I've had a major engine shake (surging, stumbling, knocking when accelerating) for over a year. It would only happen once I had been driving for about 20 min and the engine had warmed up and it would only happen when giving it gas. No shake when coasting. I changed the EGR valve, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, timing belt, and the intake manifold gasket. Nothing helped.

I also have my ABS light always on and my TOD has been acting up. I can hear the TOD "howling" while driving and the TOD lights flicker like a strobe light. I never thought that the engine shake had anything do do with the TOD because the TOD lights would flicker when the acceleration wasn't pulsing but, when I cut the light blue wire to disconnect the TOD, the howling and the surging stopped completely.

Two major questions:

1. What is the problem? the TOD clutch? sensors? transfer case? I'm no mechanic.

2. Has anyone had any long term problems with the 2WD mod on the VX? I know it's not really 2WD. I don't have locking hubs. What am i screwing up?