Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ordered new Kevlar MTRs

Ordered new Kevlar MTRs

Well, I finally ordered my new Goodyear kevlar MTRs. I got the 33.4" tires. A bit bigger than my current 32s. I also ordered my Aussie locker and hubs today too. Should have all that done by end of Feb. Cant wait!!!!!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I talked to Mike over at Indy4x, he hasnt heard anything bad at all about them. He said their offroad performance was awesome. If their wear rate follows their previous MTRs, these should be a 40K tire easy. I just like them for the sidewall strength and the asymmetrical tread pattern. Looks cool, and mine have a no questions asked warranty. I rip it, they send me a new one, and I got a 80 dollar rebate....sweet. A set of 4 with S&H and warranty, 1300. The warranty works so that I do not even have to take it in, I just call them and they mail me a new one. Very convenient. I will post pics once they are mounted and a review after the spring Uwharrie meet in April.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...=Light%20Truck

I like my MTR's but they are showing their wear and they have no where near 40,000 miles on them...of course almost all the miles they do have on them are to and from the trail and trail miles!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

MARLIN--- That's super news!!! I was kinda' hoping you'd go huge and get the tall 285/75R18 (35" O.D.), but the 275/70R18 (33.4" O.D.) will be fine I'm sure. Everything I've read about them is outstanding with bullet-proof toughness (perfect for your kind of wheelin').

You ought to mount them White Letter "Out", so they show motion while driving and be showy while the VX is parked. You could also watch them rotate in the reflection of the big store front windows in the mall (that's always fun). Spending that much money on tires; I'd want to shout it out to the world, so mount 'em White Letter "Out"!!!

BTW-- Billy, there are two(2) types of G/Y "M/T-R's". The two(2) types are totally different and have different tread patterns. Which specific model do you have???
    A: M/T-R
    B: M/T-R with Kevlar
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 02/13/2010 at 04:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    MARLIN---

BTW-- Billy, there are two(2) types of G/Y "M/T-R's". The two(2) types are totally different and have different tread patterns. Which specific model do you have???
    A: M/T-R
    B: M/T-R with Kevlar
    The Kevlars just came out in Aug09, so he has the original MTRs. But I am sure running them lowered air pressure and on trails takes its toll. Since I oly put 5K a year on my truck, these tires should last me as long as my engine lasts. I ordered two more General AT2s and I am switching the two best remaining from my truck to my wife's new 2010 F150. The not so good nicked up 3rd AT2 will become my spare. no more bald donut!!!! It is kind of a sad day, once I get the locker installed, the neon lights and the new tires, there isn't much left to do to the old girl. I am going to work a new bumper, something that will conform to the headlight/grill pattern. I have a lifter ticking, but it has done that since day one. Never could clearly hear it with the exhaust leak, but now that is fixed and I can hear plain as day. No problem though, she runs like a champ. I have some stuff to do to the wife's truck, install the dvd player, upgrade crappy factory speakers, lift kit, digital rear view and sensors, and maybe a few other things. Then its all over!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Well, I finally ordered my new Goodyear kevlar MTRs.
    I'm liking mine so far. Put a set of 315/75R/16's on in Aug. and 5000+ miles later I estimate about a 1/8" of tread gone, so they should be good for 30K or so. Like other MT's they're not really designed to ba a DD, but I do it and they handle really well on the road for a large tire, just a bit more wandering on the ruts. They are fairly quiet too, but I expect the noise to go up as they wear.

Wheeling has been great, took a trip to the mountains of N.M. in Sept. and even with the locker/ATRAC on the fritz they just crawled over everything in my path. All in all I like them better than the old style MT/R's I had on the VX, and the asymetrical tread just looks cool too! Just be sure you mount them correctly, there is an inside/outside designation on the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dunford View Post
    Just be sure you mount them correctly, there is an inside/outside designation on the tire.
    That is weird, I was reading a review on one of the jeep sites that said they asked the rep if they were directional, they said they were not. Oh well, looks like Riff gets his wish white letter out.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

That is weird, I was reading a review on one of the jeep sites that said they asked the rep if they were directional, they said they were not. Oh well, looks like Riff gets his wish white letter out.
    If you want em black out, just put em on the other side, they'll be turning the same direction...

Yep, it's wierd but Goodyear makes some sizes with a blackwall out (like mine) and most with the white letters out. They are mildly directional (by looking at the tread), but with the inside/outside being specified the pattern is pointing in different directions on each side. There are 3 different tread lug styles across the tire and the larger, wide spaced lugs are supposed to be on the outside of the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    If you want em black out, just put em on the other side, they'll be turning the same direction...
    No, no, no . . . if you do that time will be reversed and the universe will implode!!

MARLIN--- That's super news!!! I was kinda' hoping you'd go huge and get the tall 285/75R18 (35" O.D.), but the 275/70R18 (33.4" O.D.) will be fine I'm sure.
    Riff, as you frequently ask.....what have you been smokin'?...."hoping you'd go huge"...I'm confused, is the same Riff I know?....

And Marlin....I thought it was imperative to keep your spare the same O.D. as your new tires to prevent screwing up the TOD? 33.4" new tires vs. 32" old.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Riff, as you frequently ask.....what have you been smokin'?...."hoping you'd go huge"...I'm confused, is this the same Riff I know?....
    I was waiting for the "rotating mass/unsprung weight manifesto" too...WTF?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dunford View Post
    No, no, no . . . if you do that time will be reversed and the universe will implode!!
    Dude...that only happens when you divide by zero...

Last edited by Ldub : 02/14/2010 at 04:50 AM

My tire theory is this-- if a VX'er ain't gonna' listen to reason by keeping individual maximum tire weight to no greater than 44 lbs each; and is hell-bent on getting excessively heavy tires, then I say "GO BIG; or, GO HOME!!!"

Thus, my ultimate recommendation for MARLIN was the G/Y M/T-R with Kevlar in 285/75R18 (35" O.D./65 lbs) in BSW and mounted on the Stock OEM 18x7 rims which would greatly help reduce front wheel well rubbing issues to a bare minimum due to the OEM rim's proper offset/backspacing. For MARLIN's "spare", I would recommend the very skinny and lightweight 35" O.D. Mickey-Thompson sand tire of "Baja Pro" in 35x10.0-15 (35" O.D./40 lbs) (Part #2555) and sells for $220 each at www.PerformanceParts4Less.com. This combination remains my best recommendation for MARLIN.

However; despite my best efforts, MARLIN chose the smaller 275/70R18 (33.4" O.D./63 lbs), and saved a whooping 2 lbs per tire. For a "spare", he'll use a 32" O.D. Grabber AT2 from his previous VX set. Yes; it doesn't match the O.D., but as long as it's installed on only the front axle, then it should be OK in an emergency. With the beefy M/T-R with Kevlar, I suspect MARLIN will never get a flat no matter how hard he tries (then again, MARLIN can find a way to break anything).
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 02/14/2010 at 04:43 AM

Talking

My tire theory is this-- if a VX'er ain't gonna' listen to reason by keeping individual maximum tire weight to no greater than 44 lbs each; and are hell-bent on getting excessively heavy tires, then I say "GO BIG; or, GO HOME!!!"

However; despite my best efforts, MARLIN chose the smaller 275/70R18 (33.4" O.D./63 lbs), and saved a whooping 2 lbs per tire.
    So NOW what...

Marlin has to go home?......