Thread: Thinking about some sliders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I know Jack (pbkid) put some sliders on his VX and I remember him telling me that he had to use a 90 degree drill to get into some of the tight spaces under there. Patience, and a good drill bit, will go a long way.

On a similar note: I had heard that we are NOT supposed to weld to our frames. Something about the heat de-stablizing the metal structure and possibly causing failure. Can anyone confirm/deny my fourth hand information?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I tried to do some digging on our frames being heat treated sometime last year. It turns out they are, as are many factory frames. I have talked to several offroading places and they've all said that it is acceptable to weld to frames for things like sliders. It's more critical that it's welded right than that it's welded at all. You pretty much need to minimize heat soak into the frame so the affected area is as small as possible. TIG welding would be optimal, but the tight spaces may be a problem.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.