Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thinking about some sliders

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Mine were welded, then cut off and frabricated to be removable. Welding plate remained and the attachment occurs with the tube from the slider sliding over the solid tube on the welded plate. It all attaches with bolts and lock washers. Two attachments for each side. It's sweet because I can remove them when not needed (gets your pants dirty when you get out if you're not careful) and put them on when I take it out for some fun.

Can post pics if anyone is interested...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I tried to do some digging on our frames being heat treated sometime last year. It turns out they are, as are many factory frames. I have talked to several offroading places and they've all said that it is acceptable to weld to frames for things like sliders. It's more critical that it's welded right than that it's welded at all. You pretty much need to minimize heat soak into the frame so the affected area is as small as possible. TIG welding would be optimal, but the tight spaces may be a problem.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Knigh7s View Post
    @Knivx

Per the Rocky Road Website:

Do these not come with the template?

Never came with mine? Maybe the lower production rate caused RR not to send out templates with the VX sliders?
    nznsi

I got stric9's on my VX. I picked them over RockyRoads because I had heard a couple complaints online about their customer service. Stric9 was nice, but they take a while due to his real life. I also prefered the weld on to the bolt on, and I haven't had any issues.

Whatever you do, don't use bedliner on your sliders like I did. Makes them a PITA to clean and to patch once you scrap them up.

They are both overbuilt for the usage that most people will put a VX through, or maybe all people, so you are all good there. I have seen Jolly's RockyRoad sliders and they are very similar to Stric9 except for the mounting method.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX