Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Ascinder's 1-Ton VX... Cont'd

Well, I've been working on the front axle mostly. I already had well placed concerns after reading about the Ford Kingpin knuckles being weaker than their Chevy or Dodge counterparts an cracking or failing. I had been planning on either welding on reinforcements(they have a nice kit for that now) or getting some stronger aftermarket knuckles. Well, after seeing this:

I decided I was sold on fixing the problem before it got started. I probably am not running big enough tires to damage a stock knuckle, but in the spirit of the build I went with the maximum overkill option

Behold, the Kingpin Dana 60 SOLID Knuckle:

I also got forged dana 70 style inner C's to hang the knuckles on:

Then come the keyed highsteer arms with ARP studs:

I am also thinking about some of these heavier duty kingpin bushings vs. the stock nylon bushings:

And, since I was a good little boy this year, I had a special visit from hotrod santa

who brought me a set of aluminum AN wrenches and this:

and this(except blue):

I have also been successful cutting off only one bracket so far, but I have all weekend to work on it too. Hopefully the tax return will be good this year, and/or some lucky soul finally buys my engine so I can at least complete the steering($$$) and start working up the suspension(also $$$, but more so). For the front axle I am also considering drive slugs, but I do like the idea of being able to disconnect the hubs since it cuts out the parasitic drag of the axles themselves along with the ring/pinion and front driveshaft. With slugs, they are much stronger, but you are always lugging around the front drivetrain. I am also on the fence between some CTM axles or the RCV 60 CV axles. I just really don't like the idea of going back to a CV boot no matter how well it's designed.
    Last edited by Ascinder : 11/08/2017 at 03:36 PM
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

The Chevy 60 axle shafts neck down and are weaker than the Ford 60 apparently... my Chevy 60 is still in need of a kingpin rebuild... I trailered AWOL to the shop in Wyoming at Christmas time actually! Excited to get that thing back running!

Those parts are some BEEF yet again! Did you finger out which ram setup you are going to use? I think you should hold off on the slugs cuz they are so easy to add later if you so desire. Same goes for the axle shafts. I know you want to do everything in a manner that leaves you unable to say "I wish I would have done it this way". But... you are going to have serious bug squashing to do during the build and after when you hit pavement and after that when you hit dirt/rocks. I think perhaps some prioritizing is in order? Any time I find myself mentioning budget concerns I refocus on what I can do to further the project and break things in to phases accordingly. Simple things you know you can do later without compromising the final goal should be taken into account. Just my pesos.

P.S. - Remember you, Bart, and I talked about me moving to Reno and all of us renting a building to act as our shop where we could split costs of tools? Well... you have the TIG/plasma... in about 2 weeks my tube bender (with 1 3/4" 6" radius die) will be here... I am still deciding which notcher I want to order tho. Until I move and we get that shop... maybe we should plan on a couple of road trips this year to do some bending and welding in both our locales!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    P.S. - Remember you, Bart, and I talked about me moving to Reno and all of us renting a building to act as our shop where we could split costs of tools? Well... you have the TIG/plasma... in about 2 weeks my tube bender (with 1 3/4" 6" radius die) will be here... I am still deciding which notcher I want to order tho. Until I move and we get that shop... maybe we should plan on a couple of road trips this year to do some bending and welding in both our locales!
    If you move to Reno I am 100% down with this idea!!!! You know you want to!! We have real beer here.

Bart

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Justin, I totally see where you are coming from with the "get it done, then mess with it" line of thought, but remember, I like to pre plan out way ahead, so all my research is pretty much done and I just go do it when the time comes. I remember reading about the neck down shafts before too. Are you going to just try and find some from another D60 or wait until you actually need them? As for your meeting up idea, I'm all for it. What kind of bender are you looking at getting? The one I was building uses pro tools 105 dies. I haven't had the opportunity to use my tube notcher yet I think it's made by protools too, but if you need one in the meantime, I can mail it over to you. Also, do you remember what that site was that you told me about with the LS motor mounts that were adjustable?
    Last edited by Ascinder : 01/03/2011 at 05:44 PM

A friend of mine that I used to work with here has the bend tech bending system in his garage. He told me he will help me finish the Trooper bumper. I really need to get with him soon and make it happen. I'll talk to him about the bend tech stuff and see what kinda money he has into it. I would love to have that setup at my disposal.

