also grabbed a Protools HSN 500 tube notcher for the upcoming chassis/rollcage/shock hoop fabricating. Also been replacing the split loom on the wiring harness since the old stuff was hardened with age and oil/grease/dirt soaked. The 18" diameter, 4 foot long, 3/4" thick sewer pipe is down at the local plastics manufacturer/distributor getting chopped up into little pieces to become the beadlock wheel inserts.
    *sigh*...insert jealous smiley here

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Can I come live in your garage for a while?

Why do I feel like eventually you'll be able to make new VX's from scratch in your garage?

FINALLY SOME PROGRESS!!! (The fact that's coming from me is what makes it funny.)
    I checked on some combo units and that is the one I figured I could actually afford and use. And then life got in my face again and I realized I can't afford it afterall. So that means... I'll be coming to your house again soon!

hahahahahaha

Fab party at Ascinder's house!

Can I come live in your garage for a while?
    Yes, I need the help

Why do I feel like eventually you'll be able to make new VX's from scratch in your garage?
    Because I will, I mean, someone's got to

FINALLY SOME PROGRESS!!! (The fact that's coming from me is what makes it funny.)
    Speaking of which,"Hey pot, this is kettle, how's your project coming? Haven't heard anything in while...."

I checked on some combo units and that is the one I figured I could actually afford and use.
    They'll knock an extra couple hundred bucks off with that "make an offer" deal they have going on. Stop buying Jeeps and you can get one(says the hippocrite)

So that means... I'll be coming to your house again soon!
    Well what are you waiting for? Let's have a "build Ascinder's Vehicross" group meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tookie View Post
    hahahahahaha

Fab party at Ascinder's house!
    WHAT KIND OF PARTY??

Wait, I read that wrong, carry on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Speaking of which,"Hey pot, this is kettle, how's your project coming? Haven't heard anything in while...."

They'll knock an extra couple hundred bucks off with that "make an offer" deal they have going on. Stop buying Jeeps and you can get one(says the hippocrite)

Well what are you waiting for? Let's have a "build Ascinder's Vehicross" group meet.
    I do need to update my build progress but it is once again on hold cuz I have till the 12th to get rid of a few project trucks and clean up the city's property... I mean MY property. ..|..

Plus since my tree broke off 20 years of growth and that put 10 holes in my roof before BMan I'm getting nickle and dimed out of my build money. So no new cool tools for me yet. Tip: Never buy a house!