Bart

Looking great man, have you found those tensioner bolts yet? I probably have some if you need them. Also are you gonna be running that truck manifold or going to a ls1/ls6 style? I think you mentioned it before but forgot lol. I've got a 6.0 sitting here in the garage I'm thinking of destroking with a 4.8 crank/rods, L92 heads, LS3 intake and some boost, can you say, YYIIPPPEEEE!!!!!
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

I'll talk to him about the bend tech stuff and see what kinda money he has into it. I would love to have that setup at my disposal.
    It's spendy and something I'd love to have, but right now for me it's one of those luxuries I can't afford. If you are doing complex bends like bumpers, rollcages, etc, then it's the cats meow. For simpler things like rock sliders and tube doors it's ridiculous overkill(even for me) Plus I need to finish my bender first. I am calling tomorrow down to my favorite metal shop to see what the damages would be to hydrocut the remainder of the holes I need(there are a lot). I did one main arm on my milling machine, but it's thick metal and large holes, so it eats bits up pretty fast. I have everything already purchased and sitting on a bench at my pops' place, and it's the perfect project to use to play with the new welder. If it looks feasable that they'll be able to do the holes for me, I'll go ahead and order some dies for it.

Looking great man, have you found those tensioner bolts yet? I probably have some if you need them. Also are you gonna be running that truck manifold or going to a ls1/ls6 style? I think you mentioned it before but forgot lol. I've got a 6.0 sitting here in the garage I'm thinking of destroking with a 4.8 crank/rods, L92 heads, LS3 intake and some boost, can you say, YYIIPPPEEEE!!!!!
    All the accessories are bolted up save the power steering as I'm still undecided on what route to take yet. I'm running the L92 truck manifold from a 2010. It's much larger than the old truck manifold and apparently has breathing up around the FAST manifolds. For the engine, I still need to make the fuel rail crossover, and need to buy the MAP sensor and the EVAP system since they are different on the newer manifold and have just recently been released as stocked parts. I also need to find a good wiring diagram for the 2004 truck engine since the one I had is for an actual LS and stuff doesn't match up. Attaching the wiring harness is a trick too due to so many new/different parts vs. stock. Your Boosted 6.0 sounds pretty fun! I seriously almost went that route myself. Can you do me a huge favor and send some pics of the different sides of your 6.0? I really need a good representation of how the wiring is routed around the engine. Mine is on the floor looking like a huge spider/spaghetti/root system.

I'm sure you've seen this...
    Torchmates baby brother, the 2x2

You have no idea how much I over those. Torchmate is right here in Reno too, so I could literally just go pick one up. I have so many ideas that a CNC table could be used for it's just plain silly, especially combined with all the other fab crap I have lying around here. If had an available credit card one of those would be sitting in my garage right now. I already have a 3 axis CNC setup on my mill/lathe that could likely be adapted over to work, but I have had issues with it from the start(I think it needs new cables). You can also build the tables from scratch and evidently it isn't that hard. Maybe if I get the tube bender done and can make some cool VX products, I could find a way to fund the table to make even more cool VX products. That stuff is a slippery slope though since I already find enough ways to slack off on building the VX as it is

Yep, Dallas (stinkyfab) has the big boy version in his shop and using it for cutting all kinds of sweet stuff. He loves it. Torchmate are always set up at the werock comps demoing the tables and cutting out the trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Justin, I totally see where you are coming from with the "get it done, then mess with it" line of thought, but remember, I like to pre plan out way ahead, so all my research is pretty much done and I just go do it when the time comes. I'm just preaching the 'happy medium' point of view that I can't seem to follow either. I remember reading about the neck down shafts before too. Are you going to just try and find some from another D60 or wait until you actually need them? I'm just gonna kick it with what I have for as long as I can - AWOL is the budget build. As for your meeting up idea, I'm all for it. What kind of bender are you looking at getting? The one I was building uses pro tools 105 dies. Yep I got the Pro Tools 105 HD kit with a 240 degree die - I guess the die weighs over 50 lbs or some crap! The whole thing will be here on the 11th!!! I haven't had the opportunity to use my tube notcher yet I think it's made by protools too, but if you need one in the meantime, I can mail it over to you. Well, that's cool! I am currently trying to focus on the dash and wiring and hope to install that the first week of Feb. So still planning out the rad support and crossmember design for now. I'll get to welding a bunch of stuff when it warms up. Also, do you remember what that site was that you told me about with the LS motor mounts that were adjustable? I think you mean http://dirtydingo.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    YYIIPPPEEEE!!!!!

I also need to find a good wiring diagram for the 2004 truck engine since the one I had is for an actual LS and stuff doesn't match up. Attaching the wiring harness is a trick too due to so many new/different parts vs. stock. Amen! This thinking has convinced me to purchase a steering column from another Sierra so I can just plug in play everything but the windows and doors locks. I have all the wiring from the donor Sierra column but wasn't thinking about installing the complete column at the time - dumbazz! Your Boosted 6.0 sounds pretty fun! I seriously almost went that route myself. Can you do me a huge favor and send some pics of the different sides of your 6.0? I really need a good representation of how the wiring is routed around the engine. Mine is on the floor looking like a huge spider/spaghetti/root system.
    Beau, we took HD video of the wiring on the donor truck before removing it - 5.3 and 6.0 should be identical... lemme know if you want it and I'll see what I can do...

I think you mean http://dirtydingo.com/
    I knew it was something like that, I kept wanting to say funky ferret or jackass jackal or creepy coyote, but it was that dirty dingo all along....

Beau, we took HD video of the wiring on the donor truck before removing it - 5.3 and 6.0 should be identical... lemme know if you want it and I'll see what I can do...
    You sir, are a saviour!! If you can use one of those sites that host large files temporarily or if you can burn off a disc or something let me know and I'll send you whatever it costs for incidentals. That video would seriously save my bacon right about now! Also, on a separate note, I wonder if that die would fit in a flat rate box.....

I knew it was something like that, I kept wanting to say funky ferret or jackass jackal or creepy coyote, but it was that dirty dingo all along....
    Hey don't make fun of me!

You sir, are a saviour!! If you can use one of those sites that host large files temporarily or if you can burn off a disc or something let me know and I'll send you whatever it costs for incidentals. That video would seriously save my bacon right about now! Also, on a separate note, I wonder if that die would fit in a flat rate box.....
    Well here is a preview of the video we took - this is from my crap cam. The HD video isn't much different from this one - it just looks better. I also have my dad's 6.0 1-ton Sierra here and can take pics of whatever for you... I owe you and Bart phone calls still btw! Also that die would be expensive to ship - round trip may be almost half price, no?

Well here is a preview of the video we took - this is from my crap cam. The HD video isn't much different from this one - it just looks better.
    Yeah, what I'm after is maybe like an engine on a stand where you would be able to see how the wiring harness wraps around it and how it attaches at various points to the engine. I am also looking for something showing what each plug on the wiring harness actually goes to. A fair amount of them I already know or can guess, but there are a few that I have no idea.

Also that die would be expensive to ship - round trip may be almost half price, no?
    As much as I hate pimping a competitor, USPS has the flat rate boxes where if it fits, it ships-for one low price. So if the dies fit in a flat rate box we could send them back and forth as needed for about $11 or 15 each way. It would just make more sense to split out the cost of the die(or get additional different dies) instead of us duplicating fairly spendy tools